Total Votes : 12

Dragon student

Dangerous Survivor

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:01 pm
With my job working for a cell phone company, I talk to a lot of parents who want to set restrictions on their kids' phones--or people that want to block access for some odd reason or another for the phone they got for someone else.

Thanks to a friend of mine, I have something for anyone who falls into this predicament--and I present them to you complete for computer access too!!!

http://www.mykidissafe.com/ is a site where you can set up filters on your computer to block your kids from going to unauthorized websites without you hovering over their shoulder.

The subsite (http://www.mykidissafe.com/mobile) does along the same lines, but you can even have the website block access from the phone completely if the kids are supposed to be in bed or at school. Also, you can set up filters for pictures or text to have copies sent to an email address if you think your kids are doing something they're not supposed to do.

I haven't had the chance to play with the website myself (lack of kids and I know what I'm doing--most of the time), but if there's any geezers who use this, please tell me about it so I can use it more on my calls at work to help stressed parents.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:56 am
Before he moved in with me, my step son was under-parented. He knew the rules, but nobody checked on him. The phone bill came, and dad found 13-year old son had been making phone calls in the middle of the night to strangers he'd met online. Dad confiscated the phone and the computer, for three months, as punishment. Son swears it was just gamer talk, but you know that's how the bad stuff starts. He still mourns the loss of that online ADULT friend; kids just can't understand how dangerous people can be.

It would have been way better for the phone to be limited to connecting with a parentally determined set of phone numbers. But there has to be an emergency procedure to make / get a call, in case Dad's using a pay phone, or something.

Taxi Mama

Dragon student

Dangerous Survivor

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:59 pm
Taxi Mama, did you know you can set the cell phone to only place calls to--and accept calls from--the address book? I've done that on my younger cousin's phones to help their parents keep an eye on their kids.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:19 am
I figured there must be a way, given what you'd said. They're all old enough now it doesn't matter. My own 13-year old just got his first cell phone, though, and I'm tempted.  

Taxi Mama

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:57 am
Taxi Mama
I figured there must be a way, given what you'd said. They're all old enough now it doesn't matter. My own 13-year old just got his first cell phone, though, and I'm tempted.

I would definitely do it if you are tempted.. There is just too much 'temptation'...  
Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games