11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
just bring the gold
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 35

MotherMoo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:32 am
ok this is what I was thinking (sitting here watching cooking shows while playing on the computer lol) In this world of busy, busy, busy... it helps to have shortcuts in cooking. Making a good meal for your family the fastest way possible but still make it edible. So I want to challenge everyone to come up with or share a favorite recipe that is simple but healthy and easy to cook.

I have one which I will share with you now.

"Easy as pie" chicken pot pie

Ingredients

4 frozen pie crust (the cheap ones are best for this recipe)
I like using 2 regular and 2 deep dish
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large can of mixed veggies
(2 small cans if you can't find a large one)
2 cans of soup
Cream of Chicken is good (2 if you choose)
Cream of Mushroom *optional
Cream of Celery *optional
You will need 2 cans of soup, at least 1 can of Cream of Chicken and the second can your choice.

Now for the easy part. Boil your chicken til done. Break it apart and mix all except the pie crust together in a big bowl. I like to use the broth from the chicken breast for moisture to mix with the soups.
Pour the mixture into the 2 deep dish pie crust. Then take the regular frozen pie crust and turn them upside down on top of the deep dish ones. You can use a little beaten egg to glue them together if you want but it isn't necessary. You can also spread the egg on the top of the upside down pie crust to give it a golden color when it is done.
Bake in 375 degree oven for about an hour.

Total time.... 30 minutes to get the pies ready to bake
1 hour cooking time that you can use to help the kids with homework or anything else you might need to do.

ok, thats mine, now share yours... lol  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:10 am
This is the Game Room, not the recipes thread. stare

... Take two slices of bread. Spread Peanut Butter on one slice, and Jelly on the other slice. Put the two slices together and you've got a PB&J sandwich ...  

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

MotherMoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:02 pm
I know it's a game room, I just was trying to come up with something different for a game.... If no one is interested then that is ok with me. Just trying is all  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:43 pm
recipes.com  

Wretched Soul
Crew

Shameless Hunter

1,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

charamath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:02 pm
I think it's a neat idea smile Unfortunatly, I'm one of those people who likes to wing it when they cook, so I really don't have recipes. I just add what my tastebuds tell me to. That, and I'm only good with deserts.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:20 pm
banana bread

Ingredients
1 cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
3 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.

Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the milk and cinnamon. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until combined. Add dry ingredients, mixing just until flour disappears.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan, invert onto rack and cool completely before slicing.

Spread slices with honey or serve with ice cream  

Ashe_08

suavitel2

Fashionable Hunter

7,750 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:03 am
KatrinaZ

... Take two slices of bread. Spread Peanut Butter on one slice, and Jelly on the other slice. Put the two slices together and you've got a PB&J sandwich ...

lolz. that`s just wrong.

cool so,... how long does it take to make one of those AWESOME sandwiches?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:18 am
suavitel2
KatrinaZ

lolz. that`s just wrong.

cool so,... how long does it take to make one of those AWESOME sandwiches?

blaugh Just a recipe my uncle jokingly put in my recipe box a very, very, very long time ago. Takes just a few minutes, if that! rofl  

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

Ashe_08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:46 am
New York-Style Cheesecake with Choice of Toppings: Blueberry, Strawberry, Pineapple

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 lemon, zested
1 orange, zested
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sour cream
Strawberry Sauce, optional, recipe follows
Blueberry Sauce, optional, recipe follows
Pineapple Sauce, optional, recipe follows
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Butter the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar and mix well. Press onto bottom of springform pan and bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool. When completely cooled, butter the sides of the pan.

Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, sugar, zests and vanilla and beat until light and creamy. Add the flour, then the eggs and yolks 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the sour cream and mix until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F and bake for 1 hour more. Transfer cake to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Refrigerate cake overnight before serving.

To serve, top with sauce of choice. Slice with a knife dipped in hot water and wiped with a clean cloth, and serve.

Strawberry Sauce:

2 pints fresh strawberries

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup water

1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

2 tablespoons kirsch or brandy

Combine berries, sugar, water and zest and cook until berries are soft and the liquid is thick, about 10 minutes. Stir in the kirsch or brandy and cook for 1 minute.

Remove from the heat and let cool. Spoon on top of the cheesecake and serve.

Blueberry Sauce:

1 1/2 cups sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice

2 tablespoons Grand Marnier liqueur

1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest

1 1/2 cups blueberries, picked over and rinsed

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

In a small saucepan over medium-high heat stir together the sugar, cornstarch, water, orange juice, and orange zest. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the blueberries and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the berries have burst, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat and let cool before pouring over the cheesecake.

Yield: 3 cups

Pineapple Sauce:

3 cups fresh 1/2-inch diced pineapple chunks

1/4 cup sugar, plus more to taste

1 cup water

1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

2 tablespoons light rum

Combine pineapple, sugar, water and zest, and cook until pineapple is tender and the liquid is thick, about 15 minutes. Stir in the rum, and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and let cool. Spoon on top of the cheesecake and serve.

Yield: about 3 cups  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:04 pm
Sounds more like an egg cake than a cheese cake. Seriously... 5 eggs plus two egg yolks!!? gonk

This is an easier {and less eggy} cheesecake:

INGREDIENTS:
1 (9 inch) prepared graham
cracker crust
1 (8 ounce) package cream
cheese, softened
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling, chilled
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add condensed milk and mix thoroughly. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla.
2. Pour into crust. Chill 2 hours. Top with cherry or other pie filling before serving. Refrigerate.

I also wanted to comment that cream of potato soup is the best for pot pie. You can also mix it with noodles and vegetables if you don't have pie crust or feel like having pot pie.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

KaleKatsura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:06 am
Part of me says that I should be happy you all posted these recipies, the other half of me thinks I should try to blow you all out of the water with some of the stuff I learned to make in Culinary Arts...

Favorite Dish: Unnamed (should have asked my teacher)

INGREDIENTS

1 pack of bacon (Burniose cut)
2 potatoes (Burniose cut)
3-5 eggs (depending on how many your feeding
Salt
pepper

Instructions
1. prepare bacon,once fully cooked, remove from heat, LEAVE THE GREASE!
2. Fry potatos in earlier stated grease untill fork tender
3. Crack eggs into a bowl, scramble
4. Return bacon to heat with the potatos, stir frequently,
5. Add Eggs, continue stirring untill the egg is completely cooked, season with salt and pepper.

I know this isn't the most HEALTHY breakfast, but its damned good.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:43 pm
Tuna Casserole

1 bag of pasta shells
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 small onion
1 package of cream cheese
1 can of tuna
bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
Boil pasta as directed, chop or fine grate (depends how much you like the crunchiness of onion, I like the taste but not the texture so I grate it), and mix the onion with the cream of mushroom soup and drained tuna.Then pour the drained pasta in the bowl of mushroom soup and tuna with onion and add the cream cheese (the heat from the pasta makes the cheese melt), stir till well mixed and salt and pepper to your desire and put in a dish and set the oven for about 350.Springle on top bread crumbs or crackers and cook till the crackers or crumb is golden.Everything is already pretty much cooked up still its nice.Takes at most an hour but like I said eat anytime, its all cooked.  

Creepy Clown Town

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:56 pm
Well, I think recipies is a cool idea! I'm glad it made the main page.

We used to have a soup recipie thread somewhere's...

Uh... split pea soup

Take a couple cups worth of dried split peas.
Wash them thoroughly (until they stop spewing nastiness)
Then cover them with an inch or two of water and put them on the boil.

Add hot dogs, cooked sausage or a hamhock, if you like.
I also add chicken stock or a little bullion if I have no pork products.
And a couple cloves of garlic, yum!

I find adding a single bay leaf also does wonders for the "body" of the soup's taste.

Boil until peas are tender. Try to evaporate off most of the water.
Watch it at the later stages to make sure it doesn't burn!

Scoop out the peas and any remaining liquid (it should be well reduced by now) and put it into a blender with a couple spoonfuls of mayonaise.

Remove any bones or hard chunks from sausage or hamhocks you may have put in there but leave the garlic (it should be nice and soft.)
If you put in a bay leaf, remove it, now.

You may wish to remove the meat and cube it separately, leave it in a bowl to the side to add back in later.

Blend everything else without mercy.

Pour the glop out and mix it with any cubed meat you've got left over from the boiling.

Serve with a sprinkling or parsley or dill. Great for cold winter nights!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:24 am
The Two Easiest Dinners In The World

The chicken dinner is incredibly easy, yet if you're trying to serve guests, they'll never walk away unsatisfied (unless they're vegetarian -- ask beforehand, for heaven's sake). I'll explain it in the most elementary of terms so that even a rank beginner will know what's needed in terms of equipment, ingredients, and directions.

The chicken soup below is even easier.

Hearty Chicken Dinner

Equipment:
Roasting pan or fairly deep skillet
Slicing knife
Cutting board

Big Ingredients -- metric measurements in parentheses)
1 whole chicken, still frozen and in its wrapper
8 red or yellow baby potatoes (I like baby Yukon Gold, but baby red are great too) - remove the eyes but leave the skin on
1 whole white onion with the ends removed, peeled, cut into 8ths lengthwise (could also use an apple corer)
2 green bell peppers, peeled, seeded, the white pith removed, sliced into 1/4" strips
1 apple, cored (Jonagold, Pippin, McIntosh, GravensteinJonathan, Winesap, Granny Smith as a last resort -- If you don't have a corer, just slice it into 8ths and remove the core bits by hand)

Small Ingredients
1 C (250 mL) water
Olive oil spray (be sure to get 100% olive oil, and not the artificial stuff; read the label)
1 tsp (5 g) salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp (2 g) pepper
1/4 to 1/2 tsp (2 g) garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp (2 g) Zaatar powder (optional -- you'd use very little of this anyway; if you want it, you can find it at Whole Foods, and pronounce it like this: ZAH-ah-tar)
1 TBSP (15 g) McCormick Imitation Butter Flavor (non-dairy)

1. Chicken and vegetables.
Spray olive oil in roaster or skillet -- about a 2-second spritz. Place chicken in, breast-up. Spread vegetables around chicken, spacing them fairly evenly. Make sure to put the potatoes in first, or they won't cook all the way.

2. Spicing.
Pour 1/2 CUP water into the pan. Spray entire contents of the pan with more olive oil spray -- this time, spray for about 5 seconds. Sprinkle dry spices evenly over top. Sprinkle imitation butter flavor only onto chicken.

3. Baking.
Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil if it doesn't have a lid that will cover the chicken without touching it. Put the pan into a cold oven, then turn the dial to 350 Fahrenheit (175 Celsius). Leave it for 2 hours. Then remove the foil or lid and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the chicken skin is golden brown.

4. Serving.
You can serve each person half a breast, two wings, one leg, or one thigh (roughly) and everyone will get just about the same amount of meat. If someone asks for dark meat, give them the thigh.

Meal #2: Chicken Soup

After the chicken meal, take whatever's left and just stick it in a gallon-sized freezer bag. Later, any time you like, the bones, skin, and the meat that clings to them can be boiled in a big stock pot to make chicken broth.

Put the chicken carcass into a large stock pot and add enough water to cover the carcass by about 3 inches (around 7 cm) -- make sure the stock pot is large enough to do this will still having at least 2 inches of stock pot above the water. Boil it for about two hours. Then remove the carcass and use a sieve to strain out the debris.

Return the broth to the pot, add vegetables (say, chopped celery, carrots, onions, green bell peppers -- one of each), and simmer for another couple of hours, covered.

After the first half-hour of simmering, the chicken will be cool enough to pick the meat free from the bones and put it back into the pot too.

Add about 2 cups (about 500 grams) of millet, pearl barley, rice (any kind, but rinse it in a sieve until the water runs clear before adding to soup) or any kind of pasta to the broth. For pasta, cook an additional ten minutes, stirring occasionally; for everything else, cook 25 minutes, also stirring occasionally. Yay, serve it and enjoy the compliments! This can also be frozen in plastic containers and saved for cold and flu season.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Mrs_Black_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:05 pm
i will have to get back to you on this when I find the time to dig out my empnadas and paella recipies  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff