Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
The Happening

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Happening...
  Totally rocked!
  Sucked beyond all belief.
  Sorry, never seen it.
  I neither liked it or disliked it. (It was okay)
View Results

LadyRaven2008

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:12 am
The Happening was unbelievably disappointing. I love other M. Night Shyamalan films but this one just sucked. It's supposedly a horror movie but really, not that terrifying.

For those who don't know, it's about plants that release neurotoxins that poison humans (but not animals) and cause them to commit suicide. There is no reason stated in the movie as to why these plants do this, why it is only in the northeast United States (New York City goes down first), and why it *spoiler* so abruptly stopped in the end.

The abrupt stop meant that Zooey Deschanel and Mark Wahlberg somehow manage to survive. It basically makes no sense whatsoever. I know of M. Night Shyamalan movies begin not making sense like Lady in the Water and the Sixth Sense but throughout the movie explain what is happening and why. The Happening does not.

It has made several top worst movie lists and I have to agree.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:33 pm
I agree, it was really disappointing. I loved the idea of the movie, but the film as it was put together was almost terrible. There were several instances where you could see a mic at the top of the screen and other crap like that, the story ended WAY too abruptly, it didn't flow very well, the characters were bland...it was just really poorly put together, like Shyamalan thinks he doesn't have to try anymore or something. confused

Also, the story didn't really make sense in that the plants "caused" people to commit suicide. Ok, I get that they can release an inhibitor, but to actually CAUSE you to commit suicide? That doesn't make sense.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:14 pm
I actually enjoyed this movie, which makes me one of only two people in the entire world who probably do, the other being Roger Ebert. I think for a Shyamalan film, it's a decent attempt at film making. Sure, it's not perfect, but in a summer full of big action blockbusters, The Happening is a quiet, thoughtful meditation on the environment. We tend to use the movie's realism as a qualitative analysis, but we also tend to forget that not all movies strive for realism. I think Shymalan was striving more for an amalgamation of expressive and narrative forms. For a movie like this, the narrative is not the most important aspect, but rather, it is the message. This film probably would have worked better under different hands, but you have to give it to Shymalan for not giving us his trademark twist ending. He's maturing as a film maker, and I believe that this imperfect movie is a sign that he might be able to return to this roots.

So, basically, as a form of narrative fiction, the film fails; it's poorly put together, poorly directed, and poorly acted (though, I have a soft spot for Zooey Deschanel). But as a form of expressive film making, it quietly succeeds. The landscape is gorgeous to look at, and the images of the suicidal are haunting and eerie.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:20 pm
yea i also think it was disappointing.it looked good on the preview but when i watched it it wasnt what i expected it to be  

shmeather

i_Wish10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:27 pm
I just joined biggrin , anyway

You're right, the movie plot was a great idea. The problem was that they needed more background on what was causing the suicides. Like I don't think it's a very good idea to start the suicides for this kind of movie (movies like this, you have to keep the people on the edge) so early in the beginning.

Plus, it was either the actors or the actor's lines that were given to them. They didn't seem too convincing, that something major was happening. I mean I could barely tell when they were joking.

I think it could have been told like something like "The Independence Day", like it makes the people from all over the world come together ya know (in the movie)?

Overall, (to the ppl who haven't seen it yet) watch it, but don't give your hopes up. I give it a 3/5!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:58 am
I haven't seen it, but everything I've heard has urged me to stay away. It didn't help that each M. Night movie since Signs has been more disappointing to me than the last.  

evan_McB

sankapoo

8,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:08 pm
Homg the Happening, Talk about a complete waste of money. mad
Not Scary at all, the acting was atrocious, the script was terrible &&&& Yeah. Just.

Gerr.  
Disappointing Movies

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff