Submit

Which term is better???
Bonus-parent
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Step-parent
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Fake-parent (as opposed to "real" mom or dad)
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Non-biological parent
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Malheureux
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:46 pm
Arnold Schwarzenegger
PROCLAMATION
by the
Governor of the State of California

The development of our youth is our greatest responsibility, and every parent plays a crucial part in this undertaking. As a child’s mentor, friend, caretaker and counselor a parent faces unparalleled challenges - but also immeasurable rewards.

We are reminded by the vast number of children living with stepfamilies each day that parenthood is more than a biological relationship. Stepparents are prominent figures in a child’s life, offering emotional support and act as positive role models. We recognize stepparents’ important contributions to building healthy families by proclaiming the first Sunday in October as Stepparents day.

On Stepparents Day and throughout the year, California honors stepparents, whose nurturing and guidance help our young people lead purposeful, successful lives.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim October 2, 2005 as “Stepparents Day.”

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have here unto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this the thirtieth day of September 2005.

/s/ Arnold Schwarzenegger

Governor of California

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am
O.o

Noooo, my stepmom has ONE day [her birthday] and that's enough for me.  

Patron with a Mission

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:45 pm
My stepdad has been married to my mom for about 5 years. She has been very happy with him and has grown tremendously as a person. He is a semi decent guy who has made an effort in the past years to learn to deal with me and how I am versus how I act.

I am the instigator in my family - I am the one who argues for the sake of trying to get people to see that there isn't just one side. I am the person who tells Uncle Joe he's being a jerk. I demand an apology. My stepdad is not used to strong women (I'm really not. I just act like it in my family. Because they need it.)

You know what?

I do'nt call him on father's day. I don't call him anything but his first name. I really think he could be the most perfect person and I still wouldn't (sometimes we annoy each other).

Even though the guy who raised me (it's questionable whether he's my biological dad) is the scum of the earth, Father is something reserved just for him. Even if he isn't my actual biological dad (he was there for a majority of my life).

However, as a woman divorced with children, I can see how important a role my boyfriend plays in my children's lives. Even though I tell my kids he isn't going to be their stepparent, just him being around is influencial. They might someday want a day like this to have an excuse to tell him how they really feel.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:58 pm
kinda old post, but i'm an evil step mom...well i try to be. The child giggles and thinks it's funny. I don't get it...

she asks me questions she should be asking her mom. i answer them the best i can, knowing i can't cross any lines (I'm not the mom). sometimes i get the feeling her mom expects me to take care of certain growing up issues that her daughter is/appears to be having. (it's a long story)

i don't mind being the evil step mom, i was a sort of surrogate parent to many group home children for many years. i still wonder about them; hope they are doing well.

so if i had the choice i guess being a bonus parent would be a good title. since the children of divorced parents get 2 of everything...like a bonus, but very different. (assuming all the positives; only)  

Chimaria

Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff