Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Valentine's Day Wallflowers Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Why don't you have a valentine?
It's an out-moded superstition based on a horrible event.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
My beloved is far away doing important things for deep reasons. So there!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
How come I have to have a valentine? I didn't do anything wrong!
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Whoops. I gots me a valentine! I'm in the wrong thread.
25%
 25%  [ 11 ]
I'm allergic.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
My story is a tragic one of loss. But I wouldn't want to burden you with it... Well, okay, maybe a little.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
I dunno. I just don't have one. Give me my poll gold.
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Actually, a lot of the time I kinda LIKE being on my own.
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 43

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:16 am
I thought I'd kick out a thread for all those who AREN'T going to have a valentine, either by choice or by accident.

Me, I'm in the middle of a divorce, so I'm taking a year or two off from romance. For my health, mostly.

How about anyone else?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:35 am
My reason isn't listed up there, not even as "Other." I don't celebrate it because the full name of the holiday, Saint Valentine's Day, points to it being a Christian holiday (or at least, points to it commemorating a Christian saint). I'm not a Christian, and I have too much respect for other religions than to try to commercialize or co-opt their holidays.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Kaori Micah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:55 am
Divash
My reason isn't listed up there, not even as "Other." I don't celebrate it because the full name of the holiday, Saint Valentine's Day, points to it being a Christian holiday (or at least, points to it commemorating a Christian saint). I'm not a Christian, and I have too much respect for other religions than to try to commercialize or co-opt their holidays.

It's not a Christian holiday the church dropped the holiday and it was then adapted into different local and nation calendars. All different cultures tend to have there own version of a romantic holiday. I am sure that you can find a similar holiday based on what your own particular religious view are.

of course valentines day in our country seems to be more of a hallmark holiday.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:34 pm
Well, Fair enough.

I wasn't really talking about running around nekkid on lupercalia or even Christian borrowings of pagan festivals.

I just wanted to know if anyone else was sans-sweetheart this year.

Sometimes, such as when there's a general festival (for whatever reason) of couplehood, being without a partner can make you feel even more isolated. It seems nice if there's a place you can vent about that.

(Although, technically, venting about commercialization and a holiday originally based on Pan and, from what I read, goatskins, may fall somewhat into the more outlying regions of this discussion.)

If you are without a date on valentine's day BECAUSE of any of the religious practices cited above, posting here would be particularly appropriate.  

Harbone
Crew

Suede_Shoes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:23 pm
The Christian view on Valentines day differs from person to person, but I, being a Christian, think that it should be celebrated everyday. Jesus instructs that we should love everyone. While the world's view of love (generalization) is the feelings you have for someone, Christian love is caring for others more than you do, yourself. God practically commands us to love. So it's not a feeling, since you can't force emotions.

As far as a girlfriend goes, I have never had one. I am very shy and intensely afraid of rejection. I also don't know how to strike up a conversation with random girls. I have been trying to find a girl, recently. I just haven't had many chances since I have a low confidence level. I've asked out this one girl I had a crush on for the longest time. She would say yes, but when I called to let her know I was gonna pick her up, she'd have an excuse not to go. She ticked me off cause she led me on, so I just gave up. I asked another girl that I knew, but she said that I was more like a brother to her. I still don't see it.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 am
Valentine's day is here called a 'Friends day'. I like much better of that name. I have never very liked the generalization that one must have a girl- or boyfriend then and date and what ever belongs to it on USA and Europe. Or in pop culture.

It is more important to remember all your friends and people you care about than just concentrate on one person. Loved ones, spouses and wifes and husbands definitely do deserve special remembering.  

Veddhartha

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:48 pm
Has been single for the last 9 years ~ by choice... And yes, seeing all the smoochy-kissy-commercials and having "couple-hood" thrown in your face can be annoying. Nothing is ever perfect in real relationships and being treated like something's wrong with you because you're single irks me.

There is a bright side: If you stay single long enough, that "I'm available vibe" breaks and people stop asking... twisted  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:27 am
Yeah, my reason is religious as well. I hadn't really celebrated and once a my new religion came to play it was easy not to.  

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100

Creepy Clown Town

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:53 am
well I have one now but in high school it really bugged me because I never had a valentine during high school and felt bad when I would see all these girls walking around with big animals their boyfriends gave them at school.Plus, the school did not really help by allowing you to purchase a rose that they would givee to someone during class either with a note or a secret admirer.I hated valentines day because it just fed on the fact that you were alone.Not that I cared too much about being alone, but when you stick out like that and feel left out, THAT is what bothered me.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:30 pm
Playdough, that's exactly how I feel. Except for the not caring part. It bugs me all through the year.  

Suede_Shoes

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:41 pm
The Playdough Bunny
well I have one now but in high school it really bugged me because I never had a valentine during high school and felt bad when I would see all these girls walking around with big animals their boyfriends gave them at school.Plus, the school did not really help by allowing you to purchase a rose that they would givee to someone during class either with a note or a secret admirer.I hated valentines day because it just fed on the fact that you were alone.Not that I cared too much about being alone, but when you stick out like that and feel left out, THAT is what bothered me.

Yeah. My high school did that, too. Man, I hated that... but I'm not sure if it was because I was lonely or I just resented the organization that was raising money with the roses. Both, maybe. It was a long time ago.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:35 pm
I have no valentine cause I just don't have one. I have no boyfriend- come to think of it I kind of enjoy not having to deal with a boyfriend right now. I get to come home from work and relax after yelling at my students all day.
Plus any guy I tried to go out with thought that I wasn't around enough (excuse me for working and coaching).

So I sit back and laugh at everyone who stresses about the "perfect valentines day" for their significant other.  

Asteio

Jasmines grace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:13 pm
I have a husband but we agree we dont need a commerialized holiday we show we care.. Its the stuff you do everyday; that matters.. Not a one day holiday thats forced..  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:16 pm
There's a school of thought that says those who have to serve others, be they school teachers, preists, nurses, doctors, low-level med techs (like myself) or even lawyers should think twice about serious relationships.

You have to give a lot of yourself in service jobs and having a significant other may set up conflicts you don't need in your life and which won't help those you've pledged to serve.  

Harbone
Crew

Lucky Lass 38

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:03 pm
I bought myself a box of chocolates and I'm fine with that!  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff