Reply Serious Conversations
My family's 2009 initiative

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rua-Lilta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:31 am
Our one resolution for the new year is to prepare for the apocalypse. Go ahead and snort. I'm not saying the zombi virus is going to start spreading, or even that the end of the world is nigh. But have you noticed what a prominent theme it's becoming in our culture and media? Every other movie goes on that premise, and chicken littles are everywhere in our news. And I'm not ready if drastic were to happen. What's worse, I have every reason to be. I have a two year old daughter to protect and look out for, and a good circle of family and friends. I figure even if nothing ever does happen, being prepared, healthy, and secure will be a good place for my family to be. So we've started mapping out contingency plans, stocking emergency kits and storing them in their relevant places, working on updating ids like passports, eating better, and getting back on our workouts. I personally have always dabbled in martial arts and I'm picking that back up as well.

Am I alone here? Does anyone else think this is reasonable, or just absurd. I don't want to be one of those crazies that runs to the woods in a dugout for y2k. Just ready, you know?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:58 am
Well, it's always good to be prepared, but I really don't think it's quite the end of the world, yet. We've had wars that seemed like the end in past generations, but people still got through them.

I would be more worried about 2012 when the Mayans prophesied that the end of the world would come about, and they were much more advanced when it came to astronomy than anyone back in the day.

Just be sure to have a good family unit that is open and honest with each other and gather more information before hunkering down in a bunker. ^_^  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

lady leko-chan

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:42 pm
I'd encourage you to keep an open mind on the matter. The things you are doing don't sound to be too drastic, so that is good. Eating better, working out etc. are good practices for a longer life naturally - I'd suggest focusing more on what will improve and sustain a good quality of life for you right here right now and then I think you might find you are more prepared for the unexpected.

You don't want to overly worry of freak out your kids about the end of the world though - I think it's great to let your kids in on your beliefs but remember they are children and understand things differently. For example I have a friend who's sister was heavily focused the rapture and one day her son got out of bed and no one was at home (They made a quick stop to walgreens, thought they'd be back before he got up) and he assumed he was left behind and became extremely emotional thinking was now alone on the earth. Luckly he called my friend who assured him that everything was fine and no one was raptured away and his mom would probably be home soon.

So it is a good thing to be prepared and aware but, just don't over do it.
^_~  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:50 am
my spouse and I stocked up on a few things... more so for the event of an economic crisis which seems more likely. We've been using the stuff for meals as time goes by and just restocking if something seems low so we don't just have a bunch of food sitting around and going bad.

If you're going to stock up on food, it's good to get things that you would normally use and not MREs, unless you plan on feeding your family MREs for regular meals, otherwise, it could be a waste of money. If you get things that you would normally use, then in the event nothing happens, you just have a stock full of supplies that you'll eventually use up. You just won't have to buy groceries for a while.

As for the "end of the world" theme in the media... it's -always- a prominent theme. Everyone loves a good "end of the world" story. The only reason that comes to mind of why there might be more is because of the 2012 "prediction". A lot of theories are out there about it and it all originates from the Mayan calender. However, the Mayans did not predict the end of the world being 2012... that's just the last year on their calender. How many more years in advanced were they expected to plot out? sweatdrop The calender ending there could actually have very little significance and it's being blown out of proportion just like y2k.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:19 am
True enough about the Mayan calander, but what are MREs?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:12 am
...Okay, yeah, it's a little bit wackadoo. However, there are natural disasters and civil revolutions/coups that do occur from time to time, and when they do, the wackadoos start to look pretty smart. But if you're going to prepare for something that (hopefully) won't happen, prepare in the most intelligent way possible.

1. Stock food items that will remain usable for at least two years, and then make sure you use and replace in a rotation, so that those items don't go bad waiting for an apocalypse. Check expiration dates on a monthly basis. Also remember that if you don't like a certain food, having tons of that food in an already stressful situation will make it worse, so stock foods you know you'll enjoy. Stock a wide variety, as well, and make sure that a lot of it is calorie-rich food. MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) are fun to take camping, but they're not really great for long-term eating. Plus, you then have packaging to throw away. It's better to buy staples in bulk, then go through them and get new supplies.

2. What is valid for food is also valid for medicines. They expire, too, so be sure you don't just buy bottles of painkillers and then leave them there for ten years. They could lose efficacy, or worse, undergo chemical reaction that, over time, could render them not just useless, but actually harmful as well.

3. Plant vegetables, fruits, and herbs in a garden. Canned goods and dry stock foods will get really old, really fast, if you don't have fresh items to eat. Also, the canned items probably won't have all the nutrients you need. Having a food source right in your own yard will not just save money (both in crisis times and right now, in fact), but will ensure that you have access to food that doesn't depend on a delivery truck getting all the way across the region, and you being able to get to the store and back without being harassed. Better yet, see if you can grow things that will ripen at different times of the year, so that you've always got one crop that's fresh. Learn canning techniques, drying techniques, and so on, so that you can preserve things out of season and keep eating your produce all year long.

4. Get certified in first aid, CPR, and other emergency medical services. Doctors, nurses, EMTs, and other first-responders will be highly valued. Martial arts are good for anyone to learn, of course, but once there's been some kung fu fighting in the streets, the participants are going to have bruises, bleeding, broken bones... they're going to need someone who knows what painkillers to give and how to set those bones so they don't grow back at funky angles. This is good advice anyway, since you have a daughter and she will doubtless get into some scrap or accident at some point, and you may be the closest and most logical person to render assistance.

5. Learn the more common signs of the more common illnesses or reactions. Diabetics have bad reactions from too much sugar, too little sugar, too much or too little insulin -- learn the difference. Learn what to do for an epileptic having a seizure, someone with a heart attack or stroke in progress, anaphylactic shock from bee stings or ingestion of allergens like nuts, fish, eggs, wheat, dairy. Learn to recognize and respond to common things.

6. If you get very enthused about this, see about installing solar panels, windmills, and/or a watermill (obviously this will only work if you live by a river). These will be expensive to start with, but they'll save you a fair bit -- maybe even all of your electricity bill -- and let you keep using electricity even if, God forbid, someone bombs or disables your local electric company.

7. If you get even more involved, see a surveyor about locating a water source on your property, and get a well dug. Alternatively, put a couple of cisterns and filters on your property to catch and filter rainwater, making it usable for your family.

8. Look into composting toilets. Also think seriously about creating a compost heap or bucket for your property. Compost is great for adding nutrients to soil, which will help your vegetables grow nice and plump and juicy.

9. Electricity isn't the only type of power you may need. Look into natural gas, propane, and other sources of power. Find ways to store and recharge batteries. Look for clean-burning fuels. Get a good stock of candles, firestarters, and so on. A woodpile wouldn't hurt, either.

10. Take a drive and physically locate your local landfills, recycling centers, and so on. If there's a civil war or revolution going on, your garbage collectors aren't going to keep going on with business as usual, so you'll have to get rid of your own trash. In order to minimize this as a problem, though, learn to compost vegetable matter; make animal food out of meat and dairy scraps; find ways to re-use glass, plastic, wood, and metal rather than throwing them out (re-use is even more efficient and environmentally friendly that recycling!).

11. If you have any weapons at all, make sure that you can own, store, and/or carry them legally. Keep your permits up to date. Then make sure everyone in the household knows where they are, how to use and clean them, and how/when/why not to use them.

12. When you buy clothing, make sure that most of it is in neutral colors. If it gets so very bad that it's dangerous to walk out into the street, you don't want to draw attention to yourself. If there's a civil war or gang war, and the factions distinguish themselves by color, you don't want to be wearing the "wrong" color and become the target of violence.

13. Learn to make your own soaps, detergents, clothing/fabrics... Learn everything you can, really, about how people lived before we became dependent on the water and electric/gas grids and modern technology. The Amish are going to do fine if things fall apart, so learn what they know.

14. It never hurts to have a ready source of information. Looking things up online is a great idea... but if the internet suddenly disappears, what will you do? Print out the information you find handy, and file it in a very organized way, so that people can look up exactly what they need. Make multiple copies to store in your home and any other bolt-holes you have, as well as a small emergency-information file to keep in your car(s).

15. There's a difference between being prepared and being paranoid. Do small things, little by little. When learning and teaching survival skills, make it a hobby: "Let's go camping! Let's spend the summer living off the land! Let's plant some tomatoes!" Your daughter, especially, will be nervous if you make it seem like all of this is very urgent and that life depends on it, but if you make it sound like just a fun thing, she'll think of it as a cool thing she gets to do with daddy. If you go as far as installing solar panels and windmills and water cisterns, address it in terms of environmentalism, not survival, or she could grow up into a very fearful person instead of a happy-but-prepared person.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Miss Abigal of Lenox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:19 am
I think you are being very wise in what you're doing and I agree that you should not be doing things that would make your daughter afraid. I'm a Christian and if you read the Bible you'll know that all the signs that were mentioned in the Bible are coming true, wars upon wars, disasters, plagues, famine, but it also tells us not to be afraid that when we see these things happening, the end is near. To me, the best things you can do is get to know the Lord, He's the only thing we need in these times. God Bless  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I am 24 and helped my sister raise her oldest daughter since I was 12, now I am helping her with her one month old as well. I think when people realize they have something else to live for other than themselves, they put forth every effort and energy into trying to better themselves for that sake.

If anything, I believe people should live life to the fullest no matter what because you never know what will happen tomorrow. One day you're here, the next you're 6 feet under.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."
~Anonymous

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.[ No, you can't use my tribal images. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lady_Threnody

Intellectual Lunatic

10,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Shuyajin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:23 am
Lady_Threnody
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I am 24 and helped my sister raise her oldest daughter since I was 12, now I am helping her with her one month old as well. I think when people realize they have something else to live for other than themselves, they put forth every effort and energy into trying to better themselves for that sake.

If anything, I believe people should live life to the fullest no matter what because you never know what will happen tomorrow. One day you're here, the next you're 6 feet under.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."
~Anonymous

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.[ No, you can't use my tribal images. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

People get too attached to life and forget that life is more like death. Rather death is more closer to life, or so it is in todays' world. I mean, how often do you really feel alive? In a moment? In a day? Ever?

It's a-widely known fact(does that work for a negative statement?) that life is a cycle, but which side of that cycle are you really on while reading this? Can you say you are in conscious awareness of what life really means in these bodies? Or death for that matter?

I'm just saying, people take things too seriously. Just lighten up, relax, go with the flow, and enjoy yourselves. Otherwise Heath Ledger as the Joker may just haunt your dreams. rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:47 am
mre's are meals ready to eat. theyre basically military rations that if you dont mind the kinda card board taste are pretty good. i used to use em when my wife and i would go camping.

as for being prepared? I used to be into scouting, so yeah. I've got what my wife calls an, "oh sh** kit. It's pretty much enough food and essentials set to one side if anything should happen. sweatdrop enough to survive 3-7ish days is whats been set to the side.

on a lighter note, some friends of mine and i know where to run for the zombie invasion rolleyes  

Chris_Ffolger

Khymarea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:16 am
Not really, though my mother has. I've been thinking about such things more and more, though I just thought I was getting paranoid.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:16 pm
the bible also says that the signs of the end would not be known to man. and blah blah blah. so it describes some things and it also says that no one will know. so prepare.

Honestly people have been predicting the end of the world since. October 22, 1844 with the Millerites. Of course, The world didn't end. So after that they predicted another date. Which of course failed. Then they gave up trying to say omg the world ends tomorrow.

In short: The world just doesn't end because a large amount of people think & want it to end.

I think being prepared for this new next "scare" is fine biggrin I honestly feel that people might get a bit rowdy and especially being drunk on new year's that there could be looting and riots. but really, it's not like there's going to be a sudden "oh no it's 12:01 in 2013 and look everything is blowing up" i think that if the world would end, it's going to take several hours to days or so on. xD

Soo stock up because I know people will be rushing in the winter months like the grasshopper who chose not work as hard as the ant? i think that's how the fable goes. anyhow biggrin stock up before it's too late and just expect people to act crazy. biggrin  

Koichi Wing

Moonlight Lover

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items