Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wiccanwolf09

4,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:29 pm
Why dont more people vote and who is everyone voting for?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:00 pm
Pffft, I've voted in every primary/election since I was 18. It actually came as a big surprise to me; I've always hated politics, and anything to do with it. Until recently, that is.... Guess I figured that if I didn't participate, I had no real right to b***h.

And I'm voting for Obama. Hells yeah!
blaugh  

Seanne

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 pm
I think everyone who can vote, should. That 30 percent something statistic they keep throwing around for voter turnout is shameful.

I'm voting Obama for president, and Libertarian for local elections (as the local Democrat/Republican candidates are scummy even by politician standards >_<).  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:40 pm
I've been a registered voter since a week after I turned 18. It really is one of my pet peeves how people gripe about the government but when you ask if they vote they say stuff like "oh my vote doesn't count anyway." Oh yeah? Shut the hell up then unless: A) you just became a citizen or are working on it B) weren't old enough to vote for or against the person currently in office. C) You did vote, but what you wanted didn't happen.
So many people have worked so hard for me to even have the chance to vote. Revolutionary War brings us democracy---Civil War frees black people from slavery---more years pass, men who aren't landowners get to vote--- more years pass, black men vote--- Women start griping--- women get vote--- etc. etc. I tried to shorten that line of thought a bit, hope everyone sees what I'm getting at. Too much work went into my ability to vote for me to take it for granted.
I definitely agree that everyone who can vote should. Local politics is kind of "meh" (for lack of a better description) but I do try to pay attention. rolleyes  

Lady_Niqui

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:04 pm
I have no idea why people don't vote. I've cherished the right to vote, here in the US, since I was in high school. I couldn't wait to cast my first ballot... so I could start legitimately griping about the government!

Even when people think it won't make much difference, there's always bizarre third-party candidates you can tap. I like the idea that I have some impact over my country's direction, no matter how miniscule.

This time, I voted pretty much straight Democratic Party in all races, although I used to pick and choose between parties, especially at the local level.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:36 pm
Aw, but Drizzt is so very awesome, Harbone! Who wouldn't want to be a kick-a** dark elf with a pet black panther?

On the main topic- I've ben voting since I was legal (mainly because that's when the gay marriage rights bill came up). I did hear one young person gripping about hating McCain, and she then said 'I'd vote for Obama, but voting is too much of a hassle to register for.' WTF? You have to do more paperwork for a job, and this is a one-time deal!  

charamath

Lady_Niqui

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:27 pm
You know what makes it even worse is that you can fill out the voter registration paperwork so that you can vote by mail. They send it to you like a whole month before the election, you vote whenever you feel like it and stick that bad boy in the mail. Don't have to leave work, find the polling place or anything. The only way it could get easier is if they made it possible to vote online rolleyes But they wouldn't do that because can you imagine what they'd have to do to secure that against hackers... it'd be completely nuts.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:04 am
Im not going to vote on this one at all. There are a lot of things that are important i this election right now but im not to sure if its actually worth to go vote. Vote for Macain and were SCREW!... Vote for Obama and they are more than likely going to assassinate him before or after he get to be president. Obama would be the best choice but, there have been to many life threats against obama because of the issues of race in this country. An as for Macain ... well thats like putting another bush up there.

I can tell you one thing. I wouldn't want n air head for a vice president. xp xp xp  

Noir Resurection

Wealthy Tycoon

Noir Resurection

Wealthy Tycoon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:08 am
Lady_Niqui
You know what makes it even worse is that you can fill out the voter registration paperwork so that you can vote by mail. They send it to you like a whole month before the election, you vote whenever you feel like it and stick that bad boy in the mail. Don't have to leave work, find the polling place or anything. The only way it could get easier is if they made it possible to vote online rolleyes But they wouldn't do that because can you imagine what they'd have to do to secure that against hackers... it'd be completely nuts.

Thats why here in the state of Texas, electronic voting machines are baned and everyone has to use a paper ballot in order to vote due to the insecurity of the electronic voting. They say its way to easy for someone to go in and change or add or remove votes.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:35 am
Actually, I can understand why people don't want to vote! Normally, the choices are between Thing One and Thing Two, Dumb and Dumber. You get the idea. BUT, this year we finally have someone to vote for that we can support with at least the hope of change. A brilliant man, graduated Magna c** Laude from Harvard, with youth and enthusiasm and a plan to give the country back to those who own it -the American people.
Barack Obama. He's the man! If he can't do it, no one can!  

Lucky Lass 38

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:00 am
I actually enjoy voting. I've been voting for the past 4 years (since i was legal) and I really like the change of getting up and saying what I feel about our country.

I'm voting Obama and green party/democratic for the local people.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:55 am
I've been a proud and conscientious voter since I was old enough to be one. I've taken days off of school and work to vote; I've sent in absentee ballots when I knew I'd never be able to get there on that day; I've participated in early voting whenever my state offered it (including the fact that I'll be going later today).

My grandmother still remembers putting on her Sabbath best and marching down to the voting booth, along with all her kids, in order to become one of the first black women to vote in Mississippi. She was making the point to her children: this is something to be proud of, to cherish, and to do without fail whenever possible, because if we don't exercise this right, it will be taken from us again.

Just as much as I treasure the right to vote, I treasure the fact that my country permits and protects a secret ballot. As proud as I am to support my causes and my candidates, I still feel that it's important not to discuss whom and what I support. That right, too, will disappear if we don't exercise it.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Corbin Noir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:19 am
Lucky Lass 38
Actually, I can understand why people don't want to vote! Normally, the choices are between Thing One and Thing Two, Dumb and Dumber. You get the idea. BUT, this year we finally have someone to vote for that we can support with at least the hope of change. A brilliant man, graduated Magna c** Laude from Harvard, with youth and enthusiasm and a plan to give the country back to those who own it -the American people.
We're screwed then. Sorry, he has my vote, but if you look closely at him, he's less than inspiring.

I've heard it predicted -and I believe this to be true- that Barack's presidency will be a four year caretaker presidency while he tries to keep his head above the economic, iraq and immigration crisises -then, in 2012 Palin will swoop down to grab the presidency, and then probably fire off a nuke by 2014 so that her beloved Jesus will come back on a cloud. sweatdrop

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:28 am
Noir Resurection
Thats why here in the state of Texas, electronic voting machines are baned and everyone has to use a paper ballot in order to vote due to the insecurity of the electronic voting. They say its way to easy for someone to go in and change or add or remove votes.

No, that's not right. Here in Houston, Texas (Harris County) we've had electronic voting machines working well, and are easy to understand, for at least 4 years. Since 25% of all Texans live in Houston, that's not trivial.

Houston is a cosmopolitan city in a red state, so there are lots of folks watching from both sides, here. I've even volunteered to be a poll watcher, myself, this year, to make sure the newbies coming in to vote for the first time are not turned away for some bogus reason. Every person has the right and RESPONSIBILITY to vote! I voted last week so I could help out on election day. Here's hoping we turn Harris County blue!

Taxi Mama

charamath

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:53 pm
Lucky Lass 38

LOL I had to laugh because I know of nobody personally who doesn't hate BOTH canindates this time around and think we're screwed no matter what. It's exactly 'thing 1' or 'thing 2'. Either vote for the inexperianced parrot who only knows the word 'change' , or the cranky old guy who pretty much just has a war record (though a stupendous one at that) to stand on.

BTW, I'm voting McCain. I think Obama wouldn't know what to do if he won.  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff