Reply Serious Conversations
Staying with the love?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:15 pm
I am a college senior on the verge of graduation. I have loans [about 15-20k] that need to be repaid. I was considering doing Teach for America, which gives me a double advantage, one being that they would help me out with the loans, and that the State of Texas is kinder with teachers who teach in low income areas when it comes to loans.

My question lies within location. There is a district that needs teachers right near where the one I love happens to live. It'd be easier on both of us in terms of distance and such, and I'd be able to spend time with him. But I'm not too sure about the neighborhood...it's not exactly Mr. Roger's hangout spot. The kids are mostly disrespectful, the grades are down, and nearly everyone needs a handout.

I would like to go and do stuff, but I have a hard time with distance. I get homesick quite easily. I would like to be with him too. Anyone out there got advice for me?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:48 am
Sometimes the scariest thing in life is to take that first initial step out into the world. The unknown element of what lies a head and the confusion that comes with starting out, leaving everything we know behind, can cause us to second guess ourselves.
My advise to you is this: Take that step. If this is what you want to do is set out and make a difference and this is how you want to do it; then do it.
The worst thing that could happen is that you find out you don't like it or you are unable to handle the demands of the environment...in which case you can change direction, and try a different teaching environment.
Good Luck Sweetie and Congratulations.... heart  

Sweet_lil_tomboy

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:58 pm
unless you want to live in the same place for the rest of your life, you're going to eventually have to get over that homesickness. One way to try to do that is to make yourself bear it. I'm sure everyone gets homesick sometimes, and it's especially common in younger years when you're first going out there on your own, however if you keep running back to "home", you'll never get anywhere.

As for the neighborhood, I can't comment on the one you speak of specifically, but I can tell you that the one I grew up in was considered "bad" by others. However, I never really noticed. Sometimes what people call or consider "bad neighborhoods" aren't actually nearly as "bad" as they make them sound. Sure they may not be your idea of a great place to live, but they are still livable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:28 am
Dameon_Patron_of_Healing
I am a college senior on the verge of graduation. I have loans [about 15-20k] that need to be repaid. I was considering doing Teach for America, which gives me a double advantage, one being that they would help me out with the loans, and that the State of Texas is kinder with teachers who teach in low income areas when it comes to loans.

My question lies within location. There is a district that needs teachers right near where the one I love happens to live. It'd be easier on both of us in terms of distance and such, and I'd be able to spend time with him. But I'm not too sure about the neighborhood...it's not exactly Mr. Roger's hangout spot. The kids are mostly disrespectful, the grades are down, and nearly everyone needs a handout.

I would like to go and do stuff, but I have a hard time with distance. I get homesick quite easily. I would like to be with him too. Anyone out there got advice for me?

I say GO FOR IT! You sound like a smart, caring girl. heart I know it's scary striking out on your own - keep in touch with your folks often is you have to... E-mails, phone, what have you. You sound liek you'll do great Bright Blessing to ya!  

Venuslady

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:10 pm
I don't really have much to say on the topic becasue Fargo, ND doesn't really have a distinction between "good" and "bad" neighboorhoods (some would argue).

But I do want to say about the homesickness:

I call my Mommy almost every day - and we email constantly during work. She lives about 7 miles from me (I see her quite often too).

I don't get homesick because I like independence, but I do feel very comforted by being in constant contact with me Mommy (and I call her that too).

So, at least, maybe don't feel so bad about homesickness? It happens to the best of us?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:24 am
Still stuck on a location, but we'll see next month whether I even qualify for the locations I am hoping to work in.

Wish me luck...with my GPA, I'm gonna need it. >.>  

Patron with a Mission

Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces