Reply Advice Forum
Yummy vegetarian recipies?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kisaki Kitsune-Hi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:37 pm
Hi everybody! So yeah, I'm a vegetarian (eating meat makes my tummy hurt, didn't always, but does now) and I was wondering if anyone had some really good snacky recipies for holiday foods?

I'm the only vegetarian in my family, and I don't want my parents to feel the need to go out of their way to make my food special, so I want to prepare my own finger foods.

Does anybody have some really tasty snacks to fill my tummy for Christmas?

BTW, I'm not vegen so I consume dairy and eggs.

Thanks for advice or recipies!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:21 pm
You can always find great recipes on foodnetwork.com. And they are crazy for the holidays. I manage to find several recipes for you.

Eggnog Custard Pie
Peppermint Pinwheels
Cranberry French Toast

You can find more here . Though I don't know why there's ham there, but I check some of the recipes and for the most part they're OK. I hope this helps you out.  

-RenKairui85-

Taxi Mama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:15 pm
Snacks at our house are NEVER meat. Chex Mix (recipe off the box), fruitcake (from Corsicana), chocolate chip cookies (recipe off the bag), homemade apple or pecan pie, and loads of fresh fruit to keep all that stuff moving through you. Sometimes somebody makes deviled eggs, but we disagree on whether the relish should be sweet or sour.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:42 pm
pft... eggs aren't vegetarian talk2hand rofl

If you're just wanting snacks, that's not going to fill you very much {nor be very healthy... yes, vegetarians can get fat too. Ask my spouse sweatdrop }

If you're having a typical holiday feast, there isn't much different you need to eat. Mashed potatoes are still fine... you could volunteer to make
country gravy instead of having brown gravy, or even go as far as to make your own vegetarian brown gravy, but country gravy is a lot easier and less harsh on the stomach {onions and garlic can be hard on the system if you have too much}. And of course there's still the vegetables and bread. Pepperidge Farm also makes a couple of vegetarian stuffing mixes... my family always made that separate from the meat because putting it inside seemed disgusting.

For snacks, if you still eat eggs, then you're probably not limited at all. The problem a lot of vegetarians have with snack foods is eggs... meat is usually only a problem in entrees. The only snack on the top of my head that involves some kind of meat {besides the obvious beef jerky} is chex mix... and that's only when it's made with Worcestershire sauce {most Worcestershire sauce has anchovies}.

Pie might be a problem for you if your family uses Pillsbury's pre-made crusts since those use lard last I knew. I haven't really searched for a "safe" pre-made crust, but making your own isn't too difficult. I've used
this recipe before and it came out rather well... of course I also added sugar, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon because I think pie crust should be sweet sweatdrop ... my dad thought it was the best pie crust he had ever tasted.  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:38 pm
Every now and then, a simple vegetarian meal hits the spot for me. I make up a small batch of cavitappi pasta..

In a sautee pan, I added olive oil, sundried tomatoes, onions, colored peppers, artichokes, green/black olives, spinach.. and cook until aldente.... then at the end of cooking, I add drained garbanzo beans to heat them up. Add the pasta to the veggie/bean mix... OHHHHH and you cant forget the fresh garlic, italian seasoning, oregano and basil..... YUM!

I make a homemade garlic spread for garlic bread using the non-dairy "Smart Balance".. fresh garlic, powdered garlic, chives and parsley... mix together in the container, and VOILA, instant garlic spread to use whenever you need it. Spread on bread, toast in the oven...

I have a Dairy Allergy so improvising can be a challenge.. but Smart Balance really makes things easier to do... AND it tastes fantastic!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:06 am
Have you tried Biker Billy cooks with fire? it's an excellent vegetarian cook book.

I'm a fan of making soup out ofvegetable broth, potatoes, noodles, mushrooms, and whatever vegtables i happen to have. shitake really add flavour to the broth. I use onions, garlic, coriander, cumin, and ginger as a seasoning base.  

Artemesia_of_Persia

Ruthless Phantom

37,675 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items