Reply Music Room
Strange musical tastes? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

adirtyhippy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:20 am
Okay, so... I'm actually making this post for a devious personal reason. I recall posting a while back in the regular Gaia music forum (amidst many, many Jonas Brothers posts D: ) to see if anyone was into Ani Difranco because she is like the best singer-songwriter ever and I'm totally in love with her. Predictably, my thread was completely ignored and is probably wallowing in the vast pit of Not-Jonas-Brothers-Hell.
But considering that I'm in good company now, I wanted to ask again.
Is anyone else here into Ani Difranco? I can't get enough of her. I've been a fan for 10 years now, and so much of her music is like the soundtrack to my life, I swear.

But anywho... despite this burning curiosity about fellow Ani fans, what else do you geezers listen to? I love everything from 80's music (The Cure, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode), NIN, to oldies like The Beatles (who will NEVER get old!!!), to mellower stuff like Jack Johnson or Rufus Wainwright, and off-the-wall stuff like Dead Can Dance, Wolfshiem and Apocolyptica. I'm also a sucker for female artists like Tracy Chapman, Melissa Etheridge, Suzanne Vega, Tori Amos, and recently I'm digging Kinnie Starr. I often fear my musical tastes range dramatically - does anyone else listen to an eclectic mix of music?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:32 am
Sorry foxie, i dont know Ani difranco confused but i use to hear 80's songs a lot and 90's too.
Tori Amos is the best!!! 3nodding  

Satsu - kun 13

freaxy
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:26 am
my music can sometimes extend from stuff like Bon Jovi, all the way out to Sharpnel, which is japanese hardcore gabber  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:41 am
I heart Tori Amos! whee heart
And I listen to a lot of Japanese rock and Spanish worship music. Odd mix, neh?

Lunatic Kisses

Julien_Isfange

7,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:01 pm
I'm a dork, I like video game music whee

but I also love classical, jazz, metal, techno, 80s, classic rock, and other sounds that perk my fancy 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 pm
Uhm... I should reallky get a decent sampling so that I can show the range of things I like to hear. I am a trance artist, I like techno and industrial, goth, rock, 80's rock/rap, classical, Japanese folk and rock and anime soundtracks, video game soundtracks, meditation, spiritual, jazz, old country (Johnny Cash etc.), and I have recently fallen for traditional Egyptian music. Woo hoo razz  

Exor Omega

Lil-Jo
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:54 pm
fr34x0r
my music can sometimes extend from stuff like Bon Jovi, all the way out to Sharpnel, which is japanese hardcore gabber

Sounds like Chipmunks on speed...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:22 pm
Lil-Jo
fr34x0r

omfg! *dies laughing*  

Tarotess
Crew

7,450 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:54 pm
I'm strange, a 27 year old who likes 50's, 60's and 70's music. Also a few songs that are even earlier thanks to my XM radio. I listen to showtunes and the old time radio like the comedy of Bob Hope, Fibber McGee & Molly, George Burns & Gracie Allen.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:31 pm
I love dance music, especially Detroit Techno.

And then again I love classical too.

And 70's stuff.

Went to see Deep Purple live a few weeks ago and that was AWESOME! I knew there was some advantage to having a boyfriend who works ridiculous hours as Security! xd

Faery Nuff

Site Moderator

Magic Manifestation

36,900 Points
  • The Ring: Vol2 Master Collector 250
  • March 2020 Collector 250
  • Wing Mastery 100

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:51 pm
How about video game music? Or TV show/movie OSTs?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:56 pm
Ani pulled one of those "oh hey look I'm not a lesbian anymore" deals. Almost like she was banking on being a lesbian to catch a certain niche in the music industry that had a severe lack of catering to. But low and behold, she's married to a man now. Eh...

Despite the drama attached I do have to agree that her songwriting is second to none for the genre it falls into.  

irrelavant

Fashionable Sex Symbol

immabee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:24 pm
i dig ani difranco a bit. 3nodding

my dad deals records as a hobby and really, really loves music of all kinds, so i grew up with a lot of exposure to widely different stuff. my favorite kinds of music (some interchangeable):

classic and (some) modern punk (iggy and the stooges, the buzzcocks, dead kennedys, dead milkmen, gg allin, the dwarves)
alt-country (the handsome family, jim white, 16 horsepower)
classic country (johnny cash, hank williams)
80s new wave/punk (the talking heads, devo)
70s rock/alternative (the velvet underground, queen, dylan, led zepplin)
80s rock/alternative (the cure, depeche mode, joy division)
90s rock/alternative (the pixies, sonic youth, dinosaur jr.)
grunge (soundgarden, the meat puppets, screaming trees)
rap (public enemy, mos def, n.w.a., wu tang clan)
stuff that i don't know what genre it belongs to (tom waits, nick cave and the bad seeds, the black keys)

there's lots more but i'm tired of typing right now. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:42 pm
Lil-Jo
fr34x0r

leave my drug induced chipmunks out of this! xd  

freaxy
Crew

Invisible Nightengale

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:59 pm
Nei1
I'm strange, a 27 year old who likes 50's, 60's and 70's music. Also a few songs that are even earlier thanks to my XM radio. I listen to showtunes and the old time radio like the comedy of Bob Hope, Fibber McGee & Molly, George Burns & Gracie Allen.

Oh. My. GOD! I listen to showtunes, too! I'm a 23 year-old who watches Broadway musicals, listens to oldies, celtic, classical, and country music!  
Music Room

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff