Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Daffodil Movement

Back to Guilds

Guild for the Daffodil Movement, a cancer awareness movement here on Gaia. 

Tags: cancer, awareness, daffodils, daffodil, movement 

Reply Memorials [honor your loved ones with a permanent and always editable Memorial]
My dad, John F. Smith

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BlackCatt73

Dangerous Shapeshifter

8,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 am
Wow, what to say here... My dad, the man who raised me after my real father abandoned my mother before I was born, was so great to me. He taught me how to take care of my own car, the appreciation of music, how to fish, and how to always love no matter what.

He was married to my mother for almost 16 years when he passed away.

The man I remember was a hard worker, loving, and let me get away with a lot as a kid. He had been in WWII, in the Army. He faught in Normandy, though little of it I know. I often regret never talking to him about that period of his life.

He grew up in Brooklyn, NY. His family consisted of lots of brothers and sisters, but I have since lost contact with them. There was so much I never bothered to ask him. I knew only one of his brothers and that we went to anothers funeral when I was small.

My stepdad, the only father that I ever knew, got sick in 1990. He had been in and out of doctor's for a while. One day, we noticed that a growth on his neck was growing, after having been told it was just a bite or alergic reaction. The growth went from the size of an ant bite to the size of a grape in a matter of days. When they finally ran tests, they found that he had cancer.

This sent my world into a tailspin. In the beginning of my senior year of high school, I was missing days each week to take my dad to his appointments. He was rushed into getting chemo and radiation therapy at the same time. This aggressive treatment was very hard on him and on me. My dad eventually stopped wanting to go. We had someone come to give him medicines at home, and he was put on a liquid diet.

I grew impatient with him and did not understand at that time just what he must've felt. I didn't know why he didn't fight or do anything other than lay on the couch. I wanted my dad to fight and be well and for it to all go away.

One time, I remember yelling at him for not going and doing something himself, if he had the ability to walk to have me to do it. He got frustrated and went to do what he had asked me after that.

I don't know what to say about all of it. It's been many years since I really sat down to think about all of it. I put it out of my mind, or tried to. I know that on that day I was in a haze and couldn't motivate myself to do more than yell and scream and lock myself in my own head.

My dad, John F. Smith, died in October 1991 from an unknown type of cancer. It spread from his stomach area up to his neck in a matter of months. He died at home, the way that he wished.

To this day, I have never been back to visit his grave. I'm afraid to. I left Florida, where I grew up, a few months after all this. I had dropped out of school and took to getting as far away from that as I could. I am back in Florida, but still haven't gone there. It is hard to face those demons and let go.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:25 pm
Many hugs to you. My father died in 84 shortly after I joined the Navy. When he passed away I realized I had never told him how much I loved him and that has bothered me all my life. I will say that it did teach me to tell the ones I do love how much they mean to me and how proud of them I am.

I have been back home for over four years now and still have not gone myself though I really do need to. I need to have my sister show me where the grave is because I was only there once and only have a vague memory of it.  

Cute Killer Bun-Bun

9,475 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

BlackCatt73

Dangerous Shapeshifter

8,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:48 pm
It still feels like it just happened, everytime I think about it. I know he has been watching me everyday, but it's not the same as I feel lost in day-to-day things without him to talk to anymore. I wonder sometimes if it will go away, but I also hope it doesn't. I think that it helped me to understand also that I need to remember what is important, like you said, or I may miss out telling someone I love them and have it be too late! Thank you for the reply! *hugs*  
Memorials [honor your loved ones with a permanent and always editable Memorial]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games