Submit

Lupas Deva

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:43 am
I've been seeing 3d art for a while now and I always though it was WAYYYYYYYY beyond me. My husband shows me this 3d person who looks like they came out of the AT forum, 3d style. I make a passing comment, "That looks really cool."

Next thing I know he researching different 3d programs, contacting people, and getting a stronger computer. (we own 1 tv, no cable, and 6 computers) We check out daz3d, Silo 2, and now Blender.

Silo 2 had me hooked. It seemed very easy to get awesome results as soon as I figured out the theory and what each button did. I managed to make a kitsune head as one of my first creations. I didn't save it though.

Then after fiddling with that for a few days. He springs Blender on me. Blender looks like it has an airplane console. LOTS and LOTS of buttons. Blender does EVERYTHING. 3d, textures, lighting, animation, etc. And its completely FREEEEEEE!!!!

I've just begun to sink my teeth into it but I hope to pull out some awesome stuff. More Kitsunes anyone?

Is anyone here interesting in learning 3d art?
Does any here already familiar with it?
What are you guys interesting in seeing?

I can feel obsession coming on, can you?  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:22 pm
I've always wanted to try 3D art and possibly animation, but it's a lot to learn imo  

freaxy
Crew

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:15 am
YOU BET!!!! I'm an Art Director/Designer. Been one for around 20 years and my education is in Fine Art. I design anything printed (Brand ID, Packaging, Products, Fabric, Brochures, Website Design, etc. anything that can put ink on materials or be produced digitally). I've dabbled in 3D but only to the point of creating illustrations for clients over the years using only Adobe Creative Suite for Mac.

A friend of mine is a special effects artist for movies. He worked on the Star Trek movie that's currently out and he's working on Transformers 2 and the new Terminator movie that will be out. I could ask him which program is best to use. He'd know. wink  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:50 am
That would definitely be very helpful, Psyzapp. I enjoyed Star Trek and am strongly looking forward to Transformers 2.

You wouldn't happen to have any connections that wouldn't mind helping get a freelancer rolling in such a field?lol

freaxy
Crew

Lupas Deva

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:07 am
Psyzapp
YOU BET!!!! I'm an Art Director/Designer. Been one for around 20 years and my education is in Fine Art. I design anything printed (Brand ID, Packaging, Products, Fabric, Brochures, Website Design, etc. anything that can put ink on materials or be produced digitally). I've dabbled in 3D but only to the point of creating illustrations for clients over the years using only Adobe Creative Suite for Mac.

A friend of mine is a special effects artist for movies. He worked on the Star Trek movie that's currently out and he's working on Transformers 2 and the new Terminator movie that will be out. I could ask him which program is best to use. He'd know. wink

Lol, maybe I can use you as a connection once I get good enough?

Anyway here is a very carpy helmet. BUT its something.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:03 am
I R quite interested, I know a little, but have no program. I used to mess with GMAX a little bit.  

Exor Omega

Lupas Deva

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm
Exor Omega
I R quite interested, I know a little, but have no program. I used to mess with GMAX a little bit.

Blender is free.

Here is something a little bit better. Its my attempt at a kitsune.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:44 am
freaxy
That would definitely be very helpful, Psyzapp. I enjoyed Star Trek and am strongly looking forward to Transformers 2.

You wouldn't happen to have any connections that wouldn't mind helping get a freelancer rolling in such a field?lol

I just may. You'll need to PM me so we can speak more privately as I may need to know which part of the world you are in and see your portfolio (if you have one) to hook you up with a place or specialty that is a good fit for you. At least if that is okay with you.  

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:47 am
Lupas, could you please add which program you are working in when you post samples. I'll find out which programs are best from my "Movie Buddy" and get back to you all. More to come…  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:01 pm
Psyzapp
Lupas, could you please add which program you are working in when you post samples. I'll find out which programs are best from my "Movie Buddy" and get back to you all. More to come…

The program I'm learning is Blender.

Much thanks for any advice you can give me.  

Lupas Deva

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:48 pm
I'm happy to help out my fellow "Geezers"
biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:06 pm
3d art sounds interesting - I'd be willing to dabble a bit.

First I better look up this Blender program...  

Harley Quinne

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:56 am
Okay, heard from my friend in the Movie Biz and he says to learn something called "Maya". I googled it and it is called "Autodesk Maya." It's probably pretty powerful and what is being used in the real world of 3D modeling and animation. You've just heard it from an expert in the field that works on movies such as Star Trek XI, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers 2 and Terminator Salvation. So, for all of you that want a paying career in this field, this would be the software to learn.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:33 am
Those are really good.
I'm still working in the basic paint program and have gotten addicted to it. But I mostly work only with household items as I like to create room settings and people, though my people have alot more detail.
My sons always tell me that I'd have better results with Photoshop and I have tried it. But it gripes too much with me. I think one time it even tried to slap me through the screen! crying
Nice work though, and good luck with the progress.  

Irahatam

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Lupas Deva

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:48 pm
@ Psyzapp: I've heard about Maya, I'll look into that thanks!

@StridersStorm: Photoshop is awesome I use that for my avy art.

Now I don't have a pic, but I managed to pull out a half-way decent chess piece King 3d style with Blender. I was playing with the coloring and exploring what that can do.  
The ART Dept

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff