Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Convention Attention: Panel Pride

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:43 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This thread is to discuss-- you guessed it-- panels. Talk about your favorite panels, ones you've been a part of/hosted, ones you wish you saw more of, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:18 am
Guess I'll go first then :3

I don't really go to many panels myself-- The ones I do are either certain musical guests I went to the con mainly to see, JRock panels, and occassionally a few anime ones (usually to find new series)

My favorite panels are the musical guests ones just because not only do I love their music, but the artists are usually so nice and funny and all around amazing >3< I saw Versailles in Texas (flew halfway across the country for them!) and went to their panel and they were absolute dolls! Omg, they were so funny and so sweet and there were so many "Awwwww~!" moments. I've also seen VAMPS (has Hyde as their lead singer) and they were funny too >3<

I tried to run a JRock theme panel once before but due to miscommunication amongst the other panel members, one of them dropping out, and school ending, we had no time to put together a panel I would be proud of, so we cancelled it. Which was also a good thing because a "rival" JRock panel happened to be run by one of the girls I was rooming with (her other panel member was arguing with me on an open convention forum and there was a bit of hostility-- lame reason for a fight, I know = 3= )
Anyways, went to their panel in support of my roommate/just to see what their panel was, and I ended up leaving 2/3rds of the way through because it was rather disappointing. I find most JRock panels disappointing as its usually just fangirls talking on and on about what bands they like while music plays in the background. Like, it's pretty much just a lecture-- Nothing entertaining or to get people involved :/
Hopefully I can put together another panel for a future convention, but we'll see how that pans out this time around.

salsaplant

GO

iheartevil

5,150 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:51 pm
I've helped run a couple of panels. I've been on the cosplay and the cons 101 panels for Uchi-Con (small one day con run at the University of Chicago) for the last two years, but sadly won't be doing them next year as the friend who went there graduated. This year I was also on the Higurashi panel at the same convention.

I also was on the Ball Jointed Doll panel this year at NatsuCon with other members of the St. Louis Doll group.

Usually though I don't really go to panels since I'm swamped with cosplay during the day. If I do make it to panels they tend to be ball joint doll panels. I'm thinking about applying to do one at ACen next year and I'm almost certain I'm going to apply to do one at Anime St. Louis. I was going to this year, but real life interfered.

My favorite panel ever though I actually didn't want to attend but got drug along by a friend. It was for the mangaka of Brave Story. Attendance for his panel was so low that he drew and signed sketches of the main characters and then gave them away via rock, paper, scissors. Everyone also got bookmarks of the three main characters and he signed on of them for you. We ended up walking past his autograph line later, which was SWAMPED. Since then if I really want someone's autograph I make it a point to go to their panel just in case.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:49 pm
To this day I haven't found a panel I fully enjoyed. :/ Guess I'm just not a panel kind of person.  

AirborneInfection

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:18 am
AirborneInfection
To this day I haven't found a panel I fully enjoyed. :/ Guess I'm just not a panel kind of person.

Though that one that we went to where we found out about anime we should watch (and that b***h otaku girl kept yelling out how she had seen like all of them = 3= ) was pretty good-- Found a lot of animes I really enjoyed *nodnod*  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:41 am
The only panel I been to was at AX 08, it was called Cosplay: Overdoing it where a bunch of One Piece cosplayers from northern CA who call themselves The Crazy Crazy Rainbow Stars shared their cosplay knowledge, it was pretty good, this year they supposedly got a bigger room and more time to discuss things but alas I did not attend, as for the CCRS themselves, they are pretty cool people themselves  

The Lone Wolf Jedi

3,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250

WildSpice

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:10 am
I did a panel called "Cosplay Do's and Don'ts" at AnimeNextb one year and my friends came and were "cheerleaders" at the panel, they drew the sign for it and my friends and I did the panel.
Another time there was an empty panel room for the Cosplay.com panel at AnimeNext and my friend and I took over the panel randomly, it was fun.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:23 am
Since I'm one of the older convention goers, I tend to flock more to the old timer panels that talk about the sentai shows, Ranma, and the impact of Sailor Moon on the hentai movement (which sadly I couldn't attend at Otakon kos it was PACKED). The other morbid interest I have are the "Ask A Ninja" panels with people dressed as Naruto characters answering questions in character, and yes, lots of those are about yaoi. As long as the guys doing the panel are having fun, I'll have fun too.

Which reminds me...I'm trying to organize a Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors panel at Otakon. Might need to test the forum waters for interest there.  

RyanJakobi

Aged Humorist

23,925 Points
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

faelixir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:40 am
My first panel I attended was with the GhostHunters (you know, from the popular t.v. show). They were so amazing to talk to and meet in person. They were so realistic and down to earth, and had a good sense of humor when someone asked a dumb question, which I thought was nice since they didn't go all superior over them for asking an obvious question. My other favorite was when I actually got to meet Charlaine Harris, or the author of the Sookie Stackhouse books (now a show on HBO, TrueBlood), and got her to sign my first copy of her first novel. I was really scared about it to tell the truth, and I was all shaky. Ah, the newbie within me turned that day.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:39 pm
Only panel I made it to was Hangry and Angry faq. Didn't plan on going, but when my friend and I bought their cd, we were given tickets that ensured us to be placed ahead of people without tickets at the signing after the faq. There were a lot of people, but it was fun and Im really glad I went ^^.  

MystRivin

Aged Survivor

4,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Healer 50

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:13 pm
At Otakon 2008, I went to 2 panels. I saw the Derek Stephen Prince panel first and then I saw the Kappei Yamaguchi panel right afterwards. I went to Derek's panel because he does the American voice of Shino from Naruto and Kappei Yamaguchi does the Japanese voice of Usopp (I'm a Shino and Usopp fan girl).

Derek Stephen Prince: At his panel, we could shout out any accent and he'd talk in that accent. My friend and I were in line to ask him a question, but we didn't get our turn because Derek wouldn't have had enough time to show us two Bleach AMVs that he made (one was an Uryuu tribute {he voices Uryuu} with the song "Black Parade"). My friend and I still got passes to get priority spots to get his autograph during the autograph session (people who asked Derek a question and those who were in line got a pass to get a priority spot).

Kappei Yamaguchi: That panel started right after the Derek Stephen Prince panel ended so my friend, her dad, her 2 cousins, and I were rushing from the 2nd floor to the third floor to get to the panel. We were only there for the first half since the autograph session for Derek Stephen Prince started 30 minutes into the Kappei panel. At least Kappei Yamaguchi sang the Sogeking song.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm
I hosted my first panel ever at Daisho '09. It was on Anime Musicals and it went really good. I'm going to be holding it again at Nobrand '10  

Kilala831

5,800 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items