Reply Serious Conversations
Just needing a good vent about gaia public

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

queen of qeeks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:30 pm
I just tried to get help about an embarrassing issue from the people in the GD and literally, my thread was filled with dozens of replies that either made fun of me, put a bunch of curses together to form half a sentence, questioned my morality and sanity, or were completely useless answers. I am just angry and hurt and confused. Is this how they respond to everyone? I was sincerely asking for advice and they just stabbed a few more holes into my problem. Since when is writing "******** you" as a reply to my questions a "discussion?" Isn't that what GD stands for? Gaaaaaahhh.

I don't want to go on for too long because I know reading these are boring...but I thank you for allowing me this space to vent--especially a space where I know responsible and kind adults will hang around.

On a related note, has anyone had an experience like this before? Am I being stupid and touchy to let it bother me like this?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:51 am
queen of qeeks
I just tried to get help about an embarrassing issue from the people in the GD and literally, my thread was filled with dozens of replies that either made fun of me, put a bunch of curses together to form half a sentence, questioned my morality and sanity, or were completely useless answers. I am just angry and hurt and confused. Is this how they respond to everyone? I was sincerely asking for advice and they just stabbed a few more holes into my problem. Since when is writing "f**k you" as a reply to my questions a "discussion?" Isn't that what GD stands for? Gaaaaaahhh.

I don't want to go on for too long because I know reading these are boring...but I thank you for allowing me this space to vent--especially a space where I know responsible and kind adults will hang around.

On a related note, has anyone had an experience like this before? Am I being stupid and touchy to let it bother me like this?
That's the GD for you. Basically it's full of "edgy" kids who sit around and pretend to be hardcore. One of the reasons I looked for a "geezer" guild is to have an alternative to the GD, in fact. I wanted a "GD" without the hostility and the bullshit.

It was a bad idea to go there for any sort of support or anything, yes. I'm not really sure that there's any kind of area on Gaia that you could reliably trust with anything that's either embarrassing or too personal. I just don't think this site can handle anything like that.

I have had experiences where I've been on forums and said things that were too personal. I was on a heavy metal forum ages ago when I was quitting drinking and I wound up having things related to that thrown in my face, and that hurt. Since then, I'm a lot more careful and guarded about what I say online.  

Corbin Noir

queen of qeeks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:37 am
Corbin Noir
queen of qeeks
I just tried to get help about an embarrassing issue from the people in the GD and literally, my thread was filled with dozens of replies that either made fun of me, put a bunch of curses together to form half a sentence, questioned my morality and sanity, or were completely useless answers. I am just angry and hurt and confused. Is this how they respond to everyone? I was sincerely asking for advice and they just stabbed a few more holes into my problem. Since when is writing "f**k you" as a reply to my questions a "discussion?" Isn't that what GD stands for? Gaaaaaahhh.

That's the GD for you. Basically it's full of "edgy" kids who sit around and pretend to be hardcore. One of the reasons I looked for a "geezer" guild is to have an alternative to the GD, in fact. I wanted a "GD" without the hostility and the bullshit.

It was a bad idea to go there for any sort of support or anything, yes. I'm not really sure that there's any kind of area on Gaia that you could reliably trust with anything that's either embarrassing or too personal. I just don't think this site can handle anything like that.

I have had experiences where I've been on forums and said things that were too personal. I was on a heavy metal forum ages ago when I was quitting drinking and I wound up having things related to that thrown in my face, and that hurt. Since then, I'm a lot more careful and guarded about what I say online.

Indeed. I'd think that with the internet being so huge and full of different people that the result would be different...but it's a bit scary to see how everyone flocks to what is currently seen as "cool" regardless of what they themselves think.

Thanks for the understanding. You made me feel better. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:25 am
GD is the new CB... CB is watered down /b.... if any of that makes sense sweatdrop

Basically, all the "edgy" and "random" people that you would commonly find in chatterbox a few years ago have flocked into general discussion because the even more "edgy" and "random" people started coming into chatterbox. General discussion is no longer a place to go for discussion... it's a new chatterbox.

I think most of the forums have actually had an influx of "edgy" people in recent years... I'm not sure if the members are just getting younger or more stupid. It's best to steer clear of posting anything embarrassing on most of gaia, especially CB and GD because they are vicious.

Life issues might give you a little more luck, but I guarantee nothing... last time I went there, the posts were something along the lines of
"OMG, liek my bf cheated on me w/ my bff!! We r so in love, how could he do this!!?! We were dating for liek, 2 weeks!!! That's liek... forever!! I wana kill myself crying " Some people there seem to actually take things seriously and give real advice, but a lot of threads seemed to be started by middle-schoolers who are clueless about life.

Extended discussion isn't too bad, but posts can get lengthy and some people will go out of their way to try to prove they are smarter than you even if it has nothing to do with the subject you are discussing.

If you want an actual, serious discussion without insults and arguements... your best bet is guilds with mature members {such as this}, or finding another message board altogether.

Personally I haven't had any experience with this happening to me because I knew from the start not to post anything so personal that people could use in some way to harm me. In the event that someone tries to say something harmful to me anyway, I try to take it in stride... keeping in mind that they are just saying those things to try to get a rise out of me and they have no idea what they're actually talking about.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Taxi Mama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:20 pm
All of the above is sad but all too common. Come on in, snag a barstool, and tell the barkeep what you'd like to cry into... we'll listen and attempt to share our hard-earned wisdom.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:50 pm
I've had people get rude just talking about random stuff. So don't take it too hard.

Vent all you need to honey.  

Kisaki Kitsune-Hi

BlueberryJoy

High-functioning Cutesmasher

12,475 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:23 am
Don't ever post in GD. Most of those kids are assholes because they're trying to 'impress the crowd'.

If you have an issue you need feedback on, Life Issues is a bit better, though they have a few persistent trolls. They're still worlds better than GD.

Or, you could just ask us! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:21 pm
Seriously, I wouldn't post personal where those kiddos can see them. stare  

Pink Mint Tea

Lycangoddess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:16 am
As one of my new favorite phrases states, the gene pool needs chlorine.

It seems like it is "cool", "edgy", and "en vogue" to be completely heartless, self absorbed, and mentally incompetent.

When they are done playing catty in the tabby arena, they can join the rest of the adults in the lions den and get ripped to shreds for stabby remarks.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:37 pm
One of the most memorable and remarkable quotes I have ever come across is "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent." Most of the discussion groups on Gaia fall into this category. I am sincerely sorry you got burned by the GD but I do hope that we can salve the wounds and make your Gaian experience better. I have a great cane with which to beat any of those ignorant, disrespectful, small minded, urchins that attempt to come near.  

klubkyd

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tipsy 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Shuyajin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 pm
Forums all together kinda suck. People are able to say anything with little to no consequence. Way back in the day forums were conducted in public where people actually spoke. Can't expect anything good from a forum you could browse through with your eyes closed.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:57 pm
I'm new and, here I am, reading you had the same issues I have after me being here just 3 days, so taint just the 2 of us.

Kids ... bah. >smacks nearest adolescent staffmember with diamond studded cane<

I wonder if we need an age filter to be applied to forum responses: "Only display posts from members older than 22" or "Only display posts from members who have their OWN children" or some such.

klubkyd has the right answer. They are unarmed.

TTFN!  

mmmmna

Angeliqe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:06 pm
I agree with what they all said...ask where you're "safe"...people who can maybe help but won't be jerks (or if they are it's only because they love you) I almost never post personal stuff on here, I learned a long time ago not to even BE me most of the time. I have been lucky though and found a few awesome people on here who are my "internet" friends now, and I've known them uh...since trial of ian, however long ago that was XD And they were totally there and helped with some issues I went through the past couple years. There are even some "kids" in the mix, lol...but, we beat some sense into them a while ago.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:09 am
i am an 05-er. I was really shy back then so i never posted in forums. i really wished i did for the gold benefits because the forums were much tamer back then.

I avoid the forums at all possible. If you have any idea that goes against the curve of Gaian society, you will have everyone flaming you. If you go with the fly and say things like i suck Naruto's......more than you do because i touch myself to shows like that at night, you will probably get a ton more people admitting to that. Sad but True. Personally I could never get into Naruto, Sure ninja's are cool and all, But I like classical dubbed ninja films over this cartoon animated ninja's with shakra's and other junk like that. Death Note got redundant over time. "oh Light's going to take over the world and how is he not going to be caught, and oh we're in the future and Light is still facing off against the police and others who have death notes." kinda redundant. Bleach was amazing in the save rukia beginnings. then it got into the weird different species than the spirit eater thingies i am drawing a blank on. xD it's 7am i can't think.

any public forum you post is bound to have flamers, trolls, and haters. biggrin  

Koichi Wing

Moonlight Lover

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items