I want to make a Blue Mage, a kind of sorcerer who learns spells by having them cast on him. I'm basing it loosely on the class from the final fantasy series. I enjoy leveling up in RPGs and thought it would be fun to do something like that on gaia: I would have him wander from RP to RP (mostly in Barton Town) learning new abilities when he gets in fights. I was wondering what kinds of spells to have him start off with.

His backstory would be that he's mostly human but with various cross breeds in his ancestry. His parents tried teaching him magic the conventional way but it didn't work. They almost gave up when his mother remembered her great uncle only learned spells by absorption. The more spells he learns the, the more powerful he becomes and as his power grows he is able to learn more powerful spells.
When they figured out he had the same ability they used weak cantrips on him so he learn them and also to build his magic resistance. He took lessons in swordsmanship for standard self-defense. Then his father arranged for him to train for several months with monks so he could build his vitality. Through his training and constant sparring with the monks he learned basic martial arts and a couple of the weaker Ki attacks the monks practiced on him.
Now he sets off on a journey to fulfill his potential as a blue mage and learn every spell and ability he can.

I was thinking he can learn more than regular spells but also abilities monsters use, for example is a giant wasp used poison sting he could learn it but since he doesn't have a stinger he would morph slightly when he used the ability, his fingernails would grow, sharpen and become poisonous for a short period of time.

What I was wondering is what spells and abilities should I have him start out with?
I don't want him to be too powerful but would be likely to have learned during his training?