A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Are You a Protector? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would You Defend or Correct Younger Gaians ?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Depends on the Situation
66%
 66%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 39

CORNSiLKDreamer

8,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:18 am
I'm just curious here, so please nobody judge.

Being an older Gaian, do you ever feel an urge to step in when you see kids posting rude comments directed at other members?
Not policing the forums, but just makign a passing remark as needed?

I'm definitely the type to respond and let the kid know "Excuse me, but that was uncalled for"
Maybe it's culture clash, but I would never have spoken rudely to anyone at that age. I developed some attitude during highschool because it was such a miserable experience and that was my coping mechanism, but even then, I got quiet and withdrawn rather than saying anything out of line.

I don't know, maybe I'm the odd one out. But I would be interested in hearing anyone's opinion on the matter.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:23 am
i feel the same as you thats why i avoid all the other forums except this one and the over 30 guild heart  

angelplustwo

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 am
Depends on the situation. If two people are arguing, I'm not going to jump into the middle of it with a comment. But if it's just randomly rude, I'll say something about it. Although, I spend almost all my time in my guilds so I don't run across anything like that all that often.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:43 am
Okay, for the sake of an example, the situation that prompted this went like this:

Member A Posts in the wrong forum, asking for art.
Member B replies, stating that this is the wrong forum, then goes on to add "Get out of our forum!"

In this case, the offending post was very mild, but I would still like to know how people here would have reacted, if at all.
I'm just sensitive smile  

CORNSiLKDreamer

8,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100

Venuslady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:44 pm
Yeah, a lot of times if I see 2 people sniping at each other I tell 'em to chill....  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:50 pm
Like Vengence, I rarely leave my guilds. When it does happen in a guild, it's usually a matter of which member notices first. Whether it be me or someone else, somebody always says something - similar to 'chill' that is.  

Amarella Harte

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:08 pm
I stick mostly to the guilds these days as well ~ the forums are out of control. Used to be when someone posted in the wrong forum (i.e. Exchange) the regular exchangers would gently point them in the right direction ~ usually with a link included ~ commerce is commerce after all and bump threads are especially annoying when you're trying to sell something... but now the responders are rude and hostile... so I avoid the forums...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:12 pm
If someone is being rude or mean to someone else, I'll usually say something. I too use to be withdrawn and quiet and still am to an extent, but I hate injustice and just plain rude people. Treat others as you would want to be treated. That's what I was taught. I wish younger kids today would think before they say something to someone else. sweatdrop  

JupieStarPower6

Catira Norr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:15 pm
I used to say something like...give them a break Poster B, we were all new once, Poster A, ignore the idiots! But as Lil' Brat says, the forums seem to be out of control these days. I very rarely wander past the comfort of my nice cozy Geezer's guild these days.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:16 pm
I've done that a few times. I dislike unneccessary hatred and rudeness. And sadly, it happens a lot. I especially dislike seeing it in the QnA forum and the Life Issues forum. Places that people come to for help.

*shrug*  

QuestionableMeatProducts

jessies_angel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:37 pm
bump  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:58 am
Most of the topics in GD are just awful. On occasion, I will make a comment or post the rolling of the eyes emoticon. I have reported a couple of topics with pics that I thought really offensive and uncalled for to the mods as well. Most of the time though, I stay here in the comfort of being with other geezers. 3nodding  

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:43 pm
Actually, a lot of my job in real life is addressing and redirecting that kind of behavior. Also, I have some personal experience that makes it painful for me to witness outright attacks on others.

The tough part is that responsibility for our actions comes only through a slow and steady process. Also, the definition of rude can vary considerably from individual to individual, so you kind of have to pick and choose your fights.

For me, I usually step in if one of these issues are at stake:

- Someone attacking someone else for being a N00b. Learning is important to me and you have to start somewhere. Calling someone a N00b is as bad as saying "Don't Ask Questions." I feel you should always ask.

- Sexual Harrassment. I feel very strongly about this, mostly because, yes, I'm not very pretty in real life and if I ever said some of the stuff people say on here, I'd get canned, sued and maybe even jailed. I kind of think of stepping in to stop male chauvinist, female borderline or just plain grossly inappropriate sexual conduct as a way of levelling the playing field.

- Elitism. I just... really hate people who either want to hog everything for themselves ('cause they saw it first) or who use some media concept, ideal or social trend to put on airs. I mean, really! Grrrrr! That cheeses me off and it's hard NOT to say something.

In all these cases, I try to say something constructive, if I can... but if I post too fast, I'm afraid it will be as negative as if I'd been the original aggressor.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:03 pm
I do tend to stick in my Guilds now, which are nice places... but sure, if I see a kid acting in a bad way I do sometimes put them right. I think that's the Geezer in me!  

September Wolf

Wintry Dragon

21,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100

BlackCatt73

Dangerous Shapeshifter

8,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:35 pm
Every since I started playing in here, I figured the regular forums were just too much for me. I get annoyed to easily with the way some post in them, so I avoid it for my sake and theirs biggrin I figure, if I am there, and I see it, I will say too much. But, like was said earlier, they are way out of control and have so many negative posts. Heck, I got a rude comment on my avi, just because it looked like I ripped someone off! (which I did not)  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff