Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Hard times with jobs Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crystalwolf78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 am
How many people are having trouble looking or keeping jobs? i been looking for 5 months now and I need one now or i loose the apartment.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:37 am
I do have a job right now at JCPenney call center, but after December, they could lay me off if I didn't sell enough useless product. I don't have high hopes. There's a few banking jobs that I might be able to go in for, but I've never done that before either. The problem is, is that I'm about to graduate with a BA in Biology, so I need to start finding a seasonal job for the summer to start working on my career. So the job has to be temporary, but also pay well because I need to pay off my student loans.

To top everything off, I live in Michigan, a state that has the highest unemployment rate of the United States. Maybe I should join the army....  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

HelloKitty72

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:33 am
Look for work at a hospital. They always need help and as far as I know no one has ever been laid off.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:53 am
Unfortunately I have a seasonal job at a call center and then I will be laid off by the middle of january.After that I don't know what I will do but in April I get a bachelors in Speech Pathology and I guess go from there sweatdrop  

Creepy Clown Town

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:55 am
I maybe let go after the holidays from Circuit City, so I'm working my hardest to be valuable to the Firefox crew.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:00 am
I'm a graduating student in March. I'm a little frightened about finding a job- there aren't a lot of animation studios hiring right now.  

Pink Mint Tea

lostphrack

Codebreaking Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:39 pm
I've been looking but haven't had a whole lot of luck. Lot's of "If we're interested we'll call you" lines though. From the sounds of things it's just going to get tougher over the next year or so.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:44 pm
I lost my Job in June, been jobless since. Apparently I am over-qualified to do most everything. I recently lowered my standards and just started this week working at Autozone, Mindless corporate work making minimum wage. The benefit of this and My Job at home depot, while they pay shite, is the network you can build with the customers that come in. Working at Home Depot allowed me to get my Electrical business off the ground in Chicago, most of the people that come in are clueless how to work on their homes. By showing knowledge and good advice, as well as being personable, got me the contacts I needed to stop working for minimum wage Corporate and do thriving business remodeling, growing my business by word of mouth. When I moved to Atlanta I lost all that network and had to start from scratch, it went well at the start then failed and I had to become a cook, that went well for a bit, even got on the food network for a sec. Alas it was not to last and again I found myself out of work looking for a job. Starting at Autozone is hopefully the start I need here for a bit, I already have a couple of vehicle repair jobs lined up that I would not have had if I hadn't been at a place where people come in that don't know what they are doing. I find the key to gainful employment to be --- go somewhere that your services are in demand but by clueless people. Show them your expertise, by knowledge and deed, win them to your side by being polite, you don't have to be all that charismatic, just listening to their problems and being nice and helpful will do. Then offer your services, as an on the side kinda thing. Do a good job, even in the little details. People are impressed at little things like attention to detail. Tell them about little details that you take care of, keep up a running commentary about what you are doing even if it is inane chatter peoples sub-conscious minds pick it up. People love to gossip, especially when they win out in the end. The world is a massive web, everyone is connected somehow someway, before to long you will find that said random housewife will talk about the nice guy that gave her a great deal and replaced her starter in her drive-way in the cold for so much less than what a shop would have charged her, and someone will hear and think to themselves hmm I wonder if he can do this? If nothing else Karma will win out in the end.  

Draconian Pheonix

freaxy
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:17 pm
my biggest problem is motivation and finding work I can actually do, mentally(anxiety) and physically(bad arm)  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:08 pm
I'm an Assistant Manager at Spencers in a mall, so i don't think i'm in danger of being laid off. I'm one of the lucky ones though. I get easily at least 5 people a day asking if we're hiring. It's gonna get tougher before it gets better, hopefully it won't be too long though.  

akageoffrey

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Venuslady

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:20 am
LOL I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.... my boss and I get along great, we fool around a lot, but get the work done, and I LIKE what I'm doing!
(BTW I work as a bookbinder - a rare artform....)  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm
Vengence of Areashine
. So the job has to be temporary, but also pay well because I need to pay off my student loans.

To top everything off, I live in Michigan, a state that has the highest unemployment rate of the United States. Maybe I should join the army....

Well, if you have to, you car always defer your loans for a year, and that will give you some time to find a job before you start paying. You can also opt to pay the interest monthly if you want to. Check with your lender.  

katana68

Partying Conventioneer

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:33 am
I've got a job, but I kind of exaggerated my qualifications to get it and now I'm in deep doo-doo. I was hoping to make it until July at least, which would match the six month burn out period most folks in the profession I seeped into (I'm an orderly at a mental hospital) are reported to have. I have a social science degree with some psych and a little less one-on-one patient experience than I told the interviewers.

See, this makes me real sad because my sister always exaggerates her qualifications to get jobs and then rises to the occasion. Of course, she's smarter and more sociable than me, but, still... I didn't exaggerate all that much.

PS. If you join the army, understand that the worst part isn't the horror of going to war and coming back with PTSD, the horror is the paperwork and the make-work you get stuck with back home... also the really weird hours.

And I instinctively distrust anyone who gets on great with any boss.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:40 am
Been looking already a year for a work that I went school for and its mentally kicking me on the head every day. I'm on a field where is too many people and too little places open. Advertising. Competition is very hard and harsh. My very high blood pressure has caused troubles at the past and left me a bit jumpy. xP

I've been working part time in different jobs meanwhile when I can and been unemployed most of the time. Not recommended to anyone. Yet I'm too proud to go to work on supermarket cash.

Graphic designers are always needed, but paradox is that we should know everything that even slightly touches marketing and making advertisements. Including photography (No prob.), using studio lights (No prob.), coding web pages (CSS will have to do), financial management (?) and customer luring (been there done that, hated it), filming ads (might happen), cutting and making it together and so on. Adding three or four fluent languages, capacity to react outside office times no matter what (do I have a choice?), round-a-clock days if someone else has busted timetables and... and... All this as extra to a job that is already including wide variety of skills and portions.

Every graphic designer becomes a cynical, bitter creature after year or two on the business. We just have to go with any whim of our bosses or customers, hate humanity along the road or lose our jobs.

Ugh. That was rant.  

Veddhartha

MrMuddyRebel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:18 am
i dont need a job yet but i work as a mechanic and i work off commision and business is so slow now i am only one paycheck away from being homeless and the business lease runs up in jan. i hope they renew it  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff