54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Maybe?
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
I don't know, I didn't understand a word you said.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

faretheewell

Eloquent Informer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 am
I was talking to a coworker yesterday, and this came up. It is entirely a cerebral exercise.

Perfection is something that is admired by most people. The greatest compliment is that something is "perfect." However, true perfection is something that can never be achieved. More than that, if someone were to achieve perfection they would have nothing left to strive for. There would no longer be a point to life. Achieving the goal is not a desirable outcome.

So, if achieving the goal is not desirable, why should we strive for perfection? Should we strive for perfection? Why should we not strive for perfection? If perfection is no longer the goal, what is the goal?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:13 am
faretheewell
So, if achieving the goal is not desirable, why should we strive for perfection?

Because we can never get there, so it's a safe goal to give you something to do all your life without the risk of running out of goals? razz  

Arrowlake Riddler

eccentricanomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:24 am
If you're not striving for "perfection" or being the best or whatever, then what are you striving for? Why not make "perfection" your goal? If you're not trying to get somewhere and get better at something, then are you really trying at all?

Everyone has a different idea of what "perfect" is, so "perfection" cannot ever really happen.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:34 am
I don't personally strive for perfection.
I know that my goals are little compared to others goals, and huge compared to others. I've recently learned I can't compare myself to others because what they want and what I want are vastly different.
I know I can't be perfect, but I try my best to be happy with the things I can't change about myself.

Sensation Ari

5,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200

MobuiroBato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:25 pm
Perfection is impossible cause it has a different meaning for each and every person in the world  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:31 pm
Exactly. It depends on what one's perception of "perfection" is. My definition of perfect is when I am completely confident and happy with the results of whatever I am doing. Therefore, for me, perfection is attainable, but not for every aspect of life.  

Hikari No Tamashii

Angel9547

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:37 pm
this seems like a anorexia question, because some anorexic women sometimes die from trying to achieve perfection, Because these women believe that being skinny is perfection, and beauty is perfection. They strive for this, and they can never achieve it, and this is why that, if they are not helped, may die.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:42 pm
Perfection is the goal, but the goal isn't the important part. The journey on your way to seek that goal is. You choose a goal that you can never reach so that your journey will never end.  

AriaStarSong

ThornySinger

2,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:54 pm
"At school, I learned that practice makes perfect. But then I learned that no body's perfect, so I stopped practicing." ~Unknown
Well, goals are to make themselves better. No one can be perfect, but that doesn't mean that you should stop trying. once you complete a goal, you set another goal for yourself. If you complete all goals, then good for you. What can you do you ask? You help others reach their goals now.

Perfection is a flaw in itself. (Learned that from my best friend StarHowl, the brightest person I know alive.)  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:41 am
Angel9547
this seems like a anorexia question, because some anorexic women sometimes die from trying to achieve perfection, Because these women believe that being skinny is perfection, and beauty is perfection. They strive for this, and they can never achieve it, and this is why that, if they are not helped, may die.

Anorexia is also a disease. Those girls don't see themselves for what they are, there's an issue in their brain. They aren't striving for "perfection," they're striving for anything they don't call "disgusting," which is themselves, all of the time.  

johnlennonandcupcakes

johnlennonandcupcakes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:44 am
eccentricanomaly
If you're not striving for "perfection" or being the best or whatever, then what are you striving for? Why not make "perfection" your goal? If you're not trying to get somewhere and get better at something, then are you really trying at all?

Everyone has a different idea of what "perfect" is, so "perfection" cannot ever really happen.

I agree that everyone is always working toward their "idea" of perfection.
I know that personally, if I don't try to do things to my best ability, I feel terrible about the result. Even if I do great, but didn't try, it doesn't feel the same. I feel like, in order to be proud of something, I have to keep perfection in mind.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:24 am
I used to try to be perfect, but I realized I was beating myself up when I inevitably failed to be perfect. Some people may prefer to have an unattainable goal, but it did me no favors. I think the problem is that if something is perfect, no one can find fault with it. We all know thats never going to happen.

Now, I strive to be me to the fullest. Thats a little hard to explain, but basically it means that I try to do things that I can be proud of. I don't have to think its the best or that its perfect, and neither does anyone else. But I should be able to take some pride in my efforts.  

Kaiyle Brightblade

BannedAccount8623822

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:38 pm
In my opinion nobody can me "perfect". We all have some flaws and sins therefore it makes us imperfect.

I have a best friend of mine, she wants to be "perfect" at everything. Without perfection she doesn't have a goal, she wants to be the best of everyone and show people what she's made out of.

I'm actually quite worried about her, I don't mind that she has a goal and that she wants to beat people. Doesn't everyone want that? But the part where she wants to be perfect in EVERYTHING even though she cannot now that's the problem...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:35 am
I think it is a great goal because it will never happen in this lifetime. It gives us something that we can work towards our entire lives, a nice stream of motivation to keep us going throughout the day.

In my religion we believe in striving for perfection because although we won't get there in this life, it is the desire of the heart that matters, and the fact that we acted on it.

u nd i

iDorkosaurous_Rex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:40 am
Sensation Ari
I don't personally strive for perfection.
I know that my goals are little compared to others goals, and huge compared to others. I've recently learned I can't compare myself to others because what they want and what I want are vastly different.
I know I can't be perfect, but I try my best to be happy with the things I can't change about myself.

User ImageUser Image

Yesh, I have something to say.

And yet, that's considered a way of striving for perfection. But I don't know if I do strive for perfection all the time, but my friends say I do. And when ever I get close or get at my goal, I feel happy with myself. I know we can never be perfect, but with out goals we have little to strive for.

I guess we'll never know, because I forgot.

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff