Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Michigan Is DYING Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jinan_lil_sis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 am
I'm in MI, too. No job despite retraining (everyone's younger than me -- you're on the 'downside of your working life' at 40), and hoping like hell I get disability so I can pay the house taxes.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:27 am
Venuslady
Lady Antu
Here in Texas things seem to be more stable (at least in comparison) but we have the Barlett Shale here (Huge natural gas deposit) and thats keeping us afloat, especially in the DFW area.

Its in no way 100% better, but it does seem to have been buffered. Some banks have closed (mostly those bought out by other banks) and some major chain stores have closed stores, but everything else seems pretty much the same.

Y'all could move to Texas, we're not as backwater/redneck/idiotic as tv makes us seem. (haha that could be our state's new motto)

LOL - believe me, if I could find a job for me and my hubby and a place for all of us to live, I would move to Texas in a HEARTBEAT! I've lived in NY all my life and I'm getting FED UP with the NY winters.... I want OUT of the cold! But i guess everywhere, it's something..... 4laugh

You just have to trade the NY winters for the TX summers. I suggest investing in an A/C lol 3nodding  

Lady Antu

Lil-Jo
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:24 pm
Lady Antu
Venuslady
Lady Antu
Here in Texas things seem to be more stable (at least in comparison) but we have the Barlett Shale here (Huge natural gas deposit) and thats keeping us afloat, especially in the DFW area.

Its in no way 100% better, but it does seem to have been buffered. Some banks have closed (mostly those bought out by other banks) and some major chain stores have closed stores, but everything else seems pretty much the same.

Y'all could move to Texas, we're not as backwater/redneck/idiotic as tv makes us seem. (haha that could be our state's new motto)

LOL - believe me, if I could find a job for me and my hubby and a place for all of us to live, I would move to Texas in a HEARTBEAT! I've lived in NY all my life and I'm getting FED UP with the NY winters.... I want OUT of the cold! But i guess everywhere, it's something..... 4laugh

You just have to trade the NY winters for the TX summers. I suggest investing in an A/C lol 3nodding

I'll take the heat any day over the cold... that is why we moved to TX... You just get used to being able to be outside all year without freezing and not going out as often in the hottest 2 months of the summer. But as for the economy, San Antonio area really hasn't taken that hard of a hit in the unemployment rate. People are building houses around us like crazy, and all seems ok so far... There are signs of hard times, but nothing like Michigan or California to name a few...  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:00 pm
So is California...
Don't come here unless you're able to pay
$1,200.00 plus for rent
$200.00 for groceries
$92 plus a month for gas (cuz our public transport sucks)

and that doesn't even cost all of the extras you'd have to pay like insurance for car, utilites and everything else you can think of.

And that's only speaking on behalf of the Southern portion of California in the L.A. area. Can't speak for other cities around me, so I won't even try.

I'm a native... born and raised, and I can't even make it on my own.
It sucks royally!  

AschfahlDahlia

6,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:04 am
Things are alright in Chicago. I can't find a job but I haven't really been looking that hard. I have some red tape to go through with the student employment office at school and they should be able to set me up with something. My wife had a hell of a time, but she eventually managed to get a job very recently.
In reference to your title though, if Michigan is dead, what is the present state of decay is California in?  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff