Welcome to Gaia! ::

Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Back to Guilds

"Helping" Final Fantasy fans with their addictions since 2004. 

Tags: Final Fantasy, RPGs, Square Enix 

Reply Chatterbox (Non-FF Discussion)
Square Enix

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Terror Of DeathX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:11 pm
Have have some questions that maybe someone here can help answer for me. I am very bad at understanding game publishing and etc. Square Einx is a cooperate publishing company right? Many Developers under there name correct? Does Square get full ownership of whatever the developers make or some or no ownership? I was going thru an list of games that have been released under there name and was reminded that alot of games HAVE there name on it but was developed by the many companies they have absorbed. Like tri-Ace, Level-5 and etc.

So these developers make the game and Square ships them out or something??  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:54 pm
Actually, I have no idea, but that's an intresting question.  

ArikaiHart

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:53 am
Square Enix is both a developer and a publisher. So, a lot (I want to say most, but I really have no clue) of their games, like Final Fantasy, they made entirely themselves. Then you have a game like The World Ends with You, which was developed by both Square Enix and Jupiter... and a game like Radiata Stories, which was developed by just tri-Ace. So, since the publisher is paying to make the game, they really get most of the power, but... I figure it works like an author and book publisher, if you know any more about how that works. To be honest, I'm not an expert on the subject myself, but these articles seem to be very helpful regarding what you're asking. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:58 am
Ravenwolf
Square Enix is both a developer and a publisher. So, a lot (I want to say most, but I really have no clue) of their games, like Final Fantasy, they made entirely themselves. Then you have a game like The World Ends with You, which was developed by both Square Enix and Jupiter... and a game like Radiata Stories, which was developed by just tri-Ace. So, since the publisher is paying to make the game, they really get most of the power, but... I figure it works like an author and book publisher, if you know any more about how that works. To be honest, I'm not an expert on the subject myself, but these articles seem to be very helpful regarding what you're asking. 3nodding
Thank you very much!!!  

Terror Of DeathX

Terror Of DeathX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:01 pm
Ok NOW it makes sense. Square would be considered both a developer and a publisher. And when they work with other developers they both have a say on what goes into the game, but at the end of the day the publisher has more say to anything because, well they are paying XD.

But if the developer has asked that they have the rights to what they have created then only that developer has a say if there characters and etc end up.

I don't think Square is that evil and makes all the developer give Square the rights to to what they make. That be much like Halo and Microsoft.  
Chatterbox (Non-FF Discussion)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games