A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Serious Conversations
Parents with LDA kids or People with LDA's themselves Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you LDA or do You have a Kid with LDA?
I am LDA
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
I have a Child with LDA
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
I Know someone with LDA
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
I don't qaulify for any of the above but would like to Learn
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
I don't bealive LDA exist *me = sad*
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Mrs_Black_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:09 am
Out of pure curiosity and my need to help people I am making this thread.

I was wondering how many of you in this guild are Learning Disabled (LDA)
Have a child that is LDA or know someone that has a child with an LDA. I am sure you are all curious as to why I would create such a topic. Well here is why, my mother is a special education advocate that just recently got a website up and running that list and explain all the laws that schools and places of work have to follow if they employ, have a student with and LDA. My mother decided to due this because she wanted to inform the parents what the laws were and how to help their children if they could not afford thier own Special Education advocate. She has already gotten one coment from a women who said she wished my moms site had been around when her kids were in school.

How did my mother get started on this path?

She got started with my brother and I, we are both LDA he has/had ADD and epilepsy. While I have epilepsy, ADD, used to be dyslexic, Auditory processing disorder, math disorder, and tracking isues when it comes to reading, because of all this my brother and I had alot of trouble learning in school.

My goal here is to discuss and help those with a LDA or those who know of someone, or have children with a LDA or more.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:10 am
Helpful Links

My mothers site.
Dr. Amen's Website.  

Mrs_Black_Bear

Mrs_Black_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:11 am
Essential Oils Healing Properties and LDA

This section to be added when I get my essential oils desk referance, along with adding a link to the link section of where you can buy the oils  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:12 am
Reserved  

Mrs_Black_Bear

Mrs_Black_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:48 pm
Reserved.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:49 pm
Open for discussion come on in.  

Mrs_Black_Bear

MotherMoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:18 pm
My sister was born with a type of nerve disorder in which her hearing ability and seeing ability deterates. She was also burned with coffee when she was three which caused scar tissue to form inside her ear. She was put in the Special Education department of our school (this was in the late 60's thru 70's) She didn't learn much because at that time, special education isn't what it is now.

My son was born with his cord wrapped around his neck and under his arm, cutting off his oxygen. He was put in the special education program after the third grade. He doesn't have ADD or ADHD. I took him to a neuraligist after they tested him to see if he could find out what the problem with him is. He told me that the incident of his birth had "probably" slightly damaged one side of his brain. When it comes to reading, my son has a very hard time of it. However, when it comes to math, the kid is a whiz. The neuraligist explained to me that reading ability comes from one side of your brain, while math and problem solving comes from the other side.

My son left school at 18 years of age having completed only the 9th grade. He liked only 6 weeks finishing the 10th. He is now considering joining Job Corps in Kentucky. They will help him get his GED and train him for a trade. I think it will be good for him. However, I can't help but worrying about him.

Just thought I would share stressed  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:07 pm
I don't know if Aspergers counts as an LDA or not, but I do know that my cousin will never get above a certain mental age and went through special ed in school. He's quite bright, but will never fully understand certain things. My dad does have a learning disability though, can't remember which one it is but he does have one.  

Demona_Darchanjel

10,600 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Taxi Mama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:57 pm
Asperger Syndrome runs in my family; it is a "non-verbal learning disorder". When I got my daughter diagnosed, we realized my mom and husband had it. Then we found out my youngest cousin had it, even worse; first labelled deaf, then retarded, and finally High Functioning Autistic.

I think that since my mom is an Aspie (as they call themselves) her brother and I are naturally comfortable with the symptoms, and we went out and got married to Aspies, because we aren't weirded out by them. Then our kids have a double dose, genetically. My mom was thoroughly trained to "act" normal by her mother, but cut loose once she was out on her own. My kids and cousin all got diagnosed once they started public school. I've spent 10 years being my daughter's advocate with the public school, and it'll be another 5 before my son is graduated. My cousin's mom is now a Special Ed teacher, because of being his advocate.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:04 am
Fate is an elegant, cold-hearted whore
She loves salting my wounds

I don't have one. But my sister is ADD. Possibly ADHD. She was never diagnosed, but from what I know about it, it sounds like her.

She had a really tough time in school. Mostly because my parents weren't around to help her with her homework and meet with the teachers. I did what I could being only three years older. I helped her with her homework and such but couldn't meet with the teachers or anything.

My boyfriend's mom is actually a special ed teacher. I love going to her house and hear about all the kids.

I, myself, while in school, helped during lunch in the special ed dept. with their "recess". They stayed in the room. But played games and sang songs. It was a lot of fun.

I bleed confidence from deep within my guts now
I'm the king of this pity party with my jewel encrusted crown
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[[Currently listening to: -- ]]

elwine

Mrs_Black_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:32 am
Thanks for sharing your stories guys.

Yes Asperger Syndrome is considered and LDA of the non visible kind, as is epilepsy.

My mother works with plenty of these kids, she most recently tried to help one of her clients who has three autistic kids that range in severity, to get Extreme Makeover House Edition to come out and help her clinent since the mother is on welfare because she has to stay home with the kids all day and is divorced, their house is just not safe. I am alwasy hearing and asking about my mothers clients, some of which became friends while I was in school.

I still think there is alot of room for improvement in the education deparment for kids that are on IEP's and have Learning Disablities, we need teachers that are more pacient and WILLING to work with the kids that learn diffrently than the NORMAL kids. I always hated how when I would make an apointment for meeting with a teacher after class the teacher would not show up or would brush me off because they were busy doing other stuff that was aperantly more important grrr, thankfully it gets better in collage to an extent. Well at least in my experiance it did but I have gone to small collages with awsome and willing proffesors who would stay after class or even have in class disscussions if they noticed the majority of thier class failed a quiz, These are the type of people we need in our k-12 grade classes.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:56 pm
My daughter has ADHD. She takes Concerta to help with school and school work. Even with the medication she has days when she can't focus enough to read her assigned 20 minutes of sustained reading. Her father and stepmother do not believe there is any such thing as ADHD and that we should just slap her and tell her to sit down. They refuse to give her her medication, which really decreases her chance of success in any academic pursuit that day.  

virtuelessone

Wicked Bloodsucker

Mrs_Black_Bear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 am
virtuelessone
My daughter has ADHD. She takes Concerta to help with school and school work. Even with the medication she has days when she can't focus enough to read her assigned 20 minutes of sustained reading. Her father and stepmother do not believe there is any such thing as ADHD and that we should just slap her and tell her to sit down. They refuse to give her her medication, which really decreases her chance of success in any academic pursuit that day.
oh dear your poor daughter, I hate people who refuse to bealive it exist! However I do agree that it is being over diagnosed since they are diagnosing children in K now, which for the truely adhd kids is a benefit, but how can you tell adhd from normal at that age? I don't think you can because every child at that age has a short attention span and a hard time with concentration.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:02 pm
I have noticed that some teachers do want to jump on the ADHD bandwagon when a child is just a little hyper. My theory is to take candy and chocolate away first. Make sure the kids are eating properly and sleeping at least 9 hours a day before trying to dose them with pills!!  

MotherMoo

Mrs_Black_Bear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:18 am
MotherMoo
I have noticed that some teachers do want to jump on the ADHD bandwagon when a child is just a little hyper. My theory is to take candy and chocolate away first. Make sure the kids are eating properly and sleeping at least 9 hours a day before trying to dose them with pills!!
Yea, and take into acount the age group they are teaching, corse it could also be a diffrent LDA too there are a couple more that show hyperness as a sign..  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff