Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Arena Threads and Gaia Items
Great... Gaia made a shop for the few who are wealthy... >.< Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:44 pm
Oh well... the items there are garish.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:47 pm
I know right! Not like it's bad enough the "regular" items aren't a tad bit over priced, now they throw this at us! Then make up two new store that have "old" stuff in it, with a few "new" things thrown in there!  

Icy Reign

Unsealed Exhibitionist

Pflibbitz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:50 pm
Reminds me of a line in "You've Got Mail!"

"Money Changers!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:52 pm
What's worse... the prices on the garish items, or the fact that you can't buy them with Gaia Cash?  

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0

bellaxxmuerte

6,100 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:56 pm
that shop has crap and i wouldn't buy any of it even if i had a bazillion dollars evil  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:51 pm
Two words: Money Sink

They're taking some gold out of circulation to try to deal with inflation.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16 pm
ThisEmptySoul

Except the only people I can see buying that stuff are the obnoxious ones who want to flaunt their wealth. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:46 pm
Shin Showa Shougeki Z
ThisEmptySoul

Except the only people I can see buying that stuff are the obnoxious ones who want to flaunt their wealth. XD

Lol I know right, I saw that shop and saw it as an attempt to fix the economy but!! you don't solve and economy by selling an outrageously over priced item. That's just ridiculous.

This whole thing is going to become a status symbol.

Gaia has lost it's roots and has sold out. They are flat out saying hey, give us your money, or ask your parents for money. they used to ask nicely for donations. of course i understand that Gaia is a business, but they don't have to flat out say, "wipe our bums with your dollars" because they have been giving us crap for years. Some changes were good, I like the forums changed back to be colorful, the instantaneous communication of Towns, Rally, and zOMG is nice. the games are still fun and the guilds are amazing. This new header still fails to hold a Clan button, cinema's haven't worked since the R rated film "Starship Troopers" was a part of the collect, in full nudity too. Which was funny because this is a kids site. If they wanted a great R film, they probably should have picked one that didn't have nudity xD. and there's been other problems.

/rant  

Koichi Wing

Moonlight Lover

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:56 pm
I was wondering if they had left the nudity in starship troopers... I never went in to see it.

Honestly, I don't think the higher ups at Gaia know how to fix the economy and a "money sink" was all they could come up with. If the US government doesn't know how to fix an economy, what makes you think an online corporation would?

When they come out with new items in the shops, that helps a little, but hardly gets rid of any gold in circulation, especially since Gaia cash can also be used. Making really expensive items that can only be bought with gold makes it to where people are forced to throw their gold down in order to obtain it.

Yes, it mostly will just be a status symbol, but it still gets rid of some of those obnoxious people's wealth, and if they're not items you want anyway and are status only, I don't see why there's a reason to complain about it.

I do agree that Gaia has gotten greedy, though. I just about banged my head against the desk when I read that you could buy lotto numbers with Gaia cash stare

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:34 am
Ugly items at unbelievable prices ~ LOL

Maybe if the items were cute, some of the wealthy elite might buy, but good grief all Friday, that stuff is gah!  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:56 am
I think the idea was to try to make items that rich Gaians would buy, but also ones that the rest of Gaia was not going to be in a complete uproar about not being able to obtain... which of course would be incredibly tricky.

If they had really good looking items, while it would make them more desirable, it would also make the fact that most people cannot buy them more of a problem and cause much more complaining and protesting.

As stated earlier, a lot of who is going to buy them are the elitists who will just use them as status symbols, and as annoying as some people might find it for people to be flaunting their wealth like that, it at least takes that gold out of circulation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:35 am
ThisEmptySoul
I was wondering if they had left the nudity in starship troopers... I never went in to see it.

Honestly, I don't think the higher ups at Gaia know how to fix the economy and a "money sink" was all they could come up with. If the US government doesn't know how to fix an economy, what makes you think an online corporation would?

Yes, it mostly will just be a status symbol, but it still gets rid of some of those obnoxious people's wealth, and if they're not items you want anyway and are status only, I don't see why there's a reason to complain about it.

I do agree that Gaia has gotten greedy, though. I just about banged my head against the desk when I read that you could buy lotto numbers with Gaia cash stare

Yes the dummies didn't use the TBS and TNT late night Edited version. but I personally enjoyed not having the edits for language, nudity and so on because that is a fave movie of mine that i do not own yet xD

ummmm By not letting 13 year olds play with an economy? XD

It frankly doesn't matter to much of an extent? status symbols will be status symbols even if they are ugly. Example: The Bible. Out of all things, A bible used to be a status symbol. This signified that people were able to buy a bible and to read it as well.

Gaia is just looking for as much cash as this cash cow will milk, 13 year olds demanding money or spending money on pixels and other frivolous items that aren't real. yet to those 13 year olds it means something and it's a status symbol and they are happy that they got what they wanted. Soo yeah. I would really like to find a revenue statement or a balance sheet or a income statement. which of course some is propitiatory information but they do need to send out some financial information to the government and etc. it's not like Gaia has filed chapter 11 just yet, so if they aren't under 11 then they are making a profit.  

Koichi Wing

Moonlight Lover

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:44 am
Koichi Wing
ummmm By not letting 13 year olds play with an economy? XD
Honestly, even if there weren't younger ones on Gaia, the Gaian economy likely would not be in much better shape. It's easy to put the blame on the kids, but the problem is more complex than that... stemming from the way currency is created on Gaia and how easy it is to get.

Of course, an online community doesn't have quite as much legroom regarding the source of currency since it will always be created from nothing {since it's fake currency to begin with}, which is why they also have limited ways of reducing inflation. The only other option I can think of that would actually help aside from money sinks is to make gold harder to obtain... which is not a viable option seeing as how there would be many people outraged about not being able to get as much gold and would possibly quit. Also, making gold harder to obtain would still have to be used in conjunction with money sinks in order to be the most effective.

Your answer to "fixing" the Gaian economy goes to show that you know just as little about economics as those 13-year-old kids that you're blaming.

Edit- Actually, there is one other thing they could do, but of course they wouldn't because it means they would get less real money for it: remove the option to buy gold shop items with Gaia cash. When they release new items with a slightly higher price tag, some people who already have a store of Gaia cash will opt to just use their cash on the shop item instead of their gold. Making people pay gold for new items helps take gold out of circulation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:12 pm
Dernier Cri... For the most part it's a fail gold sink. The only people who are going to buy these rediculous items are the people looking for the status symbol. As a vendor it looks like a very bad investment just from the statement that the price could suddenly change. But every few days? Weeks? Months? We don't know. No one smart enough to make that much gold through vending is going to chance buying a 6000k item to have a zero or two hacked off on one a whim.

Don't even begin to complain about not being able to use cash in Dernier. I believe 1 Gaia Cash is worth about 60 gold (from what I just calculated from the stores), so 7m/60=about 116666 Gaia Cash, and Gaia Cash goes for about a dollar per 100, so it would end up being about $1166 if you were to buy the 7m item from the store with Gaia Cash.

Secondly the fact that they disappear isn't even enough to tempt a vendor to buy with the hopes that the MP value will rise. More likely than not the items that go away will come back in some way either through a RIG, as a contest prize or just back on the same shelves for millions again.

I'm not sure what the hell gaia is doing really. If they wanted gold out of the system they shouldn't have made the booty grab. When you get all water meat aquarium forums going people can rack up 50k easily in a day. Something like the lotto and this new millions gold shop isn't enough to get inflation to slow down and much less make things start to deflate.

::edits:: wealth on gaia is more common than people think. If all someone does is get MCs and EIs with cash and sell them off they could make quite the fortune for themselves without thought or effort.  

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Koichi Wing

Moonlight Lover

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:08 pm
ThisEmptySoul
Honestly, even if there weren't younger ones on Gaia, the Gaian economy likely would not be in much better shape. It's easy to put the blame on the kids, but the problem is more complex than that... stemming from the way currency is created on Gaia and how easy it is to get.

Of course, an online community doesn't have quite as much legroom regarding the source of currency since it will always be created from nothing {since it's fake currency to begin with}, which is why they also have limited ways of reducing inflation. The only other option I can think of that would actually help aside from money sinks is to make gold harder to obtain... which is not a viable option seeing as how there would be many people outraged about not being able to get as much gold and would possibly quit. Also, making gold harder to obtain would still have to be used in conjunction with money sinks in order to be the most effective.

Your answer to "fixing" the Gaian economy goes to show that you know just as little about economics as those 13-year-old kids that you're blaming.

Edit- Actually, there is one other thing they could do, but of course they wouldn't because it means they would get less real money for it: remove the option to buy gold shop items with Gaia cash. When they release new items with a slightly higher price tag, some people who already have a store of Gaia cash will opt to just use their cash on the shop item instead of their gold. Making people pay gold for new items helps take gold out of circulation.

Well I did fail college econ but even still. an economy is a delicate thing and if gaia pumps out too much money it's going to end like post ww2 germany. Sooo Gaia does need to fix this.

I must agree but disagree with your statement that the gaian gold is fake. I agree. it's completely fake. But it's also real Due to the premise of what is real "money"? it's a collection of paper and ink that happens to be worth 1 dollar. True there is an equivalent amount of gold mostly to back up the tender. but what makes real Fort Knox Gold valuable? it's people's trust in the dollar/euro/gold that it is worth what it is stated as. razz so yes, Gaian gold is fake because there isn't actual gold supporting it's value. biggrin

Gaia should hire in some economists and have them take a crack at it lol  
Arena Threads and Gaia Items

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces