Reply Advice Forum
Dream Interpretation?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

charamath

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:49 pm
OK, I had some REALLY weird dreams last night, so I thought I'd describe them and see if anyone wants to take a whack at explaining what they mean. (I think they mean I shouldn't watch 'The Mist' before falling asleep)

And by all means, if you had a weird dream, put it here!

dream #1

Some dude comes over and starts measuring the property and while he's doing so a huge bald eagle comes coasting in and lands in the pond in my front yard. In this pond there's an African Hornbill (big, ugly bird with a massive beak). The eagle proceeds to do a strangle hold on the Hornbill's neck and kills him. He then proceeds to drag it over into the horse pasture (too big to fly with) and eat it. I then see my dog running out to the pasture like he always does and figure he'll leave a giant bird alone. I proceed to feed the other dogs and go outside to call Dozer (the dog I mentioned before) in, only to see he acutally killed the bald eagle and it's now laying in a disheveled heap infront of my garage. Dozer, amazingly, is unharmed.

dream #2

I go into Best Buy looking for the movie 'Lord of War'. Somehow Best Buy has stopped carrying almost every movie, and all the bins are full of mostly books and cds, with some VHS and a random scattering of mostly Christmas DVDS. I can't find the movie anywhere. I talk to two girl customers about the GooGoo Dolls (a band I've never listened too) and some custodian about the game Spore (which I've never played) and then proceed to take a shower?! in the back of the store. While I'm in this shower some kind of rhino-sized zombie monster gets loose in the store and a pool appears in the floor?! I watch the thing go chasing after the cahsiers. No idea, but that's about when I woke up.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:22 pm
wow either you have been watching some scary movies or playing some intense video games or your sub conscious is realllly bored. 4laugh  

Chimaria

charamath

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:38 pm
Alas, no video games in quite a while. I did watch 'The Mist', though, but you'd figure I'd be dreaming of giant insects then, not bald eagles and zombie-rhino dogs. I'm just nuts I guess xp  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:42 am

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

This is a site that gives you and idea of what your dreams mean if anything. Don’t know if it helps because normal dream mean your trying to sort something out. I mean I could turn around and say the following:

The Bird mean freedom form something , killing the other thing is something you need to sort out before getting out of a situation the dog then killing the bird means that there is something else you need to sort out or figure out before you can fly away” as it where, the bloke measuring the property could mean the same as the bald eagle.

But then the website will tell you something else and others will say it’s the film playing on your mind.

Zealand_Aquarius

Barton Sweetheart

HelloKitty72

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 am
What the heck did you eat before you went to bed?
Most times if you have eaten alot of junk before going to sleep you will have funky dreams. So, watch what you eat!  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:00 pm
charamath

dream #1

Some dude comes over and starts measuring the property and while he's doing so a huge bald eagle comes coasting in and lands in the pond in my front yard. In this pond there's an African Hornbill (big, ugly bird with a massive beak). The eagle proceeds to do a strangle hold on the Hornbill's neck and kills him. He then proceeds to drag it over into the horse pasture (too big to fly with) and eat it. I then see my dog running out to the pasture like he always does and figure he'll leave a giant bird alone. I proceed to feed the other dogs and go outside to call Dozer (the dog I mentioned before) in, only to see he acutally killed the bald eagle and it's now laying in a disheveled heap infront of my garage. Dozer, amazingly, is unharmed.

dream #2

I go into Best Buy looking for the movie 'Lord of War'. Somehow Best Buy has stopped carrying almost every movie, and all the bins are full of mostly books and cds, with some VHS and a random scattering of mostly Christmas DVDS. I can't find the movie anywhere. I talk to two girl customers about the GooGoo Dolls (a band I've never listened too) and some custodian about the game Spore (which I've never played) and then proceed to take a shower?! in the back of the store. While I'm in this shower some kind of rhino-sized zombie monster gets loose in the store and a pool appears in the floor?! I watch the thing go chasing after the cahsiers. No idea, but that's about when I woke up.

Dream interpretation used to be a hobby of mine. The main problem with interpretation is that dreams are short of like a personal shorthand of your own mind and are very individualistic. So I'll give some options and maybe they'll be right or point you in a good direction.

First, all the events and people in your dream represent different aspects of yourself. You are everyone and everything in that dream.

That being said:

Dream #1
The dude measuring your property- you are looking at something and trying to "take its measure"

The eagle might mean: Freedom- our country's mascot is an eagle, agression- our country is at war, sudden shifts in emotion- your emotions are flighty, or an outside source that swoops in

The hornbill- you said it was ugly so it could be: an aspect of yourself that you do not like, something inside you that you feel is inferior, or something about you that you feel sorry for

The eagle kills the horn bill by strangling it: You are strangling a part of yourself that concerns the interpretations about the horn bill.

The eagle drags it off and starts eating it: The part of you that is the eagle canibalizes the part of you that is the horn bill

Your dog: (depending on how you feel about your dog) loyalty, friendship, protection, agression

The dog kills the eagle- I am really tempted to say that your loyal, protective dog kills the agressive, harmful eagle and brings you its body so you can reintergrate that part of you the eagle devoured back into yourself

Your dog is unharmed- Your loyal protective nature is stronger than the nature of the agressive eagle part of you and can easily protect your inner, not so loved self.

Things can also be representative of the feelings you feel about people. The eagle could be someone who flies in, destroys something about you, and your loyal dog is a friend who will try to restore you to yourself.

The second dream is much harder since I'd have to know how you feel about "Lord of War", Best Buy, The Googoo Dolls, Spore and the other specifics of your dream. The zombie is pretty standard; it's your shadow (and the poor, dear thing is rotting away) crying . The pool is a bit more difficult depending on how you saw the pool. Was it dark, was it clear, were you afraid of it?

If I put the horn bill and the zombie together, I have a rather disturbing picture that your shadow is suffering and that other forces in your mind are trying to destroy it. You might want to consider embracing that not so loved and often feared shadow and seeing if you can listen to your more primal, darker self.  

TamlinSan

charamath

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:42 pm
Wow! That was very neat. I really like raptors (birds of prey) and find them gorgeouse, and my dog is literally my best friend. IDK if that helps or changes anything.

As for the other dream- that's why it was so wierd. I don't really think anything of any of those things. I've never seen that movie, I rarely shop at Best Buy unless I'm looking for an older movie, Spore is a game I would like to play, and the GooGooDolls was just totally random. Absoloutly no idea where they came from. The pool water was clear. It kinda intensified the creepiness of the zombie thing, but I wasn't afraid of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:45 pm
charamath

dream #2

Okay, I'll give this a try, but it might be wildly off because I have a feeling this is really, really your subconcious mind's message and only you can interpret it correctly.

You are looking for a more agressive part of you (the "Lord of War") and you can't find it within yourself.

All you find is past sweet past memories (books, Christmas DVDs) and you can't find that fierce side of yourself.

The two girl customers are parts of you that you dislike. They may be the vaine shallow side of yourself that is attracted to things like babies (goo goo) toys (dolls) or likes to be hip and trendy (The Googoo Dolls).

You ask the part of you that oversees (the custodian) your concious (or maybe unconcious mind) if he has the seed of the thing you want (spore).

Water seems to be a big thing in this dream. Water has various meanings depending on how you interact with it in dreams.

Showering- cleaning yourself, ritual bath of purification, emersing yourself as change falls around you

The pool is your unconcious mind and desires.

While you are in the midst of showering, your shadow (who is sick and rotting because you keep trying to kill it) comes and starts causing havock by chasing after the cashiers (the people who make you pay for what you aquire.)

The poor thing. I'm not kidding. Your shadow seems to be screaming in pain. It's trying hard to do something but you seem to want it dead (the horn bill, the zombie- I'm really leaning towards that interpretation of the horn bill. The zombie definitly is your shadow.) Try to accept your shadow. If you can, read something by Jung about the shadow side of your personality. It really wants your attention and I think it used the movie you watched to try to call attention to its distress.  

TamlinSan

charamath

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:09 pm
I've been having some seriouse trouble giving up on the ex-boyfriend. He and I were very close, and he's also having troubles moving on. Do you think that could be the hornbill? It would kinda make sense because I was thinking about asking him (the ex) if my computer would run Spore or not that night, so he could be the custodian. Which also would make sense because he's pretty much the only person I go to about my life problems.

I'm not so sure about the googoogirls yet. The girls in the dream were ditzy and wearing popular clothes, but those are two things I am not and do not desire one bit. hmm.... my brother just had a baby that I kind of envy of him- could that be it?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:54 am
charamath
I've been having some seriouse trouble giving up on the ex-boyfriend. He and I were very close, and he's also having troubles moving on. Do you think that could be the hornbill? It would kinda make sense because I was thinking about asking him (the ex) if my computer would run Spore or not that night, so he could be the custodian. Which also would make sense because he's pretty much the only person I go to about my life problems.

I'm not so sure about the googoogirls yet. The girls in the dream were ditzy and wearing popular clothes, but those are two things I am not and do not desire one bit. hmm.... my brother just had a baby that I kind of envy of him- could that be it?

I think you need to focus on the shadow. Shadows like to appear in times of stress. They are your primal, dark side that is both the most protective part of you and the most aggresive part of you. The problem seems to be that you have submerged that shadow (pond) and it has been under attack (eagle, it appearing dead).

You described the horn bill as an ugly bird in a pond (water is your unconcious mind) that is being strangled. You described the "monster" in your dream as a very large zombie that is chasing people around a pool. It is an ugly creature, that has died. You were searching for the "Lord of War" and you found him, your shadow. (This is all rather Jungian, and while Jung is a part of dream interpretation, it is also rather difficult to get across well) But your shadow is not well. It is still trying its very best to protect you (chasing the sales clerks that want you to pay) but it's hurt.

Your dog and the custodian also may match. The dog is "the watch dog", loyal, loving, and fierce, who acts to deal with the attack of the eagle, which you find beautiful, but is destroying a part of yourself (perhaps your inner intuition?). The custodian appears when you want the spore (the thing that will grow) and immediately you are bathed (or showered), and the zombie (the Lord of War) appears to do battle, perhaps to help you grow.

No, I don't think your ex is the hornbill. I think the parallels in the dreams are too close. It is almost as if your shadow is desperatly trying to contact you and when you didn't understand the first dream, it got a bit more direct. The custodian is also definitly you (I can't remember if it's the ego or the super ego. Jung was a student of Freud.). After reading your post about your boyfriend (I went and looked) I would say your boyfriend (a beautiful thing that swooped in destroyed a part of you-trust, happiness, the ability to trust your inner self) is the eagle. Your loyal dog/custodian wants you to know that it can take care of the situation if you will let it by freeing your shadow (which you are looking for) and protecting it. It will bring your shadow to you if you ask.

Focus on the shadow. It is often the scary part of yourself that you don't want to even acknowledge is there because it is the one that tells you things you do not want to hear. Shadows get out of control if you don't pay attention to them. They are not evil, but if ignored, they will cause mischief in your life until you stop, face them, accept, and tame them with acceptance.

Do you know the story of King Arthur? In a very real sense, that is the story of Arthur (the bright, socially acceptable part of a soul) trying to escape his shadow (Mordred) then finally turning and facing it. Once faced, Mordred and Arthur no longer exist, because in a way, they have transformed into a higher, more complete being (The once and future king who is at peace in the perfect country of Avalon- the perfected being who lays inside each of us when we are at peace with ourselves). The story ends because the two warring halves are united.

Don't be Arthur. You can't destroy your shadow. You can't win a war with it, since it is your strength. It will continue doing its function whether you okay it or not, which is to protect you, give you advice you don't always want to hear, and connect, contain, and with acceptance focus your anger, hostility, and negative emotions that the bright, forgiving, loving, positive side doesn't like to even acknowledge exist in your being. But they will always exist and denying them only leaves the shadow without direction. Like Mordred, it will serve, then at some point if left to its own devices, it will rebel and cause a mental war within you. Only by facing the shadow, accepting its power and primal urges, and embracing what it is trying to tell you, will you tame it.

Now physician heal thyself, right? smile  

TamlinSan

Vaidurya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:34 pm
TamlinSan, your perception of these dreams is highly plausible, and I applaud your skill in interpreting dreams. I, also, have been studying dreams and their meanings for quite some time now, so I'd like to take a crack at this from a different direction entirely.

charamath

You find a male measuring you and your qualities. You harbor fears that someone ruthless is exploiting you in your own turf. You feel encroached upon, as if this person is working to rip out the parts of you that you don't like, and the ferocity with which the person is moving is causing you to feel uncomfortable. You know that within yourself you have the ability and tools to remove this person from your life, however, you seem to want to turn a blind eye and hope that the situation will right itself without you having to resort to force. You enjoy your day-to-day life and fear the change that could come.

charamath

You feel you may have to make an important decision very soon in order to reach the fulfillment you need, but are unable to articulate, even to yourself either from fear or embarrassment. You may need to ask yourself if your aims can really be achieved, or if not, you might want to approach your aims differently to achieve success in a situation. Rather than acknowledge your needs or prioritize yourself, you are immersing yourself into the past instead of working on the present. You find comfort in the way things were or can be (feeding the dogs, cheerful holiday films), and are reluctant to move on. The girls represent the womanly mold we're all forced to believe is "right" and anything else is "unacceptable." Your conversation with them about things you don't understand may reflect an inner-desire to embrace this exceptionally feminine side of you, and reject the less-attractive parts in the process. The custodian may represent your desire to cleanse yourself of less-desirable bits of yourself, and the "Spore" game may refer to your not-so-feminine side OR to Spores themselves (the manner through which fungi and other, similarly offensive micro-organisms breed). Your next step to shower is probably an attempt to once again mentally remove something from yourself, and you do so in as private a manner as you can contrive within the circumstances. Your subconscious, in response to your vicious attempts to yet again slay something within yourself, makes manifest a rather large, festering being. Your only counter for the creation of such an abomination is to once more shift your own attention to something else, namely the nice, clean pool (maybe you're focusing on it in hopes that by looking at something clean and pure, you, yourself will become cleaner?) Meanwhile, the things that you keep shoving aside simply because you detest the thought of handling such "dirty laundry" as it were, begin to wreak havoc on the things around you.

In short, there's something that's really bothering you and that you keep forcing aside. Until you come to terms with this part of yourself, and give up the fight that "I have to be THIS!" and instead accept what you ARE, you're going to continue to have problems until your friends and family, and even strangers, find you rather unpleasant to be around.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:07 pm
*sigh* the only person who truely liked being around me won't even acknowledge I exsist anymore. So I guess I can't do much for that department!

What does it mean when your dreams are uncannily real? Like so real you can smell and fell things? That's pretty much all my dreams of late. Intensesly real dreams about the above mentioned person...over and over again (I hate sleeping now).  

charamath

The Last Chase

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:45 pm
I know there are massive posts on this, but there are just a few things I want to say on this.
I absolutely love dreams, they are crazy and almost all my stories have formed from dreams I've had. They are amazing.
But dreams are also formulated from things in our day to day lives, it is actually a known fact. I'm not saying the don't have meaning, because I've had many that have turned into premonitions. But they are still peices of a puzzle. They are those silly peices that you know go in the puzzle somewhere, but for the time being you sit there staring at them and try to figure out where. Your mind throws them into the jumble that ends up being your dreams.
Just a little bit of fact I suppose.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:13 am
I'm a person who sees a lot of dreams and remembers almost every one of them - to the detail. Good trait, but my spouse doesn't like it so much. Me rambling still half asleep about way-too-detailed dream that has full scale storyline is a bit annoying. Or tad annoying.

So I keep dream diary, when I remember. Or tell dreams at irc channel where most of my friends are too. Its a common hobby there, several people tell their dreams when they see something that can be put to words semi-properly. I once tried few days to put every morning my dream(s) on paper. It started to took almost two hours per morning so I had to give up, there was just too much to write. >_<

But I have my book with drawings and all the details and I'm happy that those stay there safe. I've read my friends notes, her grandfathers diary; weather, relatives, happenings AND his dreams from after decades. mrgreen  

Veddhartha

Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff