A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Hurricane Ike Evacuee BACK HOME!!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Were you affected by Hurricane Ike, regardless of location?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 14 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 14 ]
What is a hurricane?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 28

jsh97p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:47 pm
So I had to evacuate for Ike...and now I'm back with electricity, food, water and a safe place for my wife and toddler daughter.

Did any other Gaians have to evacuate? I know there are a number of us down here along the Gulf Coast, and a bunch here in the Greater Houston area...hopefully any from Galveston and surrounding areas got out safe and sound.

On a related note...I joined this guild a few days before I had to leave, and now that I'm back, I wanted to get back into the forums. Then I remembered why I had strayed away from them...I would be assaulted by a horde of sarcastic and spoiled 16 year olds saying rude stuff I wouldn't have imagined saying. Granted, I can be a b*****d (ask my wife), but...I'm glad there are other "old" people...i.e. those I thought Gaia originally was marketed for...  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:57 pm
Glad to hear you and your family are safe.

My butt is up in Kansas where I THOUGHT no hurricanes can reach, but apparently one of the more recent hurricanes had it's edge touch us. I think it may have been Ike.  

Dragon student

Dangerous Survivor

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150

Teknyx

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:05 pm
i saw alot evacuees in my area of texas (austin) it was crazy people bombarding the gas stations it was nuts...but its good that you and your family are safe =] take care

on another note... Dragon Student what pet is that behind you?? looks like a wolf or something o.O  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:32 pm
I'm glad you are safe! I live in S Florida and we were just grazed by Ike. They originally predicted it would hit here, but it dipped further south  

THE wascally wabbit

Romantic Rogue

12,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:48 pm
I'm 200 miles northwest of Houston. All Ike did here was bring us some rain and wind. We never lost power where I live though. It tracked more east and we missed most of it, thankfully.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:41 pm
We went to San Antonio for the storm. Got back Tuesday at 2am and I have been working everyday at a P.O.D. since. It's amazing how f'ed up things are.  

Tora Shu

Hunter

Topaz Citrine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:05 pm
I personally wasn't effected however my family was and all turned out fine....they booked out of town and took a week for them to get back into the city....to their homes.

I live in Virgina, and have been hit by Isobel of 03' wind gus to 80 miles an hour and took very tall trees down around our house...in all twenty-five and not one hit the house. Two weeks without electric for the area...we did okay we had a generator, that my husband had lucked out on buying it the day after the storm.

We do get tornadoes around in the spring ...it's not Kansas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:08 pm
We evacuated to San Antonio, but came back a bit too early and had a couple of days without power. Luckily we had only minor damage to our house and the weather was cooler than usual so we had a great time BBQing each meal!

Our are was one of the first restored, so we've had lots of people coming over to get gas and food which meant there were police directing traffic at the gas stations to keep order. Things are calming down now and schools are meant to be back tomorrow.

Having talked to some folks nearer impact and from Galveston I feel very lucky indeed!  

Catira Norr

Dragon student

Dangerous Survivor

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:08 pm
Topaz Citrine
You say this because of Greensburg and Chapman don't you? xd Yeah, Dorothy has nothing on these two cities.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:58 pm
I didn't evacuate. My home is in CenLA (central louisiana). I just toughed it out at my college campus instead of meeting the family at our ancestral hurricane shelter (aka grandma's house). Just an hour of distance apart and they had chest deep water while everything here was normal.  

Shawna Crystal

SilntAngl5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:07 pm
Dragon student
Topaz Citrine
You say this because of Greensburg and Chapman don't you? xd Yeah, Dorothy has nothing on these two cities.

Yea but at least with hurricanes we have an advanced warning. Tornadoes terrify me. stare  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:57 am
We came back to our apartment, which was just as we had left it...a wreck as we tried to brace for hell on Earth. We had lost power for a week, but it was back up last Thursday. We know how fortunate we are...we live in the Memorial area, and all those nice pretty homes are still pitch black at night. At first, part of me wanted to laugh that in this case, money didn't matter about getting power restored. Then I thought about a few people I know in dire situations, having family members who require electricity to stay alive (whether it be for a dialysis machine, oxygen, whatever)...made me hurt for those people still hurting. Then I checked the news online this morning at work (feels good to be back at work) and saw some of the devastation in Haiti and other places ravaged by multiple hurricanes AGAIN this year...I know even more about how blessed we've been here in Houston (seems weird, I know).

Yeah, things are sorta creepy and surreal as you drive around town. It was odd driving in total darkness the day after the storm, through parts of town I am so familiar with and used to seeing all lit up. Then seeing a coyote walking around on 290 near Hollister just threw me for a loop. There are the animals who were just as freaked out and confused as us two-legged ones. All those times I've watched the wrath of storms on tv in places like South Florida, or 3 years ago when Katrina hit...it's more than you can wrap your mind around, and even more so when it's your home that gets hit.

I know some people who lost everything. Everything but their loved ones and what was on their backs when they left. Being able to look out at all the destruction, but being able to turn and look at my wife and daughter...I'm thankful and thankful there are people like Tora Shu (namedrop) who are helping others!  

jsh97p

Kuraino Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:46 am
I got back from my Ike hurrication last Wednesday.

I live in Clear Lake, which is more-or-less part of Houston--the part that happens to be closest to Galveston, actually.

Everything was fine in my little apartment. The apartment complex had lost power for about 48 hours apparently and I saw that my milk had spoiled. Well, to be more precise, it had almost turned into cheese--the curds and whey had actually separated in the bottle. So I had to throw out everything in my fridge and get some new groceries, but considering that I live alone, it wasn't much.

My grandparent's house had their carport ripped off of it; it had fallen on my mother's car which is somehow still drivable. Everything else was fine though.

I think our pets suffered the worst; my cat, which is still living with my grandparents, screamed during our evacuation and had to be boarded up. So did my dog and bird, for that matter, but they seemed to handle it a little bit better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:11 pm
Dragon student
Glad to hear you and your family are safe.

My butt is up in Kansas where I THOUGHT no hurricanes can reach, but apparently one of the more recent hurricanes had it's edge touch us. I think it may have been Ike.
Hello neighbor I am in kansas, too are you refering to the rains we got?  

Mrs_Black_Bear

Taxi Mama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:54 pm
We lost power for 6 days, our side fence is gone, and our garage now has a hole where there was a window. Not bad, really.

We were prepared for a day or two without power, but when we lost phone service and water pressure, we evacuated to my mom's vacation house. We took 3 of my kids' friends, so we totaled 10, counting the dog (all in 2 cars). Our backyard neighbor called Thursday night to tell us our lights were back on, but we waited till Saturday afternoon to return, and were careful to gas up the cars before we hit outer Houston.

My husband had the kids throw out everything in the refrigerator (spoiled or not (nutcase)), and it took $400 to restock. I spent about 6 hours getting the pool cleaned out and looking nice. I am hoping the insurance will pay for a new garage window and fence, but neighbors are warning me they'll only cover damage caused by falling trees !??! Whatever. The dog is tired of being tied to the tree, but it beats walking him on Memorial Drive, with all the branches blocking the sidewalks.

Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff