Reply Advice Forum
new job offer....!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

4chaos69

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:00 am
well im about to finish my paramedic school, and now im getting an offer to go to the fire academy. 4 more months and a huge pay raise. but my wife is a bit nervous about the transition to that. so should i stay a medic, or go for the fire?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:42 am
I say go for it. You've already worked hard why not put that last bit into it. I mean you'll be getting so much more back. I can see why she's nervous ...i guess but she needs to think long term. And long term it would be best for both of you. I'm sorry i hate it when spouses can't support eachother. stressed  

dA fUnKy mOnKeY

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:43 pm
dA fUnKy mOnKeY
I say go for it. You've already worked hard why not put that last bit into it. I mean you'll be getting so much more back. I can see why she's nervous ...i guess but she needs to think long term. And long term it would be best for both of you. I'm sorry i hate it when spouses can't support eachother. stressed

I dont think its a matter of NOT supporting you, I think the fact that going into this type of field would genuinely scare anyone... Its not the long term issue, its the will-my-spouse-die-while-fighting-a-fire issue.

Personally, I think its great that you keep communication open with your spouse.. honesty gets you alot further than withholding the info...

I say GO for it... makes you more employable, better wages, benefits are MUCH better too... Our EMTs here in New Hampshire make CRAP for money for what they do for a living if you ask me.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:37 pm
well thanks and i agree, though i do try and keep an open dialogue with her. i mean before i met her i was in the army so... cant be to much more dangerous right. but like you both said, im looking at the long hall here. its a great opportunity that i just dont want to pass by.  

4chaos69

4chaos69

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:52 pm
anyone else have any insight, i could use the input.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:49 pm
Your spouse DOES understand that being a paramedic is ALSO fraught with risk, right?

My only concern would be that firefighter culture is more macho than emt culture. Of course, I live in Colorado Springs, which is not a good place to do anything, but the EMTs I've met are a lot easier to get along with than those damn firefighters.

(They still make you do dishes naked with a ball clenched in your butt here for minor infractions... or mishandling the hose.)

Er... not that I don't respect the job they do, I just prefer to deal with paramedics.  

Harbone
Crew

4chaos69

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:05 pm
haha point taken, but hazing is part of the job too i suppose. but all the fire fighters ive meet and worked with are pretty decent. and i would be a paramedic fire fighter. ride in one of those little square fire trucks, and mostly ride with none advanced life support ambulances, that have only EMTs.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:20 am
My father was a volunteer fire fighter, and my stepmother would worry every time he was called to fight a fire. I would worry too, but I knew, somehow, that he'd be safe because he was protecting others. I remember pondering how he came home every night, tired, and yet able to still support his family.

In any case, enough of my memories. For you, I say go with what you feel would help you and your spouse. Consider that there's a higher pay for a reason. Like Alexandretta said, communication is indeed key. Good luck!  

Patron with a Mission

4chaos69

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:01 pm
thank you all, and i understand all your points. i know there is a greater risk for this. but im damn good a what i do. she knows this too, plus what a better job then to save lives. theres no better feeling in the world to me. she is coming around to the idea. any other comments are welcome too though. thanks again all. smile  
Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games