Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Advice Forum
A Geezer who could use some legal advice...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

QuestionableMeatProducts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:04 am
Ok, so I'm getting divorced. "ex-wife" hasn't been online in forever, so I was using internet to rant and vent. As anyone needs to when they've been hurt/cheated on/destroyed.

Well, I made the mistake of doing it in the GD. So when she got internet access again, she stalked my old posts and found some of the things that had been said..

Now she's threatening legal action. For Slander. Now, I know she's said things about me, just not online. Is there a way to fight this, or have I cooked my own goose?

It's odd... She's never been one to threaten with legal crap before. She used to think that people that resorted to frivelous lawsuits were just weak-willied individuals. *shrug*

Anyway... Any legal advice would be appreciated...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:52 am
Do you specifically use her name or screen name? I think that would make a difference as to if she has a case against you or not.

Have you tried apologizing? The things you said may be true and they may have been needed to be said, but maybe she is hurt, and the only way to make herself feel better to to threaten you. Apologizing and explaining the situation may make the difference from money being lost and just a misunderstanding.

I hope that helps, not not so good in the legal field, so try to n** it before it gets there.  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

QuestionableMeatProducts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:30 pm
Vengence of Areashine
Do you specifically use her name or screen name? I think that would make a difference as to if she has a case against you or not.

Have you tried apologizing? The things you said may be true and they may have been needed to be said, but maybe she is hurt, and the only way to make herself feel better to to threaten you. Apologizing and explaining the situation may make the difference from money being lost and just a misunderstanding.

I hope that helps, not not so good in the legal field, so try to n** it before it gets there.

I never used her name, real or net-based, so... I've been told that She has no real case against me. *shrug*  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:16 am
Yeah, I really didn't think that she had a case unless you used her name specifically.  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 pm
Yamato1
Ok, so I'm getting divorced. "ex-wife" hasn't been online in forever, so I was using internet to rant and vent. As anyone needs to when they've been hurt/cheated on/destroyed.

Well, I made the mistake of doing it in the GD. So when she got internet access again, she stalked my old posts and found some of the things that had been said..

Now she's threatening legal action. For Slander. Now, I know she's said things about me, just not online. Is there a way to fight this, or have I cooked my own goose?

It's odd... She's never been one to threaten with legal crap before. She used to think that people that resorted to frivelous lawsuits were just weak-willied individuals. *shrug*

Anyway... Any legal advice would be appreciated...

-ponders-

Considering you never used her name, there isn't much she can do, for you could be talking about anyone. The laws about things posted online, as we all know, are not very much to speak of, for there are too many possiblities on it.

Don't worry too much, but it seems to me she is bitter. Maybe you should talk to her, especially if she once considered lawsuits frivolous, and now she's threatening you, that might indicate that she's having issues, or refer her to a counselor, if you can.

Something tells me she's more mad about the divorce itself rather than that you posted it online. You might also want to remove the posts, if you feel so inclined.

I haven't much relationship experience; I'm just saying what comes to me.

Good luck with this.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:02 pm
I would also recommend finding some people in your area to talk to face-to-face. I've found in the 18 months my divorce took that venting online just isn't the same as having someone there on the phone or in person to talk to. Or take you out for ice cream. 3nodding

People change when you divorce them. They do things that you never, ever would have imagined that they'd do. If it's one thing I wish I would have listened to at the start of my divorce - it was that. I thought I knew better and ended up getting majorly screwed.

Good luck! 3nodding  

Shinigami Unity

Cavix Darkstone

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:39 am
If ANYTHING bad was to happen, it would be something that went against the Terms Of Service.  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:10 am
First of NO she doesn't have a case. By not using her name (real or otherwise) she has incurred no damages. Slander is when you defame someone's character by saying things that are knowingly false. The falsehoods that were presented then cause damage to the victim either by ruining his/her professional and/or personal reputation and as a result of this the person has been adversley affected. It can be with the loss of a job, the loss of crediability or the loss of a relationship.
You have nothing to worry about. Since no one knows her real name or nick-name no one knows who you are talking about. It doesn't matter you and her know because the rest of us don't.  

Sweet_lil_tomboy

Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff