Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Geezerville ~ RP's
Advice on Role-Playing: An open contribution project Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:54 am
Rei Inaba
So... I've been taking the comic approach to canon in my parts and threads, pretty much not bringing up things that no longer fit my vision or bringing about events that would make those things no longer of much if any importance... is that bad?

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that any particular method of RPing is bad, especially not if it's a method that fits your style. However, it is always prudent to check out the sort of style an RP is before jumping in. That way, you can make sure that your style meshes well with the ongoing RP, or even if it's an RP that you want to get in on. Here in Geezerville though, I can't say that I've seen any one particular style. Everything here is so free form, that everyone uses their own preferred methods. So you using your comical approach doesn't stand out to me as being anything to worry about.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:36 am
As long as we can tell the difference between your actions and what you're saying, then it doesn't matter what style you use. As for not bringing up things from the past that no longer fit your vision, you can do that all you want, but don't expect us that remember back then not to bring it up.  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 pm
Hmm... to be perfectly honest my character is the embodiment of everything you can't do in real life. She has no job but money she either conjured up or got through shady means, an array of powers, the ability to absorb the abilities of others, and her most recently gained abilities make her like the Fairies of the Touhou Project series so she doesn't age and killing her only kills her current body which is quickly replaced. I have purposely kept her out of any situation that could be even slightly unflattering for her to keep with the spirit of presenting a character who represents awesomeness.

I'm not against depicting her losing or anything like that, but similar to how Netherrealm Studios modified all the finishing moves when used on Kratos in Mortal Kombat to keep with Sony's depiction of him being awesome (because Sony WOULD sue them if they depicted Kratos wrong), I would only depict my character losing in a 110% dignified manner, never an embarrassing one.

The hush word game at the Most Wanted means maintaining that portrayal costs me gold. rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:29 pm
In other words, you have an ego problem worse than mine that you try to justify by using examples of other people doing similar. You might want to do some introspect on that.  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:35 pm
ThisEmptySoul
In other words, you have an ego problem worse than mine that you try to justify by using examples of other people doing similar. You might want to do some introspect on that.
Ego problem? I'm just depicting one of those characters who just seems to drift along and never seems to have any serious problems in life because things always seem to work out one way or another.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:40 pm
Also, having to equip an "I am" pose is not demeaning, unflattering or any other kind of negative connotation. So really, your reasons behind not doing some things don't really hold up in all situations. neutral

((This probably could sound a lot better, but I'm so tired I'm doing good enough not having a bunch of "whatever"s to fill in as vocabulary. rofl sweatdrop stressed ))

damecharlie

Versatile Lunatic

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:43 pm
"Things always seem to work out" doesn't mean your character never gets in bad situations. It means that they can handle bad situations with dignity. If you were "carefree", you wouldn't have a fit over something potentially embarrassing because you honestly wouldn't care what other people might think of it. That's the definition of carefree: taking things with stride, not avoiding things because you feel like it might look bad and then making up excuses to cover your obvious ego problem.

You are not fooling anyone, except maybe yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:53 pm
I'm not sure I have any items with "I Am" poses.

And I have never been good at making characters who could handle tough situations by being clever rather than having the superpowers or special skills for just such an occasion. I grew up on superhero and "that one person who has just the tools or training" comics and shows and so all I'm really good at is throwing superpowers at problems. I really don't know how to present a dignified way of doing things without taking that route.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:59 pm
Then maybe you should practice if that's the kind of character you really want. It's kind of like people who are bad at drawing hands so they never draw them. You never learn and improve without practice.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:13 am
Hmm... an example from something I have planned. But the problem is I don't think I could implement it in an RP, hence why I adopted an avoidance policy.

I think in my own work I had it so that no matter how much my character is weakened to put her at the same power level of the people being focused on, she is at the very least an equal because I am not good at depicting people who are normal and have no special powers or super martial arts abilities.

If she is ever at a DISadvantage, she either loses or wins by using cheap and unfair tactics because she simply doesn't have that emergency long-term thinking or instinct that gets the big name heroes out of tight spots. But the worse she loses, the bigger and more spectacular her victory will be and the worse things will be for the person who defeated her.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

damecharlie

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 am
I'm pretty sure having to make some crackpot poetry about the MW ladies or serve them drinks or dress up as an "I am" pose for one day or suddenly get teleported out of the bar with underclothing in hand or having to write Flame an apologize for losing Icy or wearing stockings and heels/sending dame stockings or something blue or dress in orange, or post in edit me thread or kiss up to Katana is going to kill or weaken or whatever the crap else your character. The only one that is really demeaning, or two, really, is where you are subject to the Pin the Tail game or having to wear the crazyass bartender outfit to serve the ladies in. Either way it's all fun and games and the whole point is to have fun, not make a big honky deal about having to pay the consequence, hon. I mean, jeeze, lighten up and have some fun. Part of the whole fun of the game is doing ridiculous stuff that is normally out of character for your character with no rhyme or reason or justification or explanation nothing for your character doing it, except for Leko cursed the RN machine herself. twisted That's what makes it so funny, its unpredictability and ridiculousness. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:20 am
I don't know... something inside me... to be honest I'm more or less conditioned to depicting disadvantageous situations in such a way that the person who was defeated or had to things he or she did not want to do dishes out payback equal to how much of a disadvantage the person had to endure if not more so, to regain his or her lost honor. I'm used to that sort of thing.

I think that's why I take things so seriously. I can feel the virtual eyes of people...  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

damecharlie

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:43 am
The virtual eyes of all of us laughing together and having a good time? Man that must be terrible. rolleyes Man! Payback for having to wear orange? That is HORRIBLE! I'm shaking in my boots! What could be worse than writing poetry!?!? Or wearing heels and stockings?! OR GOD FORBID! surprised Posting in Edit me! OMG I THINK I WOULD DIE FROM SHAME!

. . .See where I'm going with this? -shakes head-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:22 am
Oh, I know what you were saying, I'm being too serious.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

damecharlie

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 am
Don't be a killjoy, love. Being a funsucker is just that....lacking in fun. 3nodding whee heart  
Geezerville ~ RP's

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff