Cooking for allergies Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:13 am
The dreaded allergy. Suddenly you are unable to eat anything connected with it, or perhaps you have been avoiding the food all your life. Either way, an allergy makes cooking into even more of an adventure than it already is.

Here we can discuss:

Diet changes
Allergy challenges and restrictions
Recipes and advice
Stories of challenges faced and overcome.

Personally, I have recently developed an allergy to wheat. This means that almost everything on a "normal" diet is denied me. This includes anything with Monosodium glutimate (MSG) and anything with "modified corn starch" in it. It has been, to put it mildly, challenging. Going out to eat is often next to impossible. Suddenly food is not enjoyable to me, it is a chore and great inconvenience. I'm still trying to find meals to eat that are easy, fast and enjoyable under my new dietary restrictions.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:02 pm
I'm having trouble believing that I'm the only one on here with a food allergy.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:43 am
I'm allergic to pineapple and when I drink a lot of milk I get sick for a week. -_- Also when I eat anything with gluten I get super bloated. -_-

So to help with this. I don't eat pineapple or anything with it in it. I drink vanilla soy milk, which is yummy when you add chocolate syrup. <3 And I eat gluten free breads and cakes now. <3

I wanna make banana muffins now. <3

.: heart :.~b_b_a~.: heart :.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:17 pm
I'm still trying to find a flour or mix of flours that works on a 1:1 (or close thereabouts) substitution with wheat flour. Do you have any suggestions?

I find for muffins the Glutino brand has a fantastic muffin mix. I've used it for plain, cheese, banana chocolate chip, and blueberry muffins so far.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:40 pm
Ugh! I know the feeling! I'm allergic to corn! Can you believe that? Corn, it's in everything...I can't eat anything. So I feel your pain.

Lately I've been using a lot of soy and rice products they work pretty well and the taste isn't affected much.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 pm
That's exactly how I feel about the wheat. Can't eat anything. Why is it that we as a culture seem unable to produce food without chemically modifying and adding either corn or wheat?

We even overlap. "Modified corn starch" is "modified" by adding wheat.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:04 pm
Yeah we do! Because the wheat flour I bought was "modified" with cornstarch! Lol.

I guess because it makes things cheaper? I don't know but it drives me crazy but at least with your allergy the FDA will put "contains wheat" on products I have to search the labels for corn, because corn isn't a common enough allergy (yet) they aren't required to put it on the labels.

Screw corn, just give me rice and soy!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:17 pm
Ya, the dumbest thing of this whole thing is: I've never really liked rice.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 pm
That really sucks, I've recently found cooking with potato works really well. A lot better than any other sort of flour or thickening agent I've tried.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:00 pm
Indeed, potato starch is a fairly wondrous thing. Have you played with xanthan gum at all? I have some, but I haven't tried making anything with it yet.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:44 pm
No I haven't, tell me how it goes when you do try it.

But I've been wanting to try agar agar though...I hear it's good for some stuff, like making jellies.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:49 pm
I've only ever played with agar in biology classes. Makes a good jelly. Grows amazing microorganism colonies. Last time I played with it was for an evolutionary biology lab in which we made a strain of e-coli bacteria resistant to a common antibiotic.

I really don't think I could eat the stuff after that. Absolutely no desire to use it in my food.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:44 pm
Lol. I could see why, I think it's different for culinary uses but...I do see your point.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:44 pm
And suddenly it's a good thing that I've never really liked Jello.

It's probably different when cooked for eating purposes, but I'm pretty sure that I would be entirely turned off by the smell alone.  

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

Hester Peche

Perfect Genius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:30 pm
Neither have I...gelatinous textures...bother me...

Does it smell that bad?  
16. ✿ - - - Food, Cooking & Baking

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces