Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
OH GAWD THEY HAVE RUINED PHILIP PULLMAN'S FINE LITERATURE!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lollipop Jungle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:39 pm
They turned the Golden Compass into a collection of snippets from the story. They cut it early, and it progressed EXTREMELY fast, and explained everything so that if you hadn't read the book (like me) you had zero chance of understanding.

D:

Discuss:
-This disgrace to literature
- Books made into movies that ended horridly  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:11 pm
The original book isn't even that good to begin with. While it's an above-average young-readers novel, it's not great literature. The movie was bad because it was a bad movie, not because it deviated from the novel.  

GilAskan

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:48 pm
"The Golden Compass" was not the greatest piece of fiction ever written, contrary to what many of my friends think. I got the series for Christmas (in hardcover, even), started reading them, and haven't finished. I got through The Golden Compass only because my then-girlfriend wanted to see the movie, so I figured I might as well finish the book before seeing it.

Needless to say, the movie was a mess. It removed whole strings of story, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it just made it confusing. They actually ended the movie like a good 3 or 4 chapters before the book actually ended, totally leaving way too many point lines open.

I seriously wanted to destroy the filmmakers.

And, back on the topic of the book, I only made it maybe part way through the second on before I decided that Lyra was I whiny little who deserved to spend a year in Africa or some third-world country so she'd learn some respect! Oh my flipping God, I wanted to rip her bloody head off. But she is only a fictional character. *sigh* One day, I'll be able to bring book characters to life, and then I'll show them what I really think of them! xd  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:46 pm
The Third book was I think, the best. Unless of course, you're religious, then you might not like it. xD

My mom and I loved the Trilogy though. She read them to me when I was like...ten. So great.
I heard the movie was terrible, therefore I have decided not to watch it.  

sankapoo

8,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Midnight Phase

6,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:27 pm
I watched the movie first and actually didn't think it was too bad. I understood it and all, but I wanted to read the book to see how much of a difference it was. After reading the book, I figured that the movie was more of like a preview to the book. The movie was good, but not as good as the book (of course).
I loved the series of the books. It was an easy read, but it had a good storyline, I thought. I didn't care for Lyra though ... she's kind of irritating.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:43 pm
i saw the movie and then read the book, and i think considering how many details and everything were in the book they did a really good job. after the reading the book i think it was an amazing accomplishment to even bring to the story to the big screen  

x--stevee--x

PandaBoi3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:00 pm
Well, I read all of the books. An absolutely amazing series. Probably the best thing I've read. But when I saw the movie, I was really disappointed. The characters in the movie were really quite annoying. Also with how it skipped through everything, with things popping up in completely the wrong spot. I hope that they don't bring this kind of a disgrace to the other books as well -.-'  
Disappointing Movies

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games