A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Serious Conversations
A rant to vent

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think our youth should be held to the same standards we were held to?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

Sweet_lil_tomboy

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:22 am
Hi folks, hope you are having a wonderful day and thanks for reading this in advance. Now on to the rant.
I've been sending messages in bottles, it's fun and you get to meet new people. However I have noticed that a lot of people out there can't spell or form a proper sentence structure. What is happening to our youth? This no child left behind, nurture without discipline and talk about lazy; idk instead of I don't know. What's that all about? It's nonsense.
I'll tell you what, if this is an example of what our future is going to be, we are all in trouble.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:32 pm
Someone created a guild about this - Literally Literate - unfortunately, I'm not very active in it.

The thing I've also noticed lately - is adults who cannot spell or use proper punctuation or grammar. This makes me really sad.

I know we have spell check now and I am so very thankful for that - but to me, the ability to spell and form coherent written sentences is a sign of intelligence.

I have also read articles about schools allowing text speak in written papers and tests. When you forget what IDK stands for I think you have a problem. smile  

Shinigami Unity

VodkaLeona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:36 am
I've always had a problem with run on sentences even with spell check. I had that problem back in high school and it was never corrected. I've also noticed that now that I am older I misspell words I never misspelled before and the typing on the computer has made finding those mistakes harder because I can be lazy about it and use the spell check. I hope I can help my daughter when she gets into school but I will never be able to correct her paper and tell her what a run on sentence is.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:40 am
When typing or writing a lot I've noticed that certain ways of spelling things and the run on sentences are pretty much my mark in the way I speak on the paper. It's my mark. Unlike the shorthand txt that many of the young gaian's use that is viewed as being illiterate. I would find myself literate even with these mistakes. I use full sentences for example even though they are long sentences.  

VodkaLeona

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:11 pm
"No child left behind" is not a good example. That act actually caused children to be given more work rather than let them be lazy. Kids these days have more homework than I did when I was in school, and that's due to "no child left behind".

I think if you're going to blame anything for txt tlk, it would be text messaging and cell phones. It's harder to type out full words in a text message because it takes longer, and I believe {I could be wrong as I never owned a cell phone or texting device in my life} they used to charge per message length on messages, thus making it less costly to use acronyms and abbreviations... hence why you see acronyms and abbreviations in newspaper ads {which charge by the letter}.

If it is true that kids are being allowed to get away with txt tlk for school work, though... then I think I just died a little inside. stare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:54 am
From the articles I read, it was not in the US (that kids weren't docked points for using text-speak).

But I could really see it becoming an issue here.  

Shinigami Unity

Veddhartha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:55 am
EmptySoul is right about text message lengths. With Nokia cellphones, its (*crumbling noises*) 160 mark per one message, but you can write longer (I've gotten message 3x160 marks), then it just sends two messages one after another to receiver.

So no wonder text messages have shortened the quick message chatting. To recall my own youth and when I was more active on certain sites, there was even then among mundane people serious lack of patience. Because Internet is fast, you too have to be fast on replying to others who use Internet. (Damn lolcats, I almost spelled 'has' xD)

I overheard a two teachers speaking at Finnish-English school when I was doing a substitute job there. They were frustrated about the fact that some kids start to mix English and Finnish in same sentences, speaking gibberish and trying to use shortenings. Of course, they're not allowed to write or speak such gibberish. "I'll take my reppu." isn't proper English, as it wasn't proper Finnish in other way around.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:40 pm
We are in trouble, here in the US startling numbers of people these days graduate high school with close to no skills in mathematics, science and yes -basic reading and writing.

A decent education is costly, and educated people tend to be harder to manipulate -so I expect this trend to only get worse.  

Corbin Noir

Koichi Wing

Moonlight Lover

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:24 am
I will talk to my mom or I will remember more about "No Child Left Behind" But overall it's worse. as in Schools can lose funding. More later after i had sleep.

my college disallows text speech and other bad english in papers and so on. but yes I do believe that the english language is on it's death bed and on life support while the cancers called txt and l33t speech eat away at the internal workings of English. XD  
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games