Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Feeling Bad when people think you are new to Gaia Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SeanBrig05

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:32 pm
Many people think I am new to Gaia because I don't like to use Internet slang. Sometimes, they get mean crying Well, anyway, what does everybody else think?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:19 pm
What's Internet Slang?  

Draconian Pheonix

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:31 pm
1 example of Internet slang is when u talk lyk this instead of spelling out ur words.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:33 pm
There's also acronyms like ttyl (talk to you later) and brb (be right back), or shortenings like "prbly" (probably) and "ttly" (totally).

All in all, internet slang is bad English originating from chat rooms where you have to be a fast typer.  

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Corbin Noir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:39 pm
I say most of the acronyms (rofl, fwiw, brb, etc) and I've been on the internet since 96 (and before that, bbses).

People can think whatever they like. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:19 am
It's the kids that think they invented it all. Short span, no race memory. wink

Internet talk does sound terrible. I have been asked in cards room to be less literate, despite my previous note 'Sorry, but this is how I talk. I'm an adult.'

I think it's funny how kids try to teach me how to RP at chats when or if I comment anything like 'Use dashes also at the beginning of your sentence'. I've been doing that for ten years and from the start I was better at it. And then they are hurt when I tell them how its done better.  

Veddhartha

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:51 am
Internet slang is Texting. I must admit to doing it myself at times. In fact, I have a Text Messaging Glossary poster (aka my cheat-sheet) hanging on the wall behind my computer! redface  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 am
Uugh. I hate chatspeak. Well, okay, I don't hate all of it. I mean, I'll occasionally use lol/omg/wtf/etc. But replacing actual words for single letters or numbers? Drives me up the damn wall and makes me wish they still taught typing lessons in schools.

(Hilariously enough, when I was in 4th grade being taught aforementioned typing skills, I remember wondering why I would ever need to know such a thing)  

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

Draconian Pheonix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:02 am
Corbin Noir
I say most of the acronyms (rofl, fwiw, brb, etc) and I've been on the internet since 96 (and before that, bbses).

I can see how with BBS' bandwidth might have been a problem, but otherwise it just seems an excuse to be lazy. I think it's funny, I've been told in passing not to speak spanish as "in this country we speak English" yet it seems young people aren't particularly satisfied with that language either. Next thing you know we'll be back to hieroglyphics to convey meaning.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:52 am
Yay! Finally people who think like me. I cannot stand most slang. I refuse to use it, most times. I do catch myself doing it, but I try to sound somewhat intelligent when I type and speak. I encourage my daughter to do the same, and she catches some slack for it. I believe that people have become lazy and don't want to learn. Every year there is a new word added to dictionaries that make no sense, but it have an official meaning now neutral I was taught by my grandmother, with the use of a yardstick, to speak properly. Admittedly, I don't always do so. As for text speak, I am used to it from the early AOL days and when Prodigy was around... we used it in BBS conversations, too. Ahhh the good old days!  

BlackCatt73

Dangerous Shapeshifter

8,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Corbin Noir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:20 pm
Karill

(Hilariously enough, when I was in 4th grade being taught aforementioned typing skills, I remember wondering why I would ever need to know such a thing)
I learned typing in vocational school, and once I realised I'm never working in an office I thought that it would be something I'd end up forgetting. I'm constantly amazed at how much I have wound up using it (and with my wpm being in the 60s I wish I could find my old business teacher who thought I was a slacker in class)

Draconian Pheonix
Corbin Noir

I can see how with BBS' bandwidth might have been a problem, but otherwise it just seems an excuse to be lazy.
What you call lazy, I call efficient. It's a matter of time -and not wanting to waste it without any reason.

There's no reason to type "laughing out loud" when you're typing in real time (eg in chat -which we had on BBSes and where I started using acronyms).

If you use acronyms, etc when you're roleplaying or engaging in any other sort of writing where you're not holding someone up by typing out thirty letters instead of three then that is a sign of laziness or a sign of being uneducated.

Different things are appropriate in different circumstances -this isn't a one size fits all world.

Also, I make a distinction between using acronyms and just randomly dropping letters out of normal words (eg "o rly") -just dropping letters is a sign of laziness (or stupidity). sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:32 pm
Oh I hate texting. It gets on my nerves so bad that I yell at my roommates to stop typing on their cell phones and to have a real conversation. I guess that shows my age. Sometimes I do wish I had a Text Messaging Glossary poster (cheat sheet) to understand some of the things people are chatting about. It took my a while to learn what 'rofl' meant.  

rocksteadyandbebop

Draconian Pheonix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:55 pm
BlackCatt73
Yay! Finally people who think like me. I cannot stand most slang. I refuse to use it, most times. I do catch myself doing it, but I try to sound somewhat intelligent when I type and speak. I encourage my daughter to do the same, and she catches some slack for it. I believe that people have become lazy and don't want to learn. Every year there is a new word added to dictionaries that make no sense, but it have an official meaning now neutral I was taught by my grandmother, with the use of a yardstick, to speak properly. Admittedly, I don't always do so. As for text speak, I am used to it from the early AOL days and when Prodigy was around... we used it in BBS conversations, too. Ahhh the good old days!

With my mom it was either the wooden Spoon for stirring spaghetti sauce or flying shoes, I swear that woman could bend a shoe around corners somehow.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:22 am
Corbin Noir
There's no reason to type "laughing out loud" when you're typing in real time (eg in chat -which we had on BBSes and where I started using acronyms).

If you use acronyms, etc when you're roleplaying or engaging in any other sort of writing where you're not holding someone up by typing out thirty letters instead of three then that is a sign of laziness or a sign of being uneducated.

Different things are appropriate in different circumstances -this isn't a one size fits all world.

Also, I make a distinction between using acronyms and just randomly dropping letters out of normal words (eg "o rly") -just dropping letters is a sign of laziness (or stupidity). sweatdrop

When is anyone Actually laughing out loud when they type "lol"? I think "lawl" or any of it's variations is just as stupid.

Personally, I type the way that I talk. If something actually makes me giggle or laugh I type "haha" or "hehe" depending on how it makes me feel. The amount of ha/he's is equivalent to how funny it was. If I use caps with many ha's, then I am probably actually Laughing.

Chat/Text speak is pointless in a forum.  

mizducky

Lucky Lass 38

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:03 am
SeanBrig05
Many people think I am new to Gaia because I don't like to use Internet slang. Sometimes, they get mean crying Well, anyway, what does everybody else think?

Just ignore them. Everyone was new to Gaia at one time! Enjoy the site and don't let their rudeness spoil your fun!  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff