Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Movies TV Shows Books Comics
Dr. Who - a show for the truly decrepit Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Dr. Who?
I don't like anybody.
5%
 5%  [ 15 ]
Didn't he have something to do with pledge drives?
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
I don't watch medical shows.
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
I heard he went crazy and lived in Obi-Wan's attic.
10%
 10%  [ 31 ]
Sure. Lots. Now gimme my poll gold.
24%
 24%  [ 74 ]
Exterminate! Exterminate!
56%
 56%  [ 168 ]
Total Votes : 300

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:28 pm
I noticed another Geezer with a post about the Doctor.

I thought it was a great BBC program and I remember watching when Jon Pertwee was running around being very gay. Then he became a scarecrow.

I'd love to see some of the new Eccleston (how do you spell that?) episodes.
My friend burned some to DVD for me, but he used some weird compression format that won't run on my computer.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:28 pm
Yep, my friend in the UK taped them all for me. She says there are about 4 dodgy episodes, but on the whole it's even better than before. They even have a few Dalek episodes, (how could you not?) Can't wait to get over to the UK in December to watch them - that is, if I don't end up hiding behind the sofa like I did when I was a kid.  

Catira Norr

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:03 pm
I'm pleased to report, that the poll at the top of the page is going well.

And thanks for sharing.

Yay! Daleks!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:02 pm
Dr. Who is the most awesomest show that ever existed. Back in the day, the public tv channel in Louisiana used to run it late on Saturday nights. (they had british scifi that night. It's also where I discovered Red Dwarf). The Pertwee eppys where the first ones I saw, then the baker, and the davidson. I've had occassions to wear a little celery on my lapel from time to time, and I'll always find atleast one person who recognizes it.  

CosmicHedgehog

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:22 am
Yeah. I liked Peter Davidson's cricket outfit with celery accoutrement a whole bunch.

Actually, my favorite Doctor was Sylvester McCoy. A lot of Brits didn't like his shows, but I thought the manic pacing of his episodes was wonderful. And I think some of those McCoy episodes had the quality of desperate innovation I love in cult monster films.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:17 am
Harbone
Yeah. I liked Peter Davidson's cricket outfit with celery accoutrement a whole bunch.

Actually, my favorite Doctor was Sylvester McCoy. A lot of Brits didn't like his shows, but I thought the manic pacing of his episodes was wonderful. And I think some of those McCoy episodes had the quality of desperate innovation I love in cult monster films.

Sylvester McCoy had Ace. That made up for a lot. smile

I'm from the late Davison/McCoy era myself; although I like the new episodes. I'm interested in seeing things like David Tennant, the return of Sarah Jane and K9 next season and this new Captain Jack spin-off, but I wish that the new series'd been a bit more about the Doctor and a bit less about Rose - especially the finale.

Then again, I come from the generation that remembers Billie Piper as a fifteen year old who got a record deal - and several number one singles - for blowing bubblegum and yelling "Pop!" in a twenty second TV commercial. I never liked the girl to start with.

Ranty explanations on request. smile  

Nuala

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:59 am
No. That's okay. I don't like Billy Piper much, anyway.
Or Tiffany. Or Brittany Spears.

But I do like Shakira who kind of reminds me of Lousie Jameson (am I spelling that right) in the Leela bit... only with a socko voice.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:12 am
The only Dr. Who I've ever enjoyed was the one from that 90's movie that first aired on Fox(though now you can occasioanlly see it on Sci-Fi). My sister on the other hand was always a big fan so I got her one of the Dr. Who novels last x-mas. She loved it especially since I remembered to get the book based on her fav version of Dr.Who. I don't know one from the other but it wasn't the scarf one, this one looked younger & his outfit made him look like a cheesy gameshow host.  

Naito

Catira Norr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:32 pm
Yep, I'm from the Pertwee generation I'm afraid. Never forgave him for turning into a scarecrow! Sorry, I'm one of those Brits who totally hated McCoy, but Nuala's right, Ace made up for a lot. Now Leela... she was my role model for a while. Sassy gal in very little clothes, my Mum had a fit lol  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:47 pm
My father loved Dr. Who. I have very vague memories of Pertwee as the esteemed Dr ~ then on to Tom Baker. He was on for quite a few years. I didn't really like the guy after him. I always just liked listening to the English accents.  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

I Ceymore Ratz
Crew

Revered Prophet

6,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:32 am
Now I am interested, I have to go see my friend to have them taped for me also. I miss seeing that show. I think it was dropped about the time they dropped Beny Hine Comic hour.. xp  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:50 pm
Living in the US I have not been able to see the new season of The Doctor yet. I just hope that when it does become available one of the local PBS stations will pick it up. I used to live around the DC area and watched Dr. Who from about 1975, when I was 5. No matter where I moved there was the Doctor... until I moved a bit further south in VA.. only an hour further out from DC.. and the cable company does not pick up the DC PBS stations and the PBS Stations we do get out of Richmond do not show Dr. Who. I am thinking I am going to have to go to a Whovian convention to get the DVDs or talk my local comic and gaming shop into carrying them when they are available.

*sighs* I envy those of you who get to actually see them as they come out.  

BlaizeDeeziere

Umberella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:43 pm
"Doctor Whoooooooo-ooo!
Doc-tor Who!
Doctor Whoooooooo-ooo!"

I'm singing the song by the Timelords (aka The Jams).  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:55 pm
Burn, ABBA, Burn, honey.*
The monsters of rock turn their heads in shame.

*Umberella and I are married IRL.  

Harbone
Crew

Saiyana2

4,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:59 am
Ah the Time Lord of Gallifrey.
I watched it religiously when we lived in Illinois in the early 80's on PBS. I was a memeber of Time Travellers Anonyomous, the Dr. Who fan club at the Universtiy of Illinois.
Grins big along with Timothy Zahn.
I got to see most of them, Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davidson and Colin Baker. Those were the Incarnations of the Doctor, I the most familiar with.
stressed I just missed the McCoy stuff, we moved to Montana. But I met all the ones I've listed except Hartnell, crying he had already passed away by the time I discoverd the enigmic Doctor.
Smirks and I actually had Colin Baker in my car.
I have the five I've met's autographs too HEHEHEHE Along with Sgt. Benton several of the Doctor's companions, K-9 and Anthony Ainley the second Master.My favorite was Tom Baker then Peter then Colin.  
Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff