Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Last Chase

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:57 pm
So I have recently decided that I am going to cut out corporate companies from my life. So far there hasn't been much of a struggle, simply because I go to work and not much else at the moment.
One thing I am running into however is finding places. I live in Colorado, Littleton to be precise (as most people know from my other random rants -sorry-) and today, after I got out of work, I ended up searching for about a hour, trying to find a place to eat.
I actually went into a place, asked if they were corporate, and when they said yes, I left. I knew it would be tough, but I just really want to find some local places that have what I'm looking for.
Today I wanted to get something sweet, but the candy store I know of and they closed before I could get there. Does any one have a list of places? or maybe some tips? This is actually just an experiment at the moment, I want to see if I can do it, how hard it is, etc.
So if anyone has anything please let me know!!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:41 pm
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is "corporate" in the context in which you are using it? When you said you were trying to cut "corporate" out, I thought you simply meant not going to places like Starbucks, McDonalds, and Wal-mart... and to be more strict, also avoiding brand names such as Coca-Cola. However, when you said you went into a place and asked if they were corporate, that is what confused me.

What makes a place "corporate"?

As far as eating is concerned, if you don't want to do "corporate", then you should learn to make your own meals {it's also cheaper}.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:37 pm
Definition of coporation: a business firm whose articles of incorporation have been approved in some state (google)

How to become incorporated: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Become-Incorporated&id=325245

First of all, I live in Fargo, ND. I could pick out and tell you every single local restaurant there is there. However, a place doesn't have to necessarily be Starbucks huge to be incorporated. So to get decent answers, I think you need to be a litlte more concise:

What exactly are you looking for in a restaurant?
What exactly are you trying to accomplish by "cutting out all corporations from your life"?

From a customer service stand point, I think it depends a lot on the particular restaurant or chain. Some chains, like Starbucks, are very strict on how their employees can behave. Some, like Subway and Wendy's, deal with customer service on a local level.

But I would like to hear your answers before I could give you some decent insight.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:02 am
I'm really just trying to support local businesses. Right now it's more about going with out the things that we have become so dependent on. Fast food restaurants, department stores, things like that.
While doing this I've discovered downtown littleton is the perfect place. Everything in there is privately owned.
Like I said, this is more of an experiment than anything else. Right now I've just simply stopped going to places that aren't locally owned.  

The Last Chase

5,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:14 am
Locally owned businesses are getting harder to find, no matter where you are. Seems like most of the restaurants are Applebees, Red Robin's, Shari's, etc. Not many mom & pop's left these days. I'd like some "fresh" cooked not frozen reheat sometimes.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:55 am
Some local business still may be "incorporated" even though they are a "mom & pop" sort of locally owned place. This is because of the tax shelter that being a corporation can provide. There are also LLC's (Limited Liability Company) too which is easier for a smaller shop to do and still have some protection but I'm not sure if this is technically a "corporation".  

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:34 am
An LLC isn't technically a corporation, but it's close enough in my opinion.

As far as "reheated" food goes - I think that goes more for how much you're willing to pay than what status the company is. Some local restaurants do it to save cash, too. Quality doesn't come with an attorney, like incorporating a business does - it often comes with the patience to scour it out and the cash to afford it.

But I'm glad you found something that you like!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:50 am
Hey Chase -- I'm in Parker just down the proverbial road from you!

I actually work for the evil empire Starbucks. I won't go into a diatribe about that. I commend your desire to support only local mom-n-pops.

Downtown Littleton is awesome, I agree. There are a few other little pockets you could visit. A couple of blocks east of Washington Park, there are a variety of little shops and restaurants. Also check out on Pearl St. (not Boulder!) north of Evans Ave. There are a few blocks of funkiness.

Downtown Castle Rock has a bunch of businesses too. Parker itself has a few but not enough to make it a big trip for you or anything.

Being in the food industry though, I will say that the corporations tend to enact stricter product, health and cleanliness standards than your local businesses. Just a thought.  

Tigerlily Danderfluff

850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items