Total Votes : 29

DivineMoonSenshi

Pure-hearted Rabbit

18,315 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:37 am
First off I was wondering if any of ye geezers XD are in college. I'm only 21 but I know nothing about politics really and I have to do a paper on a subject that is releated to the election for our presidents. ANyone know of a fairly easy topic I can research? Basically I'm looking for NON-student websites that have our running presidents talking about subjects that concern us Americans. The only topic I'm not touching is abortion. Other then that does anyone know a topic tha'ts been discussed by our electees?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:40 am
Definitely make use of their 'official' campaign websites. In recent years, candidates have put the majority of their issues platforms on their websites for anyone to browse.  

BlueberryJoy

High-functioning Cutesmasher

12,475 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pet Lover 100

DivineMoonSenshi

Pure-hearted Rabbit

18,315 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:45 am
Really? I'm such a noob when it comes to the whole election deal. I mean I vote but I always voted for who my family was going with. Do you know where I can find those websites?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:46 am
taxes, like social security taxes. what the media wants you to think, and what their plans actually are.  

kerryness

DivineMoonSenshi

Pure-hearted Rabbit

18,315 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:58 am
Oh that's a good one. Does anyone know if the presidents have touched the endangered species subject? Or plans to preserve our wildlife and forests?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:11 am
Barack Obama: (Click out of fundraising crapola, will take you to his main site)

http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

John McCain:

http://www.johnmccain.com/

Both websites are well-made and comprehensive. Just go under 'Issues' and there's where you'll find all the goodies. 3nodding  

BlueberryJoy

High-functioning Cutesmasher

12,475 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pet Lover 100

Bleu_Fyre

350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:52 am
I'm not a big fan of the voting system and the government ways. I'd explain why/why not, but it'll take too long. Sorry. sweatdrop

Anyway. I just wanted to say, too, that I don't like voting, because I don't like feeling like I HAVE to vote for someone that I don't think will make much difference, etc. I never really get to follow along with the debates and the such, anyway, so I don't feel that I am educated enough about the people/candidates to vote. There's more to it than that, but as I said, it'll take too long to explain.

heart  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:31 pm
Neither have touched too much on anything like the endangered species list. It's mostly global warming preaching.

If you use the official websites, be sure to fact-check. Many things will be blown out of proportion on those sites. Try to balance yourself out- check Fox news for right-wing and NYTimes for left wing or something like that.

A fun subject could be border control.

Oh, and make sure your professor isn't the kind to give you a bad grade for not following thier own personal preferences. I've had a few professors like that (even had a math teacher try his darndest to fail me after finding out I was a conservative).

BTW, I'm a 21 yr old college student smile Though not for this semester because I couldn't afford it.  

charamath

Mayumi_Yuy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:16 pm
Misrosebud
Oh that's a good one. Does anyone know if the presidents have touched the endangered species subject? Or plans to preserve our wildlife and forests?

Along the lines of wildlife/forrests you could look into ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge) and the candidates' positions on drilling for oil there.

How in-depth do you plan to get in the topic and how long is the paper supposed to be? That might make it easier to suggest a topic.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:54 pm
Can't do anything here. I'm Canadian. I've got a pretty neat website for you to read though:
http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/the_whoppers_of_2008.html  

shall she sail seas

DivineMoonSenshi

Pure-hearted Rabbit

18,315 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 pm
It's going to be a short thing a 250 word paragraph on each canadiates views on my "issue" as it's titled. And thank you everyone so much for all the sites they've been really helpful.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:38 am
Misrosebud
It's going to be a short thing a 250 word paragraph on each canadiates views on my "issue" as it's titled. And thank you everyone so much for all the sites they've been really helpful.

Ah, then I think any topic you've considered might work. Also, check out OnTheIssues.org.  

Mayumi_Yuy

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:08 pm
I hate politics, but I want to put my two cents in.

I used to work for a company that did fundraising for the Republican party. All I'm gonna say about that is that even if someone told me they had cancer and therefore were gonna take a break from donating every month, I had to keep pestering them for money. It was very depressing - not to mention disheartening.

I'm pretty fairly sure Democrats do the same thing.

So more than my issue with McCain or Obama is this - what exactly is it taking to get them up there as Prez? And secondly - how many honestly good people are they stepping on to get there?

Because I ended up talking to quite a few "grassroots" Republican local office holders who had nothing good to say about the NRC.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:21 am
Personally, I never cared before, but I've noticed Republicans tend to lean more towards anything connected with church - thus openly defying the constitution separating church and state. Also, I've been pissed off with Bush ever since he stated "Witchcraft is not a religion" when he was governor of Florida. Since then, most of his actions have been due to religion. McCain's leaning the same way, trying to take away the woman's choice to abort. Even though I'm against abortion, if it puts the woman's life in danger or is a child of rape or incest - shouldn't the woman decide whether or not she wants to keep the baby? It is her body after all. But that's a long drawn out debate for the ages, so I'll point out other facts. McCain is against stem cell research (which is also a religious platform since the church is against it) which could lead to many cures for disease and medical conditions. The Republicans have also been trying to outlaw gay & lesbian rights - specifically marriage - which pisses me off even more because I am a devoted yaoi fan and I have a few gay/lesbian friends whom would be effected by this. So this year I registered to vote and I plan on voting Democrat, but that's just me.
Another place to check out election issues is MySpace. They host videos for the debates and all kinds of stuff. I haven't checked any out because I'm already set on my vote, but I've heard they're pretty decent.
By the way, I'm 24 and couldn't afford to go to college - had a lousy civics teacher in high school which made me hate the subject, but this is the first time I'm really interested in the election. Of course, there is a lot of heated debates from the racial and religious angles, but we'll just have to wait and see.  

Azaveil

8,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items