Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Last Chase

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:51 pm
I don't understand why everyone has to be on WoW....
I love Gaia because of the costumes and such. I am twenty-two years old and I still love Gaia... is that weird? But I get so sick of the silly little twits that are on here... The stupid fangirls that think it's cool to use japanese words completely out of context, little boys that are too dirty for their age.... etc.... -sighs-
I don't understand why this site has to be so out of our age range. I don't think it's entierly immature to be on here. It's for the creative, the open minded....
This is just one of those times where I feel like leaving gaia altogether... Does anyone else feel this way? eek eek eek  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:34 am
I think everyone in this guild has felt that way at least once in the time they've spent on Gaia. It's one of the reasons this guild was created... to get away from those kids that make the site not enjoyable and be able to talk with people around your age range {or at least maturity level... some of these Geezers are pretty old. You're pretty much a "youngin" here in comparison} that also like Gaia.  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:43 am
User Image

I've run into people on Gaia that I thought were 13 only to find out that they were my age or older, and I've also run into folks that I thought were my age only to find out that they were 15 or 16. I don't really ever consider leaving Gaia, because it's always possible to find some good conversation if you know where to look, and there are always the games. I was playing zOMG yesterday and I came to find out that this random crew I was in was around my age. So no, it's not weird or immature to be on Gaia.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:56 am
Thanks guys. And yeah, I just haven't really found a whole lot of people my age, even in ZOMG. Last night I just got so pissed off because there was this silly little twelve year old doing the whole 'insert japanese word here' in her speach.... I've been to Japan, I've taken four years of Japanese and I just can't stand when people destroy such a beautiful language. I'm just having such a terrible time finding people my age and I've been on here since... like junior year of highschool. I dunno, it's kind of annoying because it makes me stay away from things I used to love to do on this site.
Nonetheless, I don't know if I'll leave gaia for a very long time. It's such an addiction.  

The Last Chase

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:41 pm
*raises hand* I'm older than you!

I love Japanese. I butcher it. Therefore, I just speak in English. It's better that way. ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:31 pm
I know lol. This is one of the few places where I can go that I feel like there are people I can relate to and not feel like a total child for being on this site.  

The Last Chase

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:42 am
A friend of mine does the >insert random Japanese word or phrase here< thing every now and then and it rubs off on me sometimes stare I don't particularly find it that annoying, but I do think people that do it are fooling themselves if they think it makes them "cultured" in any way. It just means they watch a lot of anime and picked up on a few things.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:17 am
The Last Chase
I just can't stand when people destroy such a beautiful language.

I feel the same about every language; particularly English, as it's under the most threat.  

Eiji

5,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:28 am
Eiji

I feel the same about every language; particularly English, as it's under the most threat.

I found that particularly amusing - especially in the way of pronunciation. Like the word "tour" - is it toor or tore? These things irk me. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:01 am
English is made up of sooo many other things. It's a mess. Japanese is so beautiful and has this great sound that makes it that way. I love it.  

The Last Chase

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:23 am
I love the expressiveness of Japanese. It seems a lot more intense. But that might just be because I've been into Japanese culture for the past 12 years - sort of grew up with it.

... As odd as that sounds coming from a very culturally nondiverse place.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:07 am
I come from an area of England which is known as the Black Country (to the West of England's second city, Birmingham in the Midlands). The Black Country dialect is the closest to true English. It is a beautiful thing.

English is only made a mess when it is used by people on the Internet or in text messages on their mobile telephones.

I guess my personal pet hate is American English. A filthly, bastardised version of a beautiful language. It's not even a pinyin or creole form, it's just English, with goodness removed.

Why drop the 'u' from words such as armour, colour or honour? I mean, seriously, why?!

As you get wound up by people misusing and destroying Japanese, I feel much the same about English.  

Eiji

5,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Boudica Celtic Queen

8,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:22 pm
So what does the one geezer think is old? LOL I'm 47, my daughter is in this guild at the ripe old age of 22. I have a 19 year old son on the site as well. I joined at my daughter's encouragement at it being a generally fun site. I DO have fun here. I've done up my profile, got my house, aquarium, car, get items for my avatar and enjoy being creative with it all.

Back to the main topic, I DO understand the frustration with some of the younger set in the towns seemingly oversexed and underage. And some can be downright nasty. I've seen this from watching the conversations and haven't experienced any direct rudeness of yet, altho I won't rule out running into it in the future.

There are so many thousands of members, that you just have to stick with the friendly ones. I've talked to some very nice kids, picked up a few of them as friends while going through the various parts of town. If they want a mom figure as a friend, it is all good. As with any site, it's what YOU make of it. Ignore the kids, or step in. If I see someone being picked on, I do step in. As for those that butcher the Japanese language, it may be their way of trying to fit in. As they grow and mature, they will get out of the habit of that. In the grand scheme of things, that is minor compared to some of the things we see that go on here.  
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games