Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Lala Chat. General chat & Spam
Twilight Fandom -- Out of hand and out of touch?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  Yus plz
View Results

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:09 pm
Okay, is it just me, or is the Twilight fandom getting slightly out of hand and out of touch with reality? I see they've FINALLY got it under control in the GD. It's been a good 2 days since I've seen a Twilight thread in there. Hell, I even made a thread about the lack of Twilight threads, and a link that I found to an excerpt from the book which I didn't think was real, and I got flamed! xd

Btw, the link was real. It read like bad fan-fic (almost worst than My Immortal), but it was real.

Discuss:
Twilight the book
Bad fan fictions (like My Immortal. If you haven't read it, I'm sure there's a link on the Encyclopedia Dramatica page)
Over-zealous Twilight fangirls/boys

Also, to any fangirls who may come in to defend Twilight: please make your arguments legitimate and don't cite that Edward is teh sex as your reason for it being awesome, or how Meyer's bastardization of the vampire genre is a unique and fresh take on the boring traditional lore.

(Oh dear, I start spending time in the GD, and already I start bringing in their memes. Just watch - soon tl;dr will invade our somewhat still literate guild. gonk .)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:20 pm
Now, I haven't completed reading the first book yet, and was only inspired to because I saw the movie and fell in love with it. Ofcoarse, now I'm realizing that the book is rather different than the movie (as always) but I still prefer the movie version.

Also, you can't be too surprised that Twilight is all over GD, before I even saw the movie I knew it would be all over gaia and other teen focused sites. Especially after Hot Topic started selling Twilight goodies. I love Twilight, but I'm not going to spam forums with it. cool  

Secret keys

arrjaytee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:41 pm
i just think they could have done a way better job.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:25 am
i loved the books, but the movie...i was hoping for better. i don't like how much its talked about. its everywhere. i like hearing peoples opinions about it but it needs to stop.  

Art_Lover_666

crimsonsky91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:39 pm
love the book but the movie.....well, its not as good as the book is all i can say. guess edward is too perfect to be acted by any actors....lolz  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:55 am
Loved Twilight & Eclipse; liked New moon and have mixed feelings about Breaking Dawn. As for the movie, I didn't bother wasting my money seeing it cause I knew it'd be horrible. And the hype surrounding it and the books is ridiculous. I did love Edward, but I loved Emmet more, honestly. And Bella is annoying as hell. And the fangirls/boys scare the hell out of me. I wouldn't be surprised if I looked up one day and there was a Twilight religion in place if there isn't already one. neutral  

Post Coital Cookie
Captain

Bloblike Loiterer

Edward-Bella-NessieCullen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:27 pm
ok i didnt love the movie but everyone has failed to tell me what is wron about twilight or what makes it bad. i find it all as just an acton romance. sure it isnt the most fantastic romance or the most action packed but you get feelings for ALL the characters. if something ever happend to a character, you feel something. and no matter how much you want to denie that, it is true and you know that. if you have no feeling for it....... you have no heart............... cry  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:55 pm
I loved ALL the books,
I didn't get crazy about the movie cause some of the sences could of been ALOT better but what do I know right lol.....

I know what you mean Edward-Bella-Nessiecullen, for all the one's who say "it's stupid" or whatever else about it. They have told me nothing to why it's bad. And I agree with you about the feeling part, I cryed in New Moon when Edward, Alice and the hole family left, but then got excited to see how Jacob helped out. There's feeling in the whole saga, and I don't think the one's that read it and say it's bad know what feeling is.  

DragonsHeartAurora

Pierced Smoker

13,075 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Moira 200

The McNinja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:07 pm
I DONT LIKE TWILIGHT ANYMORE BECAUSE OF THE MOVIE  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:07 pm
Auroraladyofdragons
I loved ALL the books,
I didn't get crazy about the movie cause some of the sences could of been ALOT better but what do I know right lol.....

I know what you mean Edward-Bella-Nessiecullen, for all the one's who say "it's stupid" or whatever else about it. They have told me nothing to why it's bad. And I agree with you about the feeling part, I cryed in New Moon when Edward, Alice and the hole family left, but then got excited to see how Jacob helped out. There's feeling in the whole saga, and I don't think the one's that read it and say it's bad know what feeling is.

Why Twilight sucks:
1. The books have no literary value whatsoever. The novels are mostly dialogue, and they don't make a significant statement on anything. (I know: not all books make statements about society/life/etc. However, the greatest ones do.) The novel reads like fan-fiction... BAD fan-fiction.
2. The characters are vapid, ignorant, annoying, stupid, one-dimensional Mary-Sues and Gary-Stus.
3. The plot lacks substance. Some may argue against this, and will then quote the rather long plot summary found on Wikipedia, but a long plot summary=/=substantial plot.
4. Meyer has stated that these novels came from a dream she had about a gorgeous guy (who presumably became Edward). Enough said.
5. Bella is a self-insert of Meyer. So, what we're reading is some Mormon housewife's wet dream.
6. This is totally unrelated to why Twilight sucks, but I think it is interesting that Meyer pitched a fit when Midnight Sun leaked. As I recall, a few chapters of one of the Harry Potter books were leaked, and Rowling continued to write the book.
7. The fangirls.
8. The fanboys.
9. They made a movie out of the book.

Is that convincing enough for you?  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

Dreamy green fairy

5,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 am

When I saw the completely horrible bill boards advertising Twilight I stayed clear of the cinema for a month. I refused to even watch any of the trailers because the one I did see was nothing but terrible. I don't see the hype for this film/novels -if you can call it that-. It's obviously badly acted with little interaction from any of the characters and just another movie aimed at young impressionable people. If I wanted to go watch a good vampire romance I would watch Queen of the Damned or Interview with a Vampire. Hell, even the Lost boys has a better plot line than this drivel.

The fact that it's based on more than one book is quite bad and from what I've heard it's wrote out like shoddy fan-fiction. This is bad and I agree with RedWhiteBlack, I'd rather not read about some wife's dirty fantasy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:19 pm
RedWhiteBlack

Why Twilight sucks:
1. The books have no literary value whatsoever. The novels are mostly dialogue, and they don't make a significant statement on anything. (I know: not all books make statements about society/life/etc. However, the greatest ones do.) The novel reads like fan-fiction... BAD fan-fiction.
2. The characters are vapid, ignorant, annoying, stupid, one-dimensional Mary-Sues and Gary-Stus.
3. The plot lacks substance. Some may argue against this, and will then quote the rather long plot summary found on Wikipedia, but a long plot summary=/=substantial plot.
4. Meyer has stated that these novels came from a dream she had about a gorgeous guy (who presumably became Edward). Enough said.
5. Bella is a self-insert of Meyer. So, what we're reading is some Mormon housewife's wet dream.
6. This is totally unrelated to why Twilight sucks, but I think it is interesting that Meyer pitched a fit when Midnight Sun leaked. As I recall, a few chapters of one of the Harry Potter books were leaked, and Rowling continued to write the book.
7. The fangirls.
8. The fanboys.
9. They made a movie out of the book.

Is that convincing enough for you?

I agree. Well aside from #4-9, that really has nothing to do with why the book sucks. That's more... your personal dislikings towards it/the author. But back on topic, the books have nothing substantial about the story. They are written like a bad teen soap opera. A love story with tons of drama and vampires thrown in, and that leads most of its teen fans (psh, more like religous followers) with its "forbidden love" and what not, to fantasize and swoon over the book. You can argue all you want and come up with something about how it has a "deeper meaning" or whatever... but the way I see it, Meyer wrote this cause she had nothing better to do and it lucked into becoming some cult classic. Any "deeper meaning" you come up with to why its a great book is just that, a deeper meaning you came up with.

Until I am truly convinced otherwise that's how I stand on the whole Twilight craze (which I'm glad to say looks to be subsiding finally).

Timmay896

Lala Chat. General chat & Spam

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff