0%  [ 0 ]
Gold!
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 28

Amarella Harte

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:16 pm
I don't know which.

I checked the Egyptian Gold Bracelet in the market place today and the highest buy now price was 8,000 gold. The lowest was 4,864. It sells for 4,150 at the store.

Why would I buy it for more than I had too? This is what I'm thinking.

But then I looked up something else (I forget what) and the average buy price was 300 gold over the store price!

People are paying these prices? It says right there what it sells for at the store and what store it's at.

Is it just me or is this insane.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 pm
just trying to earn some gold.  

jessies_angel

Aelita the Dark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 pm
if the option was either sell to a store or pay a little over the amount in the marketplace i'd much prefer my gold to go to another member to be honest.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:07 pm
I'm afraid I'm not that charitable. It's much better than it used to be, since they started putting the "price in store" note at the top of the description. Now at least it's easy to know that you're being ripped off.

Personally I'd rather help someone out by putting something up for sale at somewhere between half value and full cost. That way I think both myself and the purchaser are getting a good deal. Asking over the odds is just greed to me.  

Catira Norr

Amarella Harte

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:50 pm
I've noticed this complete lack of disregard for money management in the selling of items on the other end of the scale as well.

What I mean is, if the selling price drops too low, people will sell an item in the market place for less than the store will give them for it.

I just don't understand this. It is very simple math.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:10 am
I think some people forget that they can sell things to stores and think the only way to sell is through the market... or they think they're doing their fellow gaians a favor by offering an item at a really low price.

People selling for higher than store price could partially be coming from the 2% "tax" on sales. Sometimes when people buy something and then change their mind or decide they want to sell it to afford something else, they will want all of their money back instead of just settling for half. In order to do this, they have to charge over the store price because 2% of the sale is eaten by the gaia servers. So if someone bought an item from the store for 4000 gold and wanted to get all their gold back by selling it in the marketplace, they would have to sell it for 4082 gold.

Of course, to avoid "taxing" they could also go to the exchange forum, but the marketplace is easier because it doesn't require you to actively look for buyers.

I'm sure most of it has more to do with good ol' fashioned greed, though. Some people will sell items for as high as they can get away with, even if it is cheating another user. I don't understand why people are willing to pay way over the store price unless they know the person or feel like it's indirectly donating to them.

Personally I wouldn't pay over store price for anything.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:44 am
Catira Norr
I'm afraid I'm not that charitable. It's much better than it used to be, since they started putting the "price in store" note at the top of the description. Now at least it's easy to know that you're being ripped off.

Personally I'd rather help someone out by putting something up for sale at somewhere between half value and full cost. That way I think both myself and the purchaser are getting a good deal. Asking over the odds is just greed to me.

I totally agree! I do the same thing, by listing my items somewhere between 1/2 cost and full cost in my store. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:11 am
Perhaps the people don't know that you can get in the stores. Newbies want them and decide to check the MP first. They will pay anything to get it thinking that the items are no longer available. However, that's my guess.  

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:54 pm
I was surprised when I was looking for the Pimpin coat that the marketplace had it for more expensive than the store. I just went to the store and got it instead. Regardless, I'm glad that they have store price on the listings now, makes it easier.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:44 pm
I will pay the lowest i can for an item. If that means going to the shop then so be it. Plus it takes that gold out of circulation, i'm trying to follow Gaia-nomics! xp  

akageoffrey

3,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Ashe_08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:12 pm
i bought this shirt the other day for my other avi at 6k then found out it was 3k in the shops. i was like damn it  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:31 am
rediculous is what it is *sigh* I am never going to get the stuff on my wish list
User Image

Veunus Rahl

Distinct Kitten

8,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200

September Wolf

Wintry Dragon

21,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:51 am
I agree, I don't understand why anyone whould pay more than they have to! I found that with a couple of items I have just been looking at - I check the MP first, and it is more expensive than the store. Huh!  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff