Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Daffodil Movement

Back to Guilds

Guild for the Daffodil Movement, a cancer awareness movement here on Gaia. 

Tags: cancer, awareness, daffodils, daffodil, movement 

Reply Memorials [honor your loved ones with a permanent and always editable Memorial]
Judson Hopkins

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blaizekit
Captain

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:30 am
Judson Hopkins
May 29, 2009
Lung Cancer

Gina Hopkins
May 1, 2008
Melanoma

He just couldn't live without her.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 am
May 1, 2009 was the 1 year anniversary of my mother's death. It was also the date for the Relay for Life at my old high school, so of course I was going to go.

After I had been there several hours I got a phone call from my stepfather Jud. He sounded strangely serene as he told me that he either had bronchitis or lung cancer.

I'm not really one for hysteria, especially when it comes to things that might be, but I melted down right under an empty outdoor canopy and cried and cried. All I could say over and over was, "Is this a joke? Is this a joke?" and I felt like either it was impossible that he had lung cancer, or it was inevitable.

It had to be one or the other, because how else could one explain getting this news on the anniversary of her death, while at a cancer relay? It was perfect. Far, far, too perfect.

Once he found out that it was, indeed, lung cancer, it really didn't take very long for him to end up in the same hospice as she did.

Do I think that he might as well have wished himself into the grave? Most definitely. He was happy to go. He wanted to go.

And when I think of that, it makes me frustrated and angry. He had no regard for me or what I was going through. Sure he had lost his wife but I had lost my mother, my mother, and I was already in bad shape from the anniversary as well as taking summer classes at college. No pity at all. None.

And so he was buried next to her and I picked a tiger lily from the top of the lavish grave bouquet.  

Blaizekit
Captain

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
Memorials [honor your loved ones with a permanent and always editable Memorial]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers