Reply Advice Forum
Backpacking in a foreign country

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

elwine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:18 pm
I've been thinking about doing this for awhile. But I'm starting to plan it.

I'm not completely sure where exactly I'm going to go.

But I would like to know if any other Geezers have done anything like this? And any advice or tips in planning or what to look out for.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:18 pm
I backpacked through England right after college. It was a nifty experience.

It IS a bit dangerous (I got mugged and had various other misadventures.) But ultimately surviveable if you take some basic precautions.

I used to reccommend travellers' checks, but now I'd just go with Euros. You might want to take a little cash in travellers' check form, just in case, but its damned hard to redeem these days.

If you're backpacking in Europe, get a train pass. It's worth the money.

In England, just about every town you visit has a tourism bureau with a list of hostels, bed and breakfasts and campsites that you will find unmentionably useful, especially if you have to alter your itinerary at all.

If you're from outside the US and you plan to backpack here, get a list of KOAs - they make wonderful stopping grounds. If you decide not to stay at a KOA, make sure you haven't picked a gangland spot or hobo jungle (yes, we still have hobo jungles, although they're mostly just regular homeless guys.)

Er... make sure you set regular dates when your family and friends will be expecting calls from you and keep those dates!

Otherwise, the real joy of backpacking, for me, was the fact that you weren't tied down to a schedule at all!

Oh, yes, I should mention that this was in 1993... what, 15 years ago?
If anyone FROM England or Europe would like to ammend my advice, please do so.

Also, all bets are off outside the US or Europe.  

Harbone
Crew

TheHellDevil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:05 am
Uhh....

put your dirty underwear in the outer pockets of your backpack. It makes for a nice smelly surprise for anyone who wants to rip your bag open and steal your stuff. mrgreen

But depending on what country you go, wear your backpack in front instead of on your back.

One paranoid uncle told my cousin to wear one of those pockets around his neck, put his passport and other important documents and leave it on even when he's sleeping.

Know what vacinations you need and get them.

Stuff your sleeping bag into the uhh.... sleeping bag's bag. Don't roll it up. Rolling it up creates cold spots in the long run.

Know the climate. And even then, bring at least one jacket with the assumption that the temperature is approx 10-15C lower than what the lowest temperature average is for the season you're going. This is because of wind chill, humidity, any other quirky situations that may pop up.

Mind you, I've personally never gone backpacking but I've travelled a bit, camped a bit and sailed a bit.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:07 pm
*stupid reply*

just don't watch "Hostel" before you go. it'll be like watching "Airport".

*better reply*
Go for it! Life is too short. Get some books, read up. Talk to people who've been there & done that, accept advice. & go to friendly countries!

HAVE FUN!  

Chimaria

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:27 pm
From a healthcare perspective...

Once you determine where you want to go.. be sure to talk with your primary care physician to see if you need any particular immunizations prior to entering the country of origin...

Years and years ago when I toured Switzerland, we had to get a couple of vaccines, but nothing that I was scared of... pretty much they were boosters of things I had already been inocculated for...  
Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games