Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
Documentary Filmmaking

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

loIitoads

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:37 am
Perhaps a little overlooked, it struck me that documentary filmmaking is just as worthy of discussion as purely artistic or entertainment based projects. In fact, if we view the likes of Eisenstein's propaganda work as a sort of heavily fictionalised documentary (something we're pretty sued to now with docu-dramas) then it is conceivable to argue that documentary filmmaking is responsible for some of the greatest acheivements in cinema history. Of course that is very tenuous, but the point still stands, what documentarys have you particularly enjoyed?

What brought this one was that I just watched Nuestra Comunidad, a great little film about immigrant Latinos in North Carolina that gave a very different, human side to a stale debate about illegal and legal immigration. I suggest watching it if you can, it's only an hour long and quite powerful.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:24 am
Coming from a Canadian background, Kanehsatake is a really powerful documentary on First Nations land rights. I didn't expect much going into it, but at the end of the film, no one moved until the credits were over; it was that powerful.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

The Dark Archer
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:44 am
Near all war documentaries.

They give me such a better perspective of the world.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:25 pm
The Dark Archer
Near all war documentaries.

They give me such a better perspective of the world.

Could you elaborate? I don't understand what you mean by this exactly.

@RedWhiteBlack: That looks like a very interesting documentary, and I've never heard in depth about that sort of thing, I might search it out.  

loIitoads

Chokolate Thief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:30 pm
"Gallipoli" is a great movie, not really a documentary but its about real events in World War One, when the Australian army was sent on a suicide mission against Turkish trenches. It's very powerful.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:18 pm
Chokolate Thief
"Gallipoli" is a great movie, not really a documentary but its about real events in World War One, when the Australian army was sent on a suicide mission against Turkish trenches. It's very powerful.

O, that event was horrible, I can imagine how powerful a well-made film would be.  

loIitoads

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 am
"Bigger, Faster, Stronger." (may not be in the right order) This doc really changed my views on steroids. My buddy who is a complete fitness nut showed me this doc. It showed how much the U.S. can jump on so called moral high horses before taking all the facts in.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:34 am
Saint Kimo
"Bigger, Faster, Stronger." (may not be in the right order) This doc really changed my views on steroids. My buddy who is a complete fitness nut showed me this doc. It showed how much the U.S. can jump on so called moral high horses before taking all the facts in.

Sounds interesting, is it a pro-steroid doc or does it give both sides then?  

loIitoads

[Hollow Point]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:10 pm
Documentaries on the Pearl Harbor attacks.
I live on the Big Island, and as such have been to the memorial many, many times. It's a very powerful event.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:48 pm
[Hollow Point]
Documentaries on the Pearl Harbor attacks.
I live on the Big Island, and as such have been to the memorial many, many times. It's a very powerful event.

I've never seen a very in depth documentary about Pearl Harbour myself, only a few that touched upon it without real analysis.  

loIitoads

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:22 am
Lolicat von Doom
Saint Kimo

Mainly pro but does cover the negative. The director came from a family of three brothers who became bodybuilders. The reason he did this film was because he was struggling with the choice to do roids or not. My friend just told me one of the brothers just committed suicide.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:28 am
Saint Kimo
Lolicat von Doom
Saint Kimo

Mainly pro but does cover the negative. The director came from a family of three brothers who became bodybuilders. The reason he did this film was because he was struggling with the choice to do roids or not. My friend just told me one of the brothers just committed suicide.

Ouch. See, I don't mind if people wanna do 'roids but I hardly think it's fair in regards to competition, and all-too often indicative of other problems with inferiority complexes, etc. I'll give this a watch if I can.  

loIitoads

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:58 pm
Lolicat von Doom
Saint Kimo
Lolicat von Doom
Saint Kimo

Ouch. See, I don't mind if people wanna do 'roids but I hardly think it's fair in regards to competition, and all-too often indicative of other problems with inferiority complexes, etc. I'll give this a watch if I can.

They do touch on that subject, but they bring up the point of Tiger Woods who was born with the need to wear glasses and ended up getting lasik(sp) which gave him 20/15 vision, better than normal, and now he's a great golf player. I'm sorry I could touch on a lot of points the film made, but you def see it.  
T3h Movie World

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games