Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
Why does everybody else have an accent?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever heard a fake accent that sounded believable?
  yes
  no
  GOLD! *drools*
View Results

OldBlueGenes

Benevolent Lunatic

9,200 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:13 pm
Okay so I'm starting a new topic. Here I go! 4laugh

So i was in the mood for a nice little chic flick the other day and Divine Secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood was on. I thought "hmm this looks fun. Why haven't I watched this before?" And then I remembered. At least two of the characters had ATROCIOUS southern accents. It was supremely irritating. I'm from Mississippi and I would rather you sound like you are than TRY to sound like you're from somewhere else and sound weird. So, it got me thinkin' have any of you guys ever watched a movie that had accents supposedly representing your little corner of the world? Have you ever seen one in which the accents were soooo bad you couldn't bear to watch? Lemme hear about it, Ya'll! wink  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:21 pm
Pearl Harbor, the one local boy that had in that movie didn't sound like a local boy at all.

50 First Dates is the only other Hawaii based movie I can think of.
But Ula's accent and his use of slang was right on for the islands.  

[Hollow Point]

Quixotic Faye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:47 am
There isn't really a specific accent to this area I live, which is about midway down the Atlantic coastline. In general though, I'd rather the actors work with a vocal coach or the producers hire someone with an ear for accents.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:38 am
[Hollow Point]
Pearl Harbor, the one local boy that had in that movie didn't sound like a local boy at all.

50 First Dates is the only other Hawaii based movie I can think of.
But Ula's accent and his use of slang was right on for the islands.

I grew up in Hawaii and I thought the characters were pretty good at being local boys in 50 first dates. I also think that Jason Lee and JLO did a pretty good job as well in Lilo and Stitch. I use to speak pidgeon english when I was a kid until I met a teacher who told me if I ever moved to the states being white and talking like that, I would just sound stupid. But 15 years later you can still catch me and my brada talking dat way.  

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

[Hollow Point]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:14 am
Yeah, I used to speak pigeon pretty thick. Or at least what we call pidgeon nowadays. It's no longer a unique dialect, ask any of the older paniolos, it's vulgarity anymore. I still catch myself throwing in s**t like "bus up" and "ho, brah", and everyone once in a while "you like beef?"

Yeah, but now I can hardly stand it. Haha.
Especially now when half the vulgarities are direct at me. This Kau Inoa s**t is ******** ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:19 am
[Hollow Point]
Yeah, I used to speak pigeon pretty thick. Or at least what we call pidgeon nowadays. It's no longer a unique dialect, ask any of the older paniolos, it's vulgarity anymore. I still catch myself throwing in s**t like "bus up" and "ho, brah", and everyone once in a while "you like beef?"

Yeah, but now I can hardly stand it. Haha.
Especially now when half the vulgarities are direct at me. This Kau Inoa s**t is ******** ridiculous.

lol, I still enjoy the ever once in awhile "da kind" or "dis is ono". Mmmmmm and I miss POI!!!  

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

[Hollow Point]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:21 am
Man, if you're ever over here on the Big Island. There's a place in Hilo, next to the mall. The sell a 1 pound lau lau. But they have THE BEST poi.

And here in Waimea, Aunty Peaches sets up tent, she sells poi balls. The best.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:42 am
Mmmm lau lau!! Oh I gotta get the recipe from my dad. Is so ono! I also miss manapua(sp). I lived on Ohau near da airport. Me and my bro have been talking about moving back for a long time. Maybe getting a boat and doing tours for the tourist.  

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

[Hollow Point]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:14 pm
Ever had the sweet potato manapua?
Dude. Now is not the time for it. ******** things are expensive, we just got our new tax book, it's gone up 80%.

They recently got rid of this shark tour that was trying to get in on Oahu.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:55 am
Oh realla? Yeah I'm pretty sure alots changed since I've lived there.(94). Everybody I know hear always ask me why I haven't moved back and I always tell them its to expensive to live there. My friend who still lives there tells most the people we went to school with still live at home cuz its cheaper. Maybe I'll move back and jus mooch off my aunts and cousins lol.  

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

[Hollow Point]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:26 am
It's getting ridiculous.
Oh hey, surprise suprise, Akaka and Inoe are still our senators. They've been there since statehood and Akaka looks like he's about to fall over half the time. People keep voting them in out of "respect for their position". Meanwhile, they're doing nothing to help the islands. Tourism has been in a steady decline for the last 2 years.

Thankfully, though, things are picking up over on the Big Island. Hey, you probably have, but did you ever go to Punch Bowl? It's amazing up there. The Veteran Cemetery is beautiful, but then they have this scenic balcony that you can stand on, clear view over Honolulu, straight to the ocean.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:37 pm
[Hollow Point]
It's getting ridiculous.
Oh hey, surprise suprise, Akaka and Inoe are still our senators. They've been there since statehood and Akaka looks like he's about to fall over half the time. People keep voting them in out of "respect for their position". Meanwhile, they're doing nothing to help the islands. Tourism has been in a steady decline for the last 2 years.

Thankfully, though, things are picking up over on the Big Island. Hey, you probably have, but did you ever go to Punch Bowl? It's amazing up there. The Veteran Cemetery is beautiful, but then they have this scenic balcony that you can stand on, clear view over Honolulu, straight to the ocean.

I barely remember Punch Bowel. Like I said its been awhile. I heard the Japanese are buying up a lot of land. My friend said they were tacking on japanese names to hawaiian names for places and housing developments. Its a shame they got rid of alot of pineapple fields. Sigh I miss the ocean. Me and my bro use to go to Bellows(sp) Beach alot. On the northside of Oahu. Does it still snow on the big island up at the observatory? Is Pele(sp) still reacking havoc? Hey does Frank Delima still perform?  

SocialZealot

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

[Hollow Point]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:55 pm
Frank is just as lame as ever, bro.
Pele is still puking out thousands of tons of vog every day.
The mountain still has some snow on it.  
T3h Movie World

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff