Submit

Serious
Conversation?
100%
 100%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 13

Tendrhrted

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:50 pm
So, our basement flooded due to rain/melted snow... and... it seems to be coming in just as fast as it's going out. We don't live in a flood zone. My baby's father is always saying "that's what those people get for living in a flood zone." Do you think people in the areas even think about that when they move into a new home? What do people consider when they're moving somewhere new?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:40 am
Here in New Hampshire, we have many people who have been flooded out of their homes so bad, that, because they DONT reside close to a water source, they couldnt get flood insurance. What is WORSE than that? The fact that we had so many flooded out, in non-flood zones that FEMA said they wouldnt help them.

When it comes to mother nature, all levels of insurance should be made available. I know it is a constant battle for us folks who live in New Hampshire. My parents' house was flooded last summer during our severe flood-alerts and the nearest source of water for them is actually 5 miles away!

Acts of nature can only be controlled so much. You can think you are prepared for the worse, but you will never truly know until 'it' happens.

I just hope that any and all who are affected by mother nature-related damages can get some sort of help so you wont have to see your home sacrificed!!  

Wixandrettas

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:07 pm
Most people will tell you what they consider is location, schools, and value.

I have yet to go buy a house and such, but I've been told insurance is usually the buyer's responsibility to see if they are covered, and if not, to get covered.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:40 pm
As much money as a house costs, why would you NOT think about such things?

I agree with Alexandretta:
Alexandretta
Acts of nature can only be controlled so much. You can think you are prepared for the worse, but you will never truly know until 'it' happens.

You can never truly know, but you can still think ahead and prepare as best you can. This includes checking out about (before you buy) flood zones, landslide potential, proximity of volcanos, etc. and, of course, airports!  

Amarella Harte

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:51 pm
I live in Fargo, ND. We've been sandbagging around the clock for about five days now. Colleges and high schools have cancelled - employers are sending their workforce to help sandbag. The police are switching traffic signals to get the bags to places faster.

Did everyone think about this before buying their houses? Yes, yes they did. It's not just a matter of that - the CITY thought about it when they decided not to build a permanent diversion to keep this from happening again (1997 we had major flooding. This year is going to be worse).

Do we deserve it because we live on a 500 year flood plain? Doubt it. The best thing to do is now that you know you can have water problems - do everything you can to prevent it.

Also - homeowners/renters insurance does not cover flood damage.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:12 am
The sad thing is, even though we may want to avoid things like that, we can't always do so. Due to overcrowding and massive population boosts, there really is no such thing as prime real estate anymore. Humans are forced to live wherever there is room and hope for the best. But, then again, that's the way life is. Living is a gamble, a terminal illness. When it comes to outsmarting Mother Nature, it's just one more roll of the dice.  

~sky king Ikki~

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:55 pm
Well, we're actually having a record breaking flood here. There's a possibility the entire city is going to have to be evacuated. So even the houses that were supposed to be unfloodable are probably going to flood.

It will be interesting to see what this flood does to the desirable portion of town - as those are the parts that have already been evacuated two days ago. Will they rebuild? Probably.  
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games