Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Serious Conversations
about to be a G-MA and not sure if I'm ready...Advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chimaria

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:15 pm
Holy Cow...
I just found out i'm going to be a grandma...I should be elated.
but i am a perpetual child I have Peter Pan syndrome.
I just turned *god i can't even admit it* and i don't know how to deal with my soon to be title.

eek anyone have any advice? anyone become a g-parent earlier than expected? My kiddo is single, 21, and hopefully in a blossoming relationship.

I was just shopping for a PSP...i should be looking at cribs!  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:02 pm
First let me say...CONGRATS! Being a grandma is awesome, you're going to love it mrgreen

I became a grandma in Jan 08. I was only 48. My daughter called one morning just as I was about to walk out the door to go to work & told me she was expecting. She'd just found out, so SHE was still in shock.

Give it a few days to sink in & the shock to wear off, then just kick back & enjoy the ride. You'll get used to your new title in no time.

Is it your daughter who's pregnant, or your son who is going to be a daddy?

Ruby2zday

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:43 pm
Well, that makes it all the more better cause you'll be more willing to play with your grandchild, something many grandparents wish they could do but are unable to.

Enjoy it, I say, but be practical when needed. For example, you could shop for a crib, but also consider toys for the child.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:12 pm
I think you sound like you'd be an awesome grandparent! xd

Well, my exhusband and I had our first child at 16. His Mom was - I believe 34 or 35 and had toddlers herself (twins). Talk about shock. Thankfully your kid was older.

I really think it's just a word. I think it's one of those things that you just become more comfortable with time. My mom's 48 with 4 grandchildren (only 2 are mine) and at first she freaked out about being a grandma. She thought it made her old. But I think it's actually one of the things that's helping her stay young. I think she enjoys being G-ma much more than Ma. smile

Shopping for baby stuff is sort of over-rated. Just enjoy yourself - think of all the new toys you can play with (my son is totally my gaming partner)  

Shinigami Unity

freaxy
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:40 am
prep the funds to spoil them rotten. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:13 am
No advice - Just congratulations on the shiny, new one that will soon join your family!  

Refoya

Chimaria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:53 pm
heart OH you Guys are the greatest! I do feel better.
especially the part about TOYS!
I heart toys. I heart shopping. I heart being a kid.

spoil them rotten...yesshhhh! hugs, kisses, toys, picnics...prep child to be a gamer...future gaming partner.... whee HEY I think I am getting the right idea?!

Ruby, it's my daughter. so far her boyfriend is on-board. I hope it stays that way. He is nice guy *sigh of relief*

I think I was freaked because I just turned 44, I had just realized my age days before my birthday. And couldn't believe it!!! scream  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:48 pm
I have that problem when I think about the fact that for 2 whole months my son will be 13 and I will be 29. I can imagine 29 (4.5 years from now - no biggie) but my baby being 13? I can't handle that. crying

Not to mention he'll most definitely be taller than me at that point.  

Shinigami Unity

Venuslady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:53 am
CONGRATS! You'll get used to it! blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:22 pm
Chimaria
heart OH you Guys are the greatest! I do feel better.
especially the part about TOYS!
I heart toys. I heart shopping. I heart being a kid.

spoil them rotten...yesshhhh! hugs, kisses, toys, picnics...prep child to be a gamer...future gaming partner.... whee HEY I think I am getting the right idea?!

Ruby, it's my daughter. so far her boyfriend is on-board. I hope it stays that way. He is nice guy *sigh of relief*

I think I was freaked because I just turned 44, I had just realized my age days before my birthday. And couldn't believe it!!! scream

Ah, it's your daughter. Fun mrgreen Be prepared for Mr. Toads wild ride, LOL. I lost count of the number of phone calls & questions as so much has changed in the last 28 years, that almost everything in the way of advice has changed. She went from supremely confident to frantic-oh-my-god-what-am-I-doing mess at the drop of a hat. Some of the calls lasted only a minute or two, others for hours. I found out she was carrying a girl as I was going into the dentist's office, got pics of the first sonogram on my phone while I was at work. I was in the vet's office when she called to tell me she was in labor. It was an interesting 9 months for both of us, LOL.

Glad that the babies' father is on board & that you like him. That helps a lot!

TOYS! Yup, you're gonna LOVE that. They have sooooo much neater stuff now than they did before. Have fun!

Ruby2zday

Namyria

7,500 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:15 pm
I think grandparents get the fun part when it comes to kids. parents have to deal with all the hard stuff like figuring out how to discipline and handle their child having a really bad day. grandparents get to mess with them and get the greatest greetings from little kids (at least my child gives my parents and my boyfriend's parents the greeting of a number one fan.)
having a little kid around gives you even more excuses to act like a little kid and not get funny looks from people. like walking on only certain color tiles because the rest is hot lava at the grocery store.  
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games