Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
So My Boss's Business Got Evicted and he has no idea Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Creepy Clown Town

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:43 pm
So my job has been doing pretty bad making no money on some days and the owner has not made a shipment order i months so we had no inventory to sell.Payroll bounced due to insufficient funds and today we are sitting around and the mall gives us a letter saying we have till tomorrow at midnight to have the store cleared out.He never even told us his own employees he has not paid rent in two months so now we are all instantly unemployed.We could not even get ahold of him to tell him the business is over.We are not even showing up tomorrow to help this jerk out because he probably won't pay us for it.Crazy question but anyone have anything remotely like this happen to them?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:59 pm
Sure. More and more, recently.

I work a lot of crappy jobs to make ends meet, day labor and suchlike. If I got out on a job, I HATE it when they demand my timecard. I hold on to it or lie and say it's in the car, so I can produce it when the boss shows up. And make the jerk sign it!

If it looks like the boss beat feet or is tanking, I tend to lollygag around the worksite for a while, making like I'm busy, until I think the business looks like it's stable enough to pay. Some other guys at the sites talk about faking injuries and stuff, and I've seen a few try it, but you have to be really clever to make those workman's comp suits fly (and its kind of pointless if the boss runs out on you first.)

Usually, when I get stuck holding the bag, I double check first to make sure the company is really belly up. Very few people would consider me in any way responsible for the average company I work for, since I'm so low on the totem pole, but I try to distance myself anyway. If I have to check with a landlord, as in your case, I might make a call the next day and ask about the state of the eviction or if there's any recourse (but I don't give my real name!)

Usually, though, when the boss goes awol, the job goes awol. I usually find fill-in jobs (apprentice and labor ready, in my area, although labor ready generally sucks more than apprentice) or, if I can, take a day off to write.  

Harbone
Crew

oOo_Nightowl_oOo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:07 pm
Is his name Gary by chance?
Yeah, I had much the same thing happen to me in younger years. I used to help run a comic book store when I was younger and the owner used to pop in and empty the register and then leave.
We couldn't cover orders for new comics, rent, paytoll, etc. It got to the point where the store finally had to close and we ended up storing the inventory in my garage.
At one point I had heard that the owner was being investigated for tax evasion so 'what goes around, comes around.' Your boss will get his karma eventually too.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:13 pm
Funny you should ask. I worked for over a year for a news magazine. I knew that it wasn't making money, but I did think we were breaking even. Last Wednesday the 8th, at 11:35 AM, the manager told us (because the owner/boss wouldn't tell us himself) that the paper was closing at the end of day. Which was at noon, because everyone had to leave early to get ready for Yom Kippur. Yeah... Jewish paper, closing down and making us all into jobless Jews, six hours before the start of the holiest day in the Jewish calendar. Classic.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Creepy Clown Town

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:17 pm
tax evasion sounds like something he may do.He is a real slime ball.We actually took all info that may have our social security numbers on it with us because we were afraid he would try to open up accounts in our name or something like that.At this point, anything is possible.No, the place is gone, no way to avoid the eviction, I mean I don't even know if he will be here by tomorrow to get all the stuff out because we never got ahold of him to tell him that he is evicted.Its over, our phone was disconnected due to lack of payment and our staples account was canceled due to lack of payment and creditors are always calling looking for him.The man couldn't keep the business afloat even if he wanted to.

P.S.-no his name is Mike  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:19 pm
Divash
Funny you should ask. I worked for over a year for a news magazine. I knew that it wasn't making money, but I did think we were breaking even. Last Wednesday the 8th, at 11:35 AM, the manager told us (because the owner/boss wouldn't tell us himself) that the paper was closing at the end of day. Which was at noon, because everyone had to leave early to get ready for Yom Kippur. Yeah... Jewish paper, closing down and making us all into jobless Jews, six hours before the start of the holiest day in the Jewish calendar. Classic.
ouch, don't want to see his karma  

Creepy Clown Town

charamath

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:54 pm
Ya know, I'd show up tommarow anyways. If he doesn't show up, all of you guys can clear the place out like they told you and just consider it your last paycheck.

Someone was talking about faking injuries- no way in heck would I try something like that now. Workmen's comp just denied my dad, who actually DID injure his knee and required surgery from an incident (with witnesses) on the job. They didn't even bother to look at his case- the denial letter was postmarked the same day they suppousedly started looking at his case.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:13 am
You know, you probably can't get a hold of him because he knows his business is belly up, lol. What a dirt bag.

As for that last suggestion of showing up and clearing stuff, not a ******** snow balls chance in hell. I would not be responsible for s**t like that, no way. I'm usually a pretty big helper outer, but that would not be allowable, having someone skip out like that and expect his unpaid employees to pick up.  

Lady Asherat

Eloquent Elocutionist

2,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:03 am
The Playdough Bunny
Divash

The really fun part is that the boss is Jewish too, so I'm sure his Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) was a busy one.

I will say this for him, though. He's known for about a year that the business was losing money, and he fought tooth and nail to keep it going for this long. He took money out of his personal account to pay the business accounts, and he borrowed against his own properties to support our paper because it's something he believes in so strongly. I know he was devastated that it came to this. (But I still think he should man-up and tell it to us himself instead of sending the brand new -- hired six weeks ago, in fact -- managing editor to give us the news.)  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:27 pm
I'm not sure if looting is any better of an idea than faking an injury, by the way. I wouldn't reccomend either.  

Harbone
Crew

black_kittie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:29 pm
That sounds terrible, I'm sorry you are going through that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:25 am
Divash
The Playdough Bunny
Divash

The really fun part is that the boss is Jewish too, so I'm sure his Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) was a busy one.

I will say this for him, though. He's known for about a year that the business was losing money, and he fought tooth and nail to keep it going for this long. He took money out of his personal account to pay the business accounts, and he borrowed against his own properties to support our paper because it's something he believes in so strongly. I know he was devastated that it came to this. (But I still think he should man-up and tell it to us himself instead of sending the brand new -- hired six weeks ago, in fact -- managing editor to give us the news.)
one time he did take his own money and put it in the bank to fill payroll because the business did not make enough....once.The last time he just let it stay insufficient funds.He is such a Dirt bag  

Creepy Clown Town

Matlej

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:41 am
i have heard there is a economic crisis in U.S and some other country's
it effects even our work
and sorry to hear that it must be hard for you now crying  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:35 am
Harbone
I'm not sure if looting is any better of an idea than faking an injury, by the way. I wouldn't reccomend either.

Technically, it's their job to clear it out. So, they clear it out, put everything in storage and send the loser a certified letter saying 'pick up your junk in a week (and give us our final paychecks), or your property is forfiet.' He more then likely won't come, by the sounds of it, so *viola* end of a week you legitimatly have the stuff.  

charamath

Divinity Rage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:59 pm
I would have shown up, myself. That way he can't try to weasel out of paying unemployment due to a no-call no-show technicality.  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff