Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Strange Co-workers Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suede_Shoes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:21 am
Does anyone here have some pretty interesting characters that they work with or any weirdos they can recall? I work in a warehouse, so I work around a lot of people. There's one guy that we call Dr. Giggles because he is always laughing, even without having to say anything to him. He scares me a bit. Everyone at my job seems to have a nickname, including the guy who comes up with them all. We call him the K kid (kindergarten kid). The names are numerous, like Geppetto, Pinocchio, Angus, Vinegar, Man-hands, The General, Dora the Explorer, Captain America, Panda, etc.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:36 am
Theatre, everyone is strange.  

Aurixisk

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 am
I don't really have any characters at my job currently. There was this one guy, three jobs ago, that was a greeter at this grocery store. He was really cool and very old. He liked to mess around with me, but one day he told me he would like to tie me up in the bottle room and touch my feet.....that was awkward....  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:51 am
I dont have a job but I do get called Tom Tom a lot when i go to the stores i usually go.  

Noir Resurection

Wealthy Tycoon

Suede_Shoes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:54 pm
I know no one is accusing me of it, but I just want to say that I'm not trying to imply anything with jobs. I just want to make conversation, to see what kind of whackos everybody meets at current or past jobs.

That being said, there's another co-worker there that has become a friend. He's a bit of a character, too. He gets into a lot of fights, but doesn't seem to know how to pick them since he always gets beat up. I don't know if it's possible to have different levels of severity of the disorder, but he acts like he has a slight case of ADHD.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:06 pm
One co-worker was named Dory, and she was so much like the Ellen DeGenerous character in Nemo that I almost went out and bought a little blue angelfish to keep in a bowl at my desk... spacey doesn't begin to cover it... Though funny as it sounds, working with someone who's always out there in lalaland can be exceptionally difficult...  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:01 am
I have never worked in a place where co-workers gave eachother nicknames... to me that's weird in and of itself (and I've worked in a LOT of different places in my 40+ years.)

I've worked in bookstores and hospitals and warehouses and construction sites and restaurants and hotels and convention centers and call centers and good jobs and bad jobs... and, man, no one ever had any nickname more unique than "Rae" (for Rachel) or "Tim."

Nor have any of my co-workers been all that interesting. They talked about football, drugs, pets, music, kids or girlfriend/boyfriend problems and that's about it.

I would have liked to have met someone who laughed at inappropriate times. If they were also really into encyclopedias, I could've checked to see if they had Asperger's Syndrome.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:51 am
If ya wanna see a REALLY weird bunch of people, come to where I work! I think every weirdball in the area landed there. Not a day goes by without SOMEBODY acting like a goof! One of my crew tagged the bindry group "The Freaks" AND IT STUCK! That's what we've called ourselves ever since.  

Venuslady

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:42 pm
Ah... Bindery. Well, there you go. I've never worked at putting together paper products (at least, no one has ever hired me to do so.)

My ex-wife, Umberella, works for a bindery department (for Checks Unlimited, may we curse the name of that damn company and deluxe in general) and she says that she works with a lot of cards.

Get it? Paper products? Cards.
Ba-da-bump.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:29 pm
I am the strange co-worker twisted  

AschfahlDahlia

6,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Suede_Shoes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:37 pm
How so?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:12 am
Weird co-workers...

I had one (and loads of otherwise strange friends) at advertising company where I too was a designer. Senior designer, a woman at her thirties, used to start cursing and talking to her work if she had some serious difficulty with it. She said that intimidation helps. =D Actually, it helped her to solve the problem by thinking out loud but darn it was hilarious to listen.

At same company, my boss was a case. I've never seen so silent yet expressive man. He might just stand there with a coffee jug and watch curiously people for a minute, then say two words and leave. He got seasoned salesman to stammer just by looking very attentive but not making a peep in five minutes. I watched it from clock. Someones just know how to be comfortably silent. It was annoying when I needed really to get something out of him.  

Veddhartha

CaitieRose Colo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:44 am
I worked in IT for 13 yrs, same location, this was a professional office environment, and I was on night shift for yrs. One guy (who eventually became a mgr for awhile) insisted on being called Tigger and gave EVERYONE nicknames. Some of the names were 'Hair-Dude', 'Grandpa', and 'Schnapwah', and some I don't dare post. He kind of tried to give me a nickname but he knew better, however he frequently did mix the similarities of my last name with another lead's first name and call me that on email or in person.

In general often the longer you work with people, the more you see their good and bad qualities and their quirks come out as well. One guy, a fellow lead on nights, a brilliant man and my work buddy for yrs, could ONLY talk about 6 topics. He knew 'everything' about politics, Disneyland, mainframes, the NRA, fishing and stocks but anything outside those topics he couldn't even feign interest. Also he was such 'an authority' about the 'Big 6' that he never let anyone have a right to their own opinion at all. I was one of the few who could get along with him, for 6.5 yrs, as I avoided most those topics.

However we had a lot of 'stranger' people at work and on shift than just this guy, night shift seems to attract them, but I know those people are everywhere.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:54 am
Which is precisely why I'm moving to the night shift. Let's see what happens.

By the way, welcome to the Guild CaitieRose.  

Harbone
Crew

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:41 am
User Image

The summer after my first year of college, I worked at Video Warehouse (southeast US rental store, like Blockbuster), and there was a kid a few years younger than me who we affectionately referred to as Harry Potter because of his looks. They called me Hermione because I have a tendency to know the answers to odd questions and because the two of us used to playfully bicker about who was right and wrong. XD

Now I work for an online tutoring service, so I don't interact with any coworkers aside from my mentor; she's very nice, but not strange. XD

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff