Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Japanese Student Guild

Back to Guilds

The place to learn about Japan and all facets of Japanese culture 

Tags: Japanese, Student, Guild 

Reply The Japanese Student Guild
What does the Emperor of Japan do exactly?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King-Kai91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:52 pm
I know in Japan they have a Emperor Akihito and a Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama. But what does the Emperor do exactly like does he make all the decsions. For his country like what laws they have or does he have anything to do with Foreign relations of Japan?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:21 pm
Short Answer: He and his entire royal family are mere figureheads. No real power to speak of, in terms of shaping the nation's policies. The current Prince himself has said "If you ask me what the imperial family is all about, and I think and think and think about it, the very final conclusion is that our meaning lies in our simply existing. Waking up in the morning, eating breakfast, eating lunch, eating dinner, then going to sleep, repeating that 365 days a year."  

Koiyuki
Vice Captain

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Makaze~chan

Demonic Muse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:22 pm
I read in a book my friend Sayuri let me borrow-if I remember correctly-that he doesn't have government or military control, but is more an image for the people and also is involved in ceremonies and things like that. Don't quote me on it though. xP  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:55 pm
Makaze~chan
I read in a book my friend Sayuri let me borrow-if I remember correctly-that he doesn't have government or military control, but is more an image for the people and also is involved in ceremonies and things like that. Don't quote me on it though. xP
Thx!

Koiyuki
Short Answer: He and his entire royal family are mere figureheads. No real power to speak of, in terms of shaping the nation's policies. The current Prince himself has said "If you ask me what the imperial family is all about, and I think and think and think about it, the very final conclusion is that our meaning lies in our simply existing. Waking up in the morning, eating breakfast, eating lunch, eating dinner, then going to sleep, repeating that 365 days a year."
So then does Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama do most of the work, like as our President of America? Or mine sorry I don't what country you are from! XD sweatdrop  

King-Kai91

IdiotbyDefault
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:23 pm
He lost his role of power after World War II and the constitution they formed in 1947 strips him of his former role and makes him more a representation of his people. Although he can formally appoint the prime minister, he has to choose the canadiate that the Diet (Japan's legislative branch) has elected.

In essence, yes, the prime minister more closely resembles the president's role. Except in our system, congress can't dissolve the president and our president can't really dissolve congress. These actions (the first one anyway) can actually force another election.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:07 pm
I'd say the same as the Queen of England  

Bullet Sonata

King-Kai91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:41 pm
IdiotbyDefault
He lost his role of power after World War II and the constitution they formed in 1947 strips him of his former role and makes him more a representation of his people. Although he can formally appoint the prime minister, he has to choose the canadiate that the Diet (Japan's legislative branch) has elected.

In essence, yes, the prime minister more closely resembles the president's role. Except in our system, congress can't dissolve the president and our president can't really dissolve congress. These actions (the first one anyway) can actually force another election.
Thanks for giving that detailed answer.  
The Japanese Student Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff