Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Serious Conversations
We're older, Does that mean we have to be cruel? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How should Gaia Geezers treat the Gaia Youth?
We are older and wiser, thus they should respect us and obey us!
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
We are older and wiser, we should help them along their path.
52%
 52%  [ 33 ]
We are older and wiser, we must torment and ridicule all those who are younger.
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
We are older and wiser, we must only ridicule those which deserve it.
38%
 38%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 63

lunaci

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 pm
I have to say I enjoyed reading this post. I am also appalled at the fact that a 20 something year old would do something. I'm not thrilled about a lot of the kids here (a lot of them can be very disrespectful), but there is no reason for an adult to do that. I find it beyond sad.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:28 pm
I really haven't had a lot of people look down on me for really anything. The only times I encounter rude people it's when I'm working retail and they are angry because they can't get there way.

My mother always said 'kill them with kindness' and I usually stick with that policy while I berate others, but only when they deserve it.  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

lunaci

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:39 pm
Vengence of Areashine
I really haven't had a lot of people look down on me for really anything. The only times I encounter rude people it's when I'm working retail and they are angry because they can't get there way.

My mother always said 'kill them with kindness' and I usually stick with that policy while I berate others, but only when they deserve it.

Funny. My friend told me loads of times that I should kill people with kindness. It works very well for her.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:21 am
Vengence of Areashine

I work in retail right now and I just have some hateful people. It's usually not because of age, but because they see me as somehow below themselves. For some reason they think I work retail because I have nothing else going. However, they are wrong. They are always shocked to find out I have a college degree and am usually well spoken. I usually kill them with kindness, but sometimes that pisses them off more... which actually makes me laugh inside.  

Delirium of the Endless

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

SilntAngl5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:06 pm
I feel very connected to everything everyone has said here. I KNOW I've experienced/been part of something that would DEFINITELY file itself into this thread topic... but for the life of me I cannot remember. Regardless, I am glad to see so any level and open minded people here. There is hope. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:15 pm
I am so pleased with the response I've gotten on this thread. It has really meant a lot to me. I helped an 11 year old today on zOMG! and when he asked my age he seemed shocked that I was so nice. I don't know how to feel about that. I suppose I'm happy that I've given him a new perspective.  

Delirium of the Endless

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Delirium of the Endless

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 pm
I am officially Grams on on of the zOMG! servers. I don't know how to feel about that. LOL rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:28 am
*laughs* That's crazy....I say you aren't old, and there for grandmotherly, until you're 70.  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 pm
Delirium of the Endless
I am officially Grams on on of the zOMG! servers. I don't know how to feel about that. LOL rofl

Looks like whe you go back to ZOMG, better be armed with your Walker-Of-Force and your Prunes-of-Protection! LOL  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:02 pm
I definetly go into zOMG! equiped with me Ring of Grumpiness and Charm of Denture Cream!  

Delirium of the Endless

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Crisamie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:57 pm
I have noticed the same thing happen in many different arenas. I think this is very sad and always try to speak up when I notice these situations.

As far as the poll goes, others learn by example I hope.

I believe that every encounter I have, I try and make the other person feel better when they leave. I also teach this to my 2 son's who are teenagers. I constantly have people who I have never met come up to me and start a conversation. When they leave my son will say "Let me guess, you never saw that person before in your life did you?" I tell him no I haven't but maybe they just need a perfect stranger to talk to? Does it really hurt me to stop for 2 minutes to listen?

Guess what? I noticed my son doing the same thing with a younger child in a department store. I was so proud of him, of course I couldn't say anything to him or he would probably never do it again, gotta love teenagers.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:13 am
Crisamie, same happens to me. Total strangers just tend to stay and talk, I can't get out of any store where clerk isn't very busy without some story or two. I'm asked directions all the time, no matter am I at my home city or somewhere I've never visited before.

I am nice to everyone and maybe that is the something that makes people want to talk. That's been a great way to learn interesting small facts about things I would never hear about. And I like it. I don't know lots about karma, but I believe that good things come back to you. And even if those doesn't... you've made someone happy and that's often enough for me.  

Veddhartha

Venuslady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:53 am
I think tht because we're older, we should be MORE compassionate and understanding, because we've been there and done that!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:45 pm
I think that any 20-something picking on a kid is just disgusting and disgraceful. What a class-A jerk and bully. I try to help kids on ZOMG and stand up for them if I witness anything such as this.  

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Venuslady

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:44 am
Maybe this is a bit off-topic, but speaking of the ZOMG game, I seem to be STUCK in the doggone Null Chamber and can't get back out. Advice or help anyone?  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff