Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Delirium of the Endless

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:25 pm
Allright, here it is. I just had the opposite experience from my last post. I spent the past 20 minutes on Zomg! defending myself to some young hooligans. One of them literally, as he put it, "hunted" me down so he could harass me. I reported him, but I don't know if anything will come of it. I was called names and all because I was typing words to a song with another member. I was threatened to be reported for "spamming" when I told him it was a song they insulted my spelling and began to call me derogitory names, including but not limited to, "f**" and "b***h", and told me I must have "pms" and "cramps." By the way, I'm dyslexic and my keyboard on my laptop is falling apart so when I'm trying to type fast it can mess up. But, that's beside the point!
I just don't know what it is about kids today. I was never this cruel to people. Is it the fact that they feel like because the internet offers aninemity they can say and do whatever they want? Is it just a disrespect for other people? I just don't get it.
For some reason this really hit me and upset me. It makes me not want to get on gaia and especially not want to get on Zomg!. Sorry, I had to get this out and see what other people think.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:15 pm
i hope they do something at least its not right. well hoply you will go on zomg again it is a fun place to enjoy.  

killafrog
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:41 am
Delirium of the Endless
Allright, here it is. I just had the opposite experience from my last post. I spent the past 20 minutes on Zomg! defending myself to some young hooligans. One of them literally, as he put it, "hunted" me down so he could harass me. I reported him, but I don't know if anything will come of it. I was called names and all because I was typing words to a song with another member. I was threatened to be reported for "spamming" when I told him it was a song they insulted my spelling and began to call me derogitory names, including but not limited to, "f**" and "b***h", and told me I must have "pms" and "cramps." By the way, I'm dyslexic and my keyboard on my laptop is falling apart so when I'm trying to type fast it can mess up. But, that's beside the point!
I just don't know what it is about kids today. I was never this cruel to people. Is it the fact that they feel like because the internet offers aninemity they can say and do whatever they want? Is it just a disrespect for other people? I just don't get it.
For some reason this really hit me and upset me. It makes me not want to get on gaia and especially not want to get on Zomg!. Sorry, I had to get this out and see what other people think.

I wouldnt let kids affect you.. its just 'words'... Why not have some fun with it? Just keep reporting them... and respond to them like any other teen would do? "yeah, sure, whatever, as if, duh... " LOL

Just report them. Then come back with "what a shame that you cant behave yourself while Mommy and Daddy are away... I wonder what Gaia will think when I report you?"

They are just kids... and youre an adult... dont let it get to you... is it really worth it to not go? When my daughter and I are online, we go where we damn well want to when we are on Gaia together. And yes, we run into little hellions from time to time... what ends up happening is we end up getting support from others when we laugh them off. Works great... and then when all is said and done, the supporters will come over, start chatting with us and then bomb us with the question "are you really mother and daughter?".. when they realize it, we have just acquired brand new friends and we laugh things off.... and its people of all ages, including kids...

Just go back to ZOMG and do what you wanna do, under Gaia's direction of course.. but, just have fun.. and remember, they are only kids... youre the adult...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:08 pm
Yeah, I know their just kids, and ususally I don't let stuff like that get to me, but for some reason it hit me that night. It's been one of those weeks and I guess that was just the proverbial straw!
But, I keep seeing kids like this everywhere I go; shopping, coffee houses, grocerie stores, and the MOVIES!!! I had to threaten some kids at a movie recently because they wouldn't be quite! Literally, we're trying to watch a horror movie and the 6 girls behind us are giving us the play by play of the film!!!!!!!! They couldn't take subtle hints so I finally turned around, glared at them and told them if they didn't shut up I would get the manager and have them thrown out. I didn't hear a peep after that! I actually got compliments from people after the film. It was sort of empowering! Anyways, sorry I had to get that out.
Oh yeah, I definetly was right back on Zomg! about 5 mins later. He had run away and I haven't seen him since.  

Delirium of the Endless

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

tigris cobaltchaos

Apocalyptic Reindeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:52 pm
are you sure they were gen Y though? i am 25 and gen Y. sounds like the kids at work. they are between 13-18, sometimes older ones sneak in. anyway they are mostly boys and said horrible things like that. i had a migraine and we asked them to be quieter and the one say that why should they be quite just because i was on the rag. i was shocked.

this will sound strange but...my therapist is actually a year younger than me. apparently he plays halo after a stressful day. he was telling me he took off the audio because the young kids were running around swearing at him and trying to kill his character. he said it was just a nuisance because he was obviously better than them. he just reported them and does not listen to the game anymore.

my guess is these kids went after you because they could. maybe they do not realize that there is an actual person on the other end. they could just be horrible little kids who think it is fun. well at least you can come here and talk about it and know they cannot get in! go geezers!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:02 am
I'm 25, but I condsidermyself still a member of Gen X...just a younger member. It's these young kinds 17 and below that drive me crazy. I see their role models like Hannah Montana and Britney Spears and I'm just disgusted by it all.  

Delirium of the Endless

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

queen of qeeks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:28 am
I feel a lot of times it's just because of the internet. What I mean is...it is a lot easier to call someone a b***h or a f** when you can't see their face, and they can't see yours. They think they probably won't get in trouble for it, so why not? A few months ago I posted something on Gaia trying to get good advice and every single response either called me a "f**" or told me I should just go and shoot myself.

It got me upset, but after a while you realize that they're not worth your time. There a great people online, as well as jerks. Guilds like this bring the good people together and give you a mature, safe environment to hang out in. As for the rest...well, we can always hope they never get laid? Hahahaha.

Feel better--don't let them get you down.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:50 pm
Oh no no no no - I completely understand what you're getting at. And I'm 24! And I think I'm more annoyed at young people than my Mom is!

I was pretty rebelious in my day - I had a lot of problems with refusing to respect people who didn't deserve it. I was pretty hateful - in fact there's a church that thinks I'm demonically possessed.

But you know what? I'm constantly shocked by what younger people do. Have they no sense of right and wrong?

Heck, even my 7 year old's crew... I never cussed out adults. I didn't even cuss when I was 7.

Is it the parents?
Is it the media?
Is it the globalization of everything?

I really wish I knew so that I could make sure my kids got the idea to be polite and respectful... at least to a point.  

Shinigami Unity

Corbin Noir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:31 pm
I blame 4chan, personally.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 pm
I blame a lot of things really. Part of the big problem is that kids these days have become desensitized by the world around them. They spend their lives behind a computer screen with partents who have no clue what is going on in their lives. The only words they speak are when the kids ask mommy and daddy for a new car cause they crashed their brand new mrecedes, or they need more money for the newest $1200 Gucche bag!

I read recently about this poor young man who commited suicide online while the world watched. Kids egged him on, called him names, and watched for hours as he slowly overdosed. It wasn't until he lay still for a very long time that anyone thought it might be a good idea to call the website and the cops. By then it was too late. There were teh few that tried to talk him out of it and those who thought it wasn't real, but either way, people should have taken action. Seeing the horrible things people were writing towards him probably did not help. How could they just sit and watch while someone kills themselves slowly.

Anyways, I digress, my point is that kids these days think anything on the otherside of this screen is inhuman and unworthy of respect.

Oh yeah, I figured something out, it's not generation Y, they are officially GENERATION WHY!?!?!?!?  

Delirium of the Endless

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

georgecat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:35 am
I grow very weary of the potty mouths on some of todays youth. In my day (I'm 60) we certainly thought a lot of nasty things but wouldn't dare say them outloud. I was afraid of the consequences. There does not seem to be any punishment these days. There seems to be a lot of concern for their delicate egos and self esteem. If it talks like a brat and acts like a brat I say treat it like a brat. If everyone acted that way, society would collapse. They do not seem to realize that we had four letter words too. They didn't invent them.
Kids used to punch each other in the school yard. Now they use guns and knives.
If you are still reading, thank you for listening to my rant.
I wish I had some answers.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:05 pm
I can't really blame these kids for their language. I work in retail and I hear some horrible things being said to kids everyday by their parents. I'm appalled at how these parents talk to their children in public, I can only imagine what they are exposed to at home!!! If that's what they are raised around it is no surprise that the kids use foul language like it's nothing!  

Delirium of the Endless

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items