Reply Advice Forum
Bankruptcy?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

II Marie Antoinette II

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:29 pm
Times have been hard and money isn't going as far as it once did. Bills are piling up and I'm not sure my unemployment is gonna pay for all of it. There is frankly little to no hope of me finding a job that will cover the hospital bills and credit debt from college and now that I have a house payment I'm considering bankruptcy court to save what I have. Has anyone else been there? Any advice? Even a personal story to give some comfort?  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:00 pm
I'm not in your shoes yet, but I feel your pain. I have a less then $6,000 in my account and slowly depleting, If it was not for my parents allowing me to move back in, I'd be in the streets. I still have no job, I'm either over qualified for most nearby jobs or not qualified enough for the jobs that pay well.  

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:57 pm
I've known one person who went to bankruptcy court, but I don't know how it went for him. All I can really say is good luck and don't lose hope.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 pm
same here, dont lose your cool and keep looking, I'll give you some of my luck smile as a gift.  

Chris de Medich

Gilda Geezer
Crew

Devout Worshipper

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:01 pm
Been there, done that... and you don't have to file on the house. You also don't necessarily have to have an expensive lawyer, a paralegal works fine. It's been about 10 years now, and I really hated doing that but unemployment wasn't covering the bills and the creditors were calling daily. Some of them got downright nasty with me. I listed everything but the house. I can't remember if that was the Chapter 11 or the other one, but you can select certain things you want to leave off the bankruptcy. Of course, had I been able to get one of those debt consolidation groups to work with me, I wouldn't have had to go there in the first place. stare

Best wishes and hope you can find some decent options. heart  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:49 am
We have back taxes to pay because my husband is self employed and I'm always afraid that one day we're not going to be able to keep up witht he payments. His job doesn't always pay as we'd like it to. Winter months are the hardest.
I can sypathize and hope you know your not alone is what your facing.
My oldest son was laid off after six years on a job that had good benefits, and my brother was laid off soon after him. My son got a job as a mechanic with a friend but theres no benefits. My brother still has not found a job.
Theres no hope for them to get their job back because the company is moving over seas.  

Irahatam

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Dancing Wheels

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:22 am
Considered bankruptcy. Didn't do it because it stays with you for 7 years. Times are tough, do what you need to. *hug*  
Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games