Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ultra edge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:27 pm
wahmbulance wahmbulance

What would you do with a room mate ?

If he always had to be asked to clean up after himself and he breaks stuff in your home, and uses your condiments/spices when your not looking. stressed stressed stressed scream scream scream
talk2hand rolleyes rolleyes mad mad  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:38 pm
Guess the only thing ya can do is sit him down and have a talk with him. Make him pay for/ replace broken items, and buy his own groceries. Maybe you can give him some little hints at first, like write your name on the ketchup? haha I don't know, I've never had a roomy. Good luck!  

mixette

pd2care

17,800 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:25 pm
'Tis some of the reasons I don't have roomies other than my children, and won't, ever. I've had 3, and they've all left me high and dry in one way or another. Common courtesy is all we ask, right?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:47 pm
If you find a way, LMK. I have a couple of old roomates who did everything under the sun in the book of 'bad roomate ettiquite', and I want to kill them still.  

charamath

Kyreie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:46 am
My last roomate was the same. He'd use my condiments and spices and other food, never did any housework, etc, etc. I kept track of the costs for food and labour and at the end of the month I presented him with a bill. He had a choice, pay this bill and get another one every month, start chipping in a few dollars for ketchup, salt and the like and start picking up after himself and share some of the common chores, or, he could find another place to live. It helped that I was having an extremely bad day and he could see that I was absolutely furious when I gave him the bill. After that he gave me a few extra dollars every month with the rent and started cleaning. I think I scared him! twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:38 pm
Kyreie
My last roomate was the same. He'd use my condiments and spices and other food, never did any housework, etc, etc. I kept track of the costs for food and labour and at the end of the month I presented him with a bill. He had a choice, pay this bill and get another one every month, start chipping in a few dollars for ketchup, salt and the like and start picking up after himself and share some of the common chores, or, he could find another place to live. It helped that I was having an extremely bad day and he could see that I was absolutely furious when I gave him the bill. After that he gave me a few extra dollars every month with the rent and started cleaning. I think I scared him! twisted

Classic. I love it. Fear is a great motivator!

pd2care

17,800 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200

charamath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:26 pm
Anybody else have a problem with theirs buying pot instead of paying the rent? I wanted to call the cops on 'em I was so fed up, but Jeff wouldn't let me.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:09 am
pd2care
Kyreie

Classic. I love it. Fear is a great motivator!

Isn't it though? I always try common courtesy and respect first, but if a person won't respond to that, what's left?  

Kyreie

queen of qeeks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 am
Oh God. I had the worst roommate alive a few years back. In the end, I made her sign a paper document with all the rules and chores we both agree on, and whenever she didn't come through, I'd take it out and guilt trip her until she finally did it. That never last long though. Roommates are almost always craptastic, though a few years from now you'll look back at this experience and wonder how the heck you got through it without ending up in jail.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:56 am
charamath
Anybody else have a problem with theirs buying pot instead of paying the rent? I wanted to call the cops on 'em I was so fed up, but Jeff wouldn't let me.

I'd call the cops. mainly because if the cops show up at your door and your living with the pot in the apartment and you KNOW it's there then you could end up in trouble not just your roommate.  

Lita Kuragari

mixette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:27 am
charamath

I would've kicked him/her out. I don't need that around me.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:46 am
Kyreie

This sounds like a good way to do it. I've always had pretty good roommates. 3nodding I know that a lot of people end up hating each other, though. My best friend is my old roommate, actually. Funny, huh? We loved living together. I'm not the best roomy in the world, but I am pretty respectful and the such. I live in my own apartment, now, but have a 17 year-old foreign exchange student living with me and my 4 1/2 year-old daughter. I try to respect the 17 year-old's privacy, but keep rules around for her to follow.

One thing with roommates is that right away you need to let them know, and show, how serious you are about the rules being followed. I think it DOES help, too, to look at the roomy situation as a FRIEND is living with you. That way, you WANT to respect each other as much as possible. I hope that makes sense. I always told my roomies that I expected them to be my friend, at least a little. It just works out better......well, for me, at least. lol I hope this helps someone....somewhere! heart  

Bleu_Fyre

350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:53 pm
Kyreie

Amen to that. Besides the billing thing, I wonder if you could put a lock on the fridge and keep it on for a few days. He'll definitely have a reaction to that. Or I guess you could start keeping majority of your belongings in your own room. I currently have a middle-aged roommate who watches TV all day (she doesn't work or study, as far as I can see). She complained when I stopped cleaning for a while, even though I was the one who did all the cleaning all along before that. It's kind of funny to think back on it, but... BLEHHH...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:21 pm
Because of the people in my house (one is my boyfriend, we own the house together), I went on strike. Stopped cleaning completly. Couldn't stand to be in my home during those two weeks, but I get a little help now. Although he did try to be mad at me because he didn't have any clean workshirts this morning. I just rolled over and went back to sleep. And there was a clean shirt, he was just too angry to look properly in the closet.  

JadeB82

5,050 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

ultra edge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:39 pm
Thank you all, I am selling my house and found out that he threw a temper tantrum, and destoryed some of my deceased fathers things including the basement light switch. I confronted him with it and as ussual his answer was "I didn't do it" , and I know it wasn't myself or my fience. I have a showing tomorrow and told him that as well, so he has a choise. Clean up the basement and fix the switch or get the **** out. A few hours later I went down stairs to find him sleeping and nothing done. So tomorrow after he leaves for work I am going to clean the basement my way, which is everything is garbage. If he's not going to care about my things then I shouldn't care about his. I like what one person said about not cleaning and I wish that i could but, selling a house is alot different. As for having a room mate especially one that is alcoholic and only young watch your step and your stuff, I found out through the years, having a friend as a roommate just dosen't work unless you both put into it. If you rent make sure that all your personnal things are locked up tight and that you do what you have to and keep a going record. I really don't think that I needed a room mate, but the extra cash is great to get ahead. Thank you all for your suggestions and good luck in all your endevours.  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff